Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #56,836 of 148,975
Happy Sunday (and to my Canadian sisters 'n brothers... Happy Monday-Family-Day)! If you can spare about 3 minutes, Steve Gutenberg articulates audio transparency in a way that I understand. An excellent or enjoyable recording can help me find the humans behind the music. Ah!

I'm butchering his musings; however, I think I'm getting the point across. Anyway, have a restful Sunday night, eh. :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #56,837 of 148,975
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #56,838 of 148,975
If you look at the latest Audio Advisor you will see that the number of CD transports are increasing. I find my CDs often sound better than their equivalent streamed. So as for whether or not it would be "profitable", why not? Schiit has already said they are working on one.
For me, a transport would be nice for listening locations that have lousy (slow or expensive) wireless broadband coverage. Meh... we'll see...

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #56,840 of 148,975
Feb 17, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #56,842 of 148,975
Mike and Jason have both also written that Unison is source-independent. It will be interesting to see if it is bi-directional, meaning for both source and receiver. Having a high-quality transport with USB output that could also be used to rip discs to the server would be very useful to me.

Indeed! If there's a Jil/Hel with Unison USB for the ADC functions, I'll be more than happy to get one too

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #56,845 of 148,975
Put me on the list for beta testing
I understand that the SCHIIT LOKI Tone controller goes between the DAC analogue output and the external preamp/amp analogue inputs. Is there any way to use this gadget with a CHORD DAVE/HMS set up? Since the preamp/amp is integral to the DAVE, am not sure how this could work without polluting the chain with an external amp.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #56,846 of 148,975
I understand that the SCHIIT LOKI Tone controller goes between the DAC analogue output and the external preamp/amp analogue inputs. Is there any way to use this gadget with a CHORD DAVE/HMS set up? Since the preamp/amp is integral to the DAVE, am not sure how this could work without polluting the chain with an external amp.

You can put the Loki anywhere in the analog chain before the amp. If your unit is DAC/preamp/amp all-in-one, you can't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back