Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #57,871 of 148,518
Mar 26, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #57,874 of 148,518
Who knows, maybe that is the KEY to the golden sound, a veritable 42 so to speak...

They all have gold-plated pins, so maybe you're right. :)

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #57,876 of 148,518
Does the Valhalla get that hot that you need the risers to touch? I have an Asgard and it used to feel hotter before.
Yep. It's not too hot to the touch. I just find it a bit unnerving sometimes. Schiit (in their earlier posts) assured me that as long as I keep its air holes clear, it won't self-immolate (love that word). After re-installing those socket-savers (and an upgraded shelving/storage unit), I can appreciate their copper-hued, lovely incandescent glow and heater patterns. My Asgard 2 also gets nice and toasty warm (especially in the lower corner, right of the volume knob [I believe there are several components using that zone as a radiator]).
If one socket saver is good, more must be better. Right? :) :)

Vali Adapter Stack.jpg
...you're an odd, odd, bea sea owen. :ksc75smile:

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #57,877 of 148,518
Drink enough moonshine and there will be a lot more "beautiful people".

:) At least until you go blind from lead poisoning. Manson probably has a song for that too. :)

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #57,883 of 148,518
I've been waiting for Schiit to name a product the "creek."
Maybe when they do a streamer...

It would have to have an expansion card called "paddle", so you could have Schiit Creek with a paddle, or Schiit Creek without a paddle. I'd recommend having a paddle (or even two!) for Schiit Creek.

If one socket saver is good, more must be better. Right? :) :)

Is that a stack of socket savers, or are you just happy to see me?

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #57,884 of 148,518
I've been running this combo for nearly 8 months...I can turn the volume up pretty loud and fortunately have never had clipping/over-current/thermal shutdowns. But it makes me wonder how many Watts are being sent out from each Aegir. If they're rated at 80W for 8 ohm speakers, does that mean it's doubled (160W) for 4 ohm?

Most of the time the Aegirs are sending fractions of a watt. For the Tektons, their sensitivity is claimed to be 98.82dB/2.83V@1m - which means that they get very loud with only a couple of watts being output.

Simplified: the way power amps work is they supply a changing voltage (the music) across the output terminals. The speaker sees the voltage and draws current in proportion to the intrinsic speaker impedance (Volts/Impedance = Amps of current). Note that impedance is a fairly complex (ha) property - it varies with frequency for instance - but to the first order this is how it works.

The power output is simply: Power = Current*Voltage, or combining the two equations: Power = Volts^2/Impedance. So, the power being output at any given time is a function of the voltage across the output terminals, which is determined by the input signal and the voltage gain of the amp. You'll notice that the power needed gets larger as the impedance gets smaller.

So, to answer your question, in theory the Aegir could send out well above 80W to the speaker, but at some point will overheat or become unstable, and shut down, probably well before you get close to 160W. At the same time, the sound output from your Tektons will get painful or even damaging to your hearing well before then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back