Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #57,857 of 149,156
Does anyone know how many watts each Aegir puts out in mono with 4 ohm speakers? Since the mono Aegirs are rated at 80W each with 8 ohm speakers, does that mean each puts out 160W with 4 ohm speakers?

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #57,858 of 149,156
Hi all, curious if anyone has tried the Jotunheim and Freya as a combination. Do these match in a chain driving both digital and turntables into both headphones and speakers? Would the Freya go first as as to be able to hear the TT in the headphones? Maybe this is overkill and a simple solution like Modi/Magni is the way.
Also could I sound out how people generally feel about Vidar vs Class D with higher wattage. Unfortunately I have zero real world experience with these electronics and am trying to piece this together from video reviews and online commentary. Would really appreciate any feedback even if by PM. I think I'm over thinking this.
Cheers
Nick

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #57,859 of 149,156
Does anyone know how many watts each Aegir puts out in mono with 4 ohm speakers? Since the mono Aegirs are rated at 80W each with 8 ohm speakers, does that mean each puts out 160W with 4 ohm speakers?

There is no rating for Aegir running as monoblocks into 4 ohms; the amp may run into clipping or thermal shutdown. That said IIRC the Tektons you are running are pretty sensitive, so you might be able to get away with it as long as you don't turn up the volume too high...

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #57,860 of 149,156

They are not really stable into 4 ohm mono, you will run into over-current issues if you push them hard at all...

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #57,861 of 149,156
Here is a photo I found online for you!vo6zb7q1z0o41.jpg
Pretty matt black!
Valhalla-2-cooling-March2020.jpg My bug-a-boo is over-flexed headphone jacks. I've lost several connections to it. My fix...

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #57,862 of 149,156
There is no rating for Aegir running as monoblocks into 4 ohms; the amp may run into clipping or thermal shutdown. That said IIRC the Tektons you are running are pretty sensitive, so you might be able to get away with it as long as you don't turn up the volume too high...
I've been running this combo for nearly 8 months...I can turn the volume up pretty loud and fortunately have never had clipping/over-current/thermal shutdowns. But it makes me wonder how many Watts are being sent out from each Aegir. If they're rated at 80W for 8 ohm speakers, does that mean it's doubled (160W) for 4 ohm?

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #57,863 of 149,156
I've been waiting for Schiit to name a product the "creek."
Maybe when they do a streamer...

LOL! I've always been partial to the Schitt EITR. Only possible improvement on that would have been to call it the EIT Schiit. :)

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #57,864 of 149,156
Hi all, curious if anyone has tried the Jotunheim and Freya as a combination. Do these match in a chain driving both digital and turntables into both headphones and speakers? Would the Freya go first as as to be able to hear the TT in the headphones? Maybe this is overkill and a simple solution like Modi/Magni is the way.
Also could I sound out how people generally feel about Vidar vs Class D with higher wattage. Unfortunately I have zero real world experience with these electronics and am trying to piece this together from video reviews and online commentary. Would really appreciate any feedback even if by PM. I think I'm over thinking this.
Cheers
Nick

another option would be Jotunheim with phono pre-amp module added, Modi 3 for your digital sources, then Jotunheim can drive either the single Vidar to your speakers or the headphones. downside is that you lose the volume remote / source selection of Freya. As another option, use a Saga + or Saga S preamp instead (also have volume control and source selection on the remote) Vidar as class AB will be cleaner than the Class D amps, and at ~170W will likely drive the 8" drivers to their excursion limit.

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #57,866 of 149,156
thanks tincan totally follow you. given the volume control is fairly critical (even to control DAC input into the freya) then it seems the best Schiit path for vinyl would be TT -> Mani / Freya+ -> Vidar x1 (2 even better) -> 6-3.5ohm/90-110db speakers, with an eventual Modi and/or Mani extension for Dac and headphones. and the aegir could be considered better placed in lower volume setting..(?) thanks

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #57,867 of 149,156
Pretty matt black!
My bug-a-boo is over-flexed headphone jacks. I've lost several connections to it. My fix...
Does the Valhalla get that hot that you need the risers to touch? I have an Asgard and it used to feel hotter before.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #57,868 of 149,156
LOL! I've always been partial to the Schitt EITR.

Whoa.. that one dawned on me just now :astonished:

I like the PYST (pissed) cables myself :relaxed:
(take heed; as with EITR, this cannot be unseen)

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #57,869 of 149,156
Pretty matt black!
Valhalla-2-cooling-March2020.jpg My bug-a-boo is over-flexed headphone jacks. I've lost several connections to it. My fix...

If one socket saver is good, more must be better. Right? :) :)

Vali Adapter Stack.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back