Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 11, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #57,481 of 148,980
need to put on some joe (satriani) to even things out now...flying in a blue dream

Now you're talking!

Or some Kenny Wayne Shepherd...Blue on Black (although I like this version even better than his):

1583969563726.png

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #57,482 of 148,980
Ohhhh I saw that. Ether Cs are serving me well. They're giving my little Magni 3 (?) a new lease on life. My mix-and-match matrix (posted because I'm trying to avoid professional-responsibility & for my fellow noobs)...
CansDACAmplification
Sony MDR7510 - my first "reference headphones"... or what they use in recording studios that are cheap and tough. That spiral telephone-cord cables a P.I.T.A. :triportsad:Fulla 2Fulla 2 (new Fulla lost the big 'phone jack, booo)
2 elderly Senheisser HD5... series headphones... chewed up, delaminating foam. 100% functional. Stupidly tough.Modi MBVali 2
Beyerdynamic DT880 semi-closed (yeahh, no... wife hears all my music). What's the big yahoo about high impedance drivers?! Dunno. But, me gusta. :ksc75smile:Bifrost MBMagni 3 (3rd generation?!)
Senheisser HD650 clones. My first/last Massdrop purchase. Stock HD6XX jack shorted out within a year. Drop gave me a credit and I purchased a legitimate Senheisser cable. Zero regret. Love that Senheisser-sound... and so does everybody else in the room. Pity.Does multibit make a difference to me? Meh. My tinitus-ravaged ears can't pick up a difference... and I really don't know any better (my Fulla sounds a-okay for casual PC listening while I mark student work). If a Schiit-Meet ever comes to Montreal or Toronto, I'll set up a little crazy-person booth and let others try it out.Asgard 2
MrSpeakers (Dave Clark Audio). There's a little breathing hole at the top of each carbon-fibre cup. What is that for? No sound bleeding out (so happy spouse). I think it's some kind of pressure equalization feature. Meh... don't care. They feel gooood. Their sound? Crimme... I'm still trying to figure THAT out.All housed in a chunky IKEA cabinet (3-3.5 cm thick particle board?!)Using a L-adapter to reduce cable fatigue. I don't want to kill any more jacks.

To my peeps... who are starting out in this ridiculous hobby. Start slow... good, local electronics exist... resist audio nervosa. And, as a cheesy sleazy movie (Alice In Wonderland) used to say, if it feels good... DOOOO IT.

1583971505753.png

If that little hole serves the same purpose in the Ethers as it does in the A2C's, it can be used to tune the bass somewhat:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aeo...s-and-discussion.918311/page-18#post-15466678

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #57,483 of 148,980
APE?

Accoustic Processing Enhancements
Aurally Perceived Enlightenment
Accoustically Perfect Environment
Audio Presentation Enhancer

Pick and match to your taste. :wink:

You're overthinking this.

Go Ape Schiit.

And adopt an in-house cat.

It's that simple.

(Who's the 800-lb gorilla crushing UltraPretentiousAudio? That's a tricky question, I don't know the answer to that.)

:)

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #57,484 of 148,980
Yes to @A Jedi

@roadcykler appeared to be questioning Dr. Tinin's referal to WHO, regarding Covid-19 because of Dr. Tinin's earlier questioning of Mayo Clinic in the course of a discussion of tinnitus. Obviously if you can't trust Mayo Clinic to give un biased advice on hearing you shouldn't trust WHO's information on Covid-19.
He said something along the lines of trust the doctors regarding Corona but I was wondering why he didn't trust the Mayo clinic doctors in regards to tinnitus.

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #57,485 of 148,980
IIRC, the WHO was still advocating against stringent travel restrictions when the USA chose to effectively close borders to the affected region.
If that border closing had not been accomplished (and I think that was well before asymtomatic transmission was confirmed), then for sure the USA would be in much worse shape than the current status.

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #57,486 of 148,980
If the transformer hum is acoustic noise from Vidar itself [not hum through the speakers], the transformer is mounted with sorbothane or some similar type of elastic washers that may be the problem. The bolt tension on the washers may be too loose, too tight, or new washers may be needed. The distributor should be able to help you. There is a Youtube video "Vidar full build" that includes how the tension is set.

If the hum is coming from the speakers with NO INPUT CABLES connected to Vidar, then the problem is in the amp, the hum should be >115db below reference output, the distributor should be able to measure it.

Thanks.. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :)

First Vidar had very audible through speaker hum. It was replaced and this one is silent through speakers, but audible xformer from across the room if it's quiet in the room.
The distributor is not able to help... they say it's normal. :frowning2:

I have tried tightening, loosening and other things to try and stop it.
Next I think is to move it to a cupboard and check out the build video... maybe that will clue me in

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #57,488 of 148,980
Would that make the tranny hum or the speakers that are connected?
Can I check with a Multimeter on DC or would blow my meter up?

No, don't try it with your multimeter.

This may help:

Quote from Nelson Pass:
"If you are experiencing mechanical hum from your
transformer, it is often caused by the presence of
DC on the line. Usually this comes from some appliance
using current asymmetrically, such as a lamp dimmer."

There have been a couple of more likely causes already posted. I just added the DC offset to add one more in case none of the others worked for you.

Anyway, good luck with this. Please keep us posted on your findings.

JC

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #57,489 of 148,980
No, don't try it with your multimeter.

This may help:

Quote from Nelson Pass:
"If you are experiencing mechanical hum from your
transformer, it is often caused by the presence of
DC on the line. Usually this comes from some appliance
using current asymmetrically, such as a lamp dimmer."

There have been a couple of more likely causes already posted. I just added the DC offset to add one more in case none of the others worked for you.

Anyway, good luck with this. Please keep us posted on your findings.

JC

definitely don't try this with your multimeter. misapplication of test equipment on the power line is hazardous (serious shock or explosion hazard). for checking for the presence of DC on the power line, you will need some other equipment like power-line-quality-analyzer or oscilloscope + knowledge how to setup these instruments properly.

a kil-a-watt meter (just plug it into the mains socket, and the DUT Device Under Test into the meter's socket) can verify that the amp's idle power consumption (bias setting of both channels + power supply & monitoring circuits) is within the factory spec (note that VA and rms Watts are not the same thing). Schiit will need to provide this spec (which might be a range) since I don't see it listed on the Vidar product page.

if the transformer mounting bushings were damaged from overtightening or drops/ mechanical shocks during shipping, then the bushings might need be removed / reshaped or replaced. your local distributor that does repairs may be able to help.

you might try moving the amp (by itself) to another circuit / room in your house to see if the idle noise changes.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #57,490 of 148,980
One of my favorite 80s bands was the British duo Blancmange. I savored, both musically and sonically, their UK 12" pressing of "The Day Before You Came." Only years later did I discover this is an ABBA song!?!%!
Did this teach me not to turn up my nose at mass market pop? Naaah. Music snobbery is one of life's great pleasures. I continue to indulge.

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #57,494 of 148,980
He said something along the lines of trust the doctors regarding Corona but I was wondering why he didn't trust the Mayo clinic doctors in regards to tinnitus.

Because he is a medical doctor himself and based on his medical knowledge, he disagrees with Mayo Clinic and what they say -- in particular about tinnitus.

Based on that same general base of medical knowledge he knows to trust the W.H.O. on the corona virus issue.

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #57,495 of 148,980
You're overthinking this.

Go Ape Schiit.

And adopt an in-house cat.

It's that simple.

(Who's the 800-lb gorilla crushing UltraPretentiousAudio? That's a tricky question, I don't know the answer to that.)

:)

I would be overthinking this if I would actually believe that APE was an acronym for something as-of-yet-unknown in this context.

As it is, I just saw it as an opportunity to make some fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back