Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #57,633 of 149,160
I have a comment about the DAC MB technology - the upgrade from Gungnir D/S to MB changed my music-listening life. And, the Gen5 UBS was nice lagniappe. It just sounds like real music, to me. Never going back :)
BTW, great chapters Jason and nice work on the Sol. Quite a journey there.

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #57,635 of 149,160
Thank you Jason for the new chapters.
and we’ll be able to do it on our upgradable platforms, so you don’t have to buy a new DAC.

I am so relieved of this. Can you say that we will never see a new TOTL DAC from Schiit that will replace the Yggdrasil? I was worried buying the Yggy earlier this year might have been a mistake if a Yggy 2 or even something greater was on the horizon.

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #57,637 of 149,160
And, although we haven’t done any completely insane, heroic discrete designs, this is where we’ll go to smoke the performance of the best integrated stages for an all-out phono preamp. Getting near -100dB THD+N with 60dB of gain…yes, this is doable. And yes, I know, this is for an antique sound reproduction method that might seem completely stone-age when compared to the convenience of streaming 24/96 from Qobuz, but hey, a lot of people really like it…and there’s a lot of spinners out there.

Yes! I would really, really prefer 66dB gain, though.

Cheers,
JC

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #57,638 of 149,160
I know beta testers are getting new mats. Are we also getting new bearings with space grease, or some space grease we can apply ourselves? Anything else beta-testers can expect in the final package?

I'd expect so. Please contact amy@schiit.com or tyler@schiit.com if you haven't received an email with particulars.

Yes! I would really, really prefer 66dB gain, though.

Cheers,
JC

I'd expect there will be a lot of gain options, and gain will go much higher than 60dB. However, expect this to be at least 10x the price of Mani. If/when it comes out. The coronavirus situation may set some plans back. We'll see.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 18, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #57,640 of 149,160
Usually TVs will have a setting for 2-channel stereo or 2-channel PCM output from the optical out. However, some will not send sound due to copyright restrictions on some program material. It seems that those are only older TVs, all the smart TVs we've used lately reliably send 2-channel output when set correctly,

Except when it's a modern LG OLED which for some reason has random drop outs on its 2-ch PCM optical output a couple of times every minute. LG refuses to look into and fix it despite years of user complaints.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #57,641 of 149,160
Except when it's a modern LG OLED which for some reason has random drop outs on its 2-ch PCM optical output a couple of times every minute. LG refuses to look into and fix it despite years of user complaints.

Hmm. Which generation? I have a C8 and no issues so far...

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #57,643 of 149,160
2020, Chapter 5:
Hooray for Space Grease!

Enter Space Grease

David suggested an exotic gel lube that was literally used on Mars rovers. And, after some wrangling, we managed to get a tub of it.

It worked great the first time we used it.

It worked great in a week.

It worked great in a month.

And it’s working great, 2 months into this.

So there you go. Space grease to the rescue.

Thank goodness that's over. Now, on to a Schiit DAP... :L3000:

Fun fact, a Martian day is called a "sol" by NASA.

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #57,644 of 149,160
Would it be possible for Schiit to offer PYST grounding cable in addition to the RCA?

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #57,645 of 149,160
Can't wait for the Schiit BARF. That's gonna be a cool gizmo. Whenever they make that one up. :wink:

Acronym for what? Let's theorize.

As always, a great read, Jason.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back