Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 16, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #57,586 of 145,578
why not a magni / modi / eitr mini-chassis stack? is the magni 3 better than asgard 2 for driving the E2C?
They are, however... The big pot (potentiometer [volume]) is more pleasing to use at my listening nook. I also prefer the lager boxes for aesthetic reasons. And I enjoy switching between Vali, asgard 2, magni 3, and valhalla 2 At my nook. The EITR & Modi feed my Fulla 2. I set the volume, and then forget it... thus allowing me to focus on marking & teaching. I save my mucking-and-fiddling at the nook. :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #57,589 of 145,578
Obviously not a top priority in the context of the pandemic, but is the Sol still going on sale today-ish? That’d help with my social distancing for sure.

Most likely tomorrow. Mats just came in today.

Quick Coronavirus update:

1. We're closing the Schiitr for a couple of weeks. Sorry about that, but I think it's for the best. Even if we're sanitizing headphones, it's the right thing to close it down for a while.
2. We really hope you all all OK, and we continue doing everything we can to make sure you are safe.
3. So far so good on this side, but who knows? Maybe we'll end up like San Francisco and be ordered to shut down for a while. Everyone here is healthy, happy, positive, sanitizing and social distancing...but if it's a government order, it's an order. Product development continues apace, and I have a couple of new wacky ideas to play with. We'll see if anything comes of them.

I'll have a chapter for you this week...not about the virus, more about our sometimes-seemingly-divergent product philosophy.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #57,594 of 145,578
....{{snip}}}.....I think it's for the best. Even if we're sanitizing headphones, it's the right thing to close it down for a while.
2. We really hope you all all OK, and we continue doing everything we can to make sure you are safe.
3. So far so good on this side, but who knows? Maybe we'll end up like San Francisco and be ordered to shut down for a while. Everyone here is healthy, happy, positive, sanitizing and social distancing...but if it's a government order, it's an order. Product development continues apace, and I have a couple of new wacky ideas to play with. We'll see if anything comes of them....{{{snip}}}...I'll have a chapter for you this week...not about the virus, more about our sometimes-seemingly-divergent product philosophy.
Social distancing. Before our school was shut down, we were practising ankle tapping as a greeting. Odd. Just odd. I'm looking forward to a new chapter. I'm enjoying the hel out of my Ether Cs my Magni, Vali 2 (I replaced the tube with the one it came with for that extra-bright glow), and Asgard 2.
Good to hear. Jason. My fingers will be poised to order one as soon as it comes online. Best to you and your staff. Minnesota governor just ordered the shutting down on the entire hospitality industry. Schiit just got very real here. Stay well everyone.
North of MN, and just a bit East, we're in a similar boat.
I am glad I ordered a Schiit Lyr 3!! Its on its way!!....{{snip}}....So now I can rotate between the Magni 3. Vahalla 2, Jotenheim and the Lyr 3....whats next!!
...{{snip}}...Alex
I've been idly musing about a Lyr 3 w/o an (unnecessary in my case?) daughter board. My Vali 2 keeps chugging along just fine. Meh, I'll keep an eye on the used market (or a close-out... double-B-stock deal on Schiit's website). Heh, if there's a classic bundle (find some stray Lyr boards behind a pallet... like my Bifrost-Asgard beauties [in black]) I might just snap one up. And then...what... send my oler gear to my niece or nephew for their DJ-ing needs (their raunchy hiphop might even sound moar wholesome with nice gear). :ksc75smile:
Wow! My upgraded Gungnir just returned from the mothership on Saturday. Thankfully, it did not have to sit there for weeks during a shutdown. Now I can enjoy it while I am on hiatus. My Gumby sounds great so far. Thanks Jason!
New firmware? Nice.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #57,596 of 145,578
Down to 12 amps!! Ha!

Always room for more...and a fondness for Schiit!!

I really enjoy the boys and Gals at Schiit and those who work behind the scenes at Schiit, Laura, Amy etc....they always answer my emails and questions! Unsung heroes at Schiit....

Jason!! Tell them we send our best wishes and stay safe!!

This too shall pass....

:):):)

Alex

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #57,597 of 145,578
Down to 12 amps!! Ha!

Always room for more...and a fondness for Schiit!!

I really enjoy the boys and Gals at Schiit and those who work behind the scenes at Schiit, Laura, Amy etc....they always answer my emails and questions! Unsung heroes at Schiit....

Jason!! Tell them we send our best wishes and stay safe!!

This too shall pass....

:):):)

Alex

They are always on the ball too!

I've e-mailed at what was like 3:00 AM their time and I've gotten a response within minutes, I know this is the exception and not the rule, but DAMN!!!

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #57,598 of 145,578
And I thought I was at the bottom of the rabbit hole with 8 amps and a custom built one coming.

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #57,599 of 145,578
Oh gosh I have been building amps since I was a teen ager!!..Dynaco and our own stuff....in IBM a bunch of EEs were always building stereo stuff, behind the scenes ha!

Most of the stuff I have is 50/50 retail and DIY....

Lots of great stuff out their for sure...but I do have my preferences...

Will compare the Lyr 3 to a brand X amp I really like when I get the Lyr 3...

Half the fun for me is soldering, building and trying out new stuff...and Schiit has lots of new and great stuff...

Having a setup to me that allows me to actually discern the qualty of the recording, one with very accurate tonality, ability to dive into the music and hear all the background
stuff etc...when it gets to that level I know I am at or near the End Game....

But there are quite a few combinations that can get you there!!

$$$$$$$

Ya cant take it with ya!

Alex

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #57,600 of 145,578
Yes, thank you very much for bringing that up, the TV needs Optical or HDMI so I would still need the external DAC. The Bifrost 2 has had rave reviews from users like yourself, I'm just on the fence whether to wait and see whether a replacement for the Gungnir is in the pipeline with the autonomy architecture built in, whereas I don't believe this will come to Yggdrasil even in the medium term. One of the considerations for the Bifrost 2 was that it is very simply user upgradeable which is important when you're not in the USA.

I really like the sound of my Bifrost 2 feeding into my Ragnarok 2.

I believe that the Bifrost 2 is a better DAC overall than the card you can put into the Ragnarok, also, as mentioned, it has more inputs.

However one thing to be aware of when feeding it your TV optical or coax cable: when I tried this, I didn't get a usable signal. The TV was probably trying to feed it some kind of Dolby surround or other multi-channel signal, not the pure stereo that the Bifrost expects.

My TV has an option to always send out only stereo on the optical line. I still have to try that out though.

Just be warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back