Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #56,821 of 148,982
They repealed the helmet law here in PA as well. I would have been OK with that had it also included a proviso that if you were in an accident while not wearing a helmet, all medical bills incurred because of that were your own responsibility, no insurance would be required to cover it and no public money would go to pay them. In other words, you are on your own.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #56,823 of 148,982
So the real reason I would be interested is if honestly playing a CD directly to a dac/amp was indeed "better" than ripping...well I am there !!
What I would be really interested in if the transport contains the server side of the Unison USB system and therefor be the completing part of the game changer Unsion USB is.
Mike once wrote that only when sender and receiver speak the same language he can make a true BWD bit stream and hence make a real digital transfer without any compromises.
So count me in for a transport with a Unison USB server build in. That would make it superior to any other USB source.

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #56,824 of 148,982
Mike and Jason have both also written that Unison is source-independent. It will be interesting to see if it is bi-directional, meaning for both source and receiver. Having a high-quality transport with USB output that could also be used to rip discs to the server would be very useful to me.

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #56,826 of 148,982
@Jason Stoddard How did it go at the SchiitrMeet Thursday evening?

Cost of car insurance in Michigan is high because of two factors:
1. Number of uninsured drivers in the state is high. There is no significant penalty for no insurance except fines. The fines simply go unpaid and people continue to drive without insurance. Collectors cannot do anything about it because there are no assets to take.
2. There is no maximum limit for medical costs related to an accident. A few catastrophic cases can bankrupt even a moderate sized insurance company.

I believe a lot of #1 is because the insurance is so insanely expensive! The amount of people that live here and have their vehicle(s) registered in Ohio and other states is amazingly high. I have multiple vehicles (single individual household) and I should not have to pay that stupid medical cost premium on every vehicle I have insurance on when I can only drive one of them at a time.

IMHO #2 in regards to the helmet law is a Darwin law, and IDGAF if you wear a helmet or not (I ALWAYS do), however I believe you should have to sign a waiver that if you DON'T wear one and you become a turnip (or insert your vegetable of choice, I don't mean to discriminate) your insurance will not cover it.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #56,827 of 148,982
But if Schiit makes one I would be very tempted to try it. But just to get one for ripping?? Dont think I would be interested in that. I have several pcs with cd/dvd drives and a poprtable usb cd drive that I use for ripping my cds to digits....
I'm not sure a Schiit Transport would be an asset to ripping. Your average cheap PC drive, and ripping software, make a bit-perfect copy of the digital data. This can't be improved on. I.e. bit-perfect is bit-perfect.

What, I think, distinguishes a good transport, and the Unison interface, is extremely accurate and extremely low jitter clocks that provide an as ideal as possible data stream to feed a DAC. All the subtleties of timing and noise are irrelevant to ripping.

When streaming, my understanding is that the keys are the output USB and how accurate and jittery it is, and the same on the DAC input. My understanding of the Unison interface is that excels in rejecting electrical noise, and excels in re-clocking incoming data with it's own precision clocks.

If just talking about USB digital output from a transport, the new Unison interface takes a lot of pressure off the transport to present the perfect digital stream. This could impact the value of a Schiit transport in the Schiit world, if any old transport with USB output, connected to a Schiit DAC with Unison, sounds great anyway. But yes, the market isn't only Schitt DAC owners.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #56,828 of 148,982
A CD transport with a Unison out to a Dac etc....would be pretty nice IMO.
The only thing here is having to select cds manually and if you have hundreds of them this gets un-yieldly.
Guess I have become spolied by having a PC music player do all that song management etc...

For a purist this would be really neat...

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #56,829 of 148,982
I dont think its far from the point....

I would think Schitt would look at the market place and ALL the numbers and make a decision on whether it makes some economical sense on their part to birth such a device.

Then Schitt has always been a "maverick" company to me, and like SOL, they have some neat ideas, but some stuff that was birthed and didnt sell well are now gone.

I would hate for a CD transport to be one of these....thats all.

I think awhile back, cant find it now, but Mike M stated somthing along these lines " PCM from a good transport is the way to go, vs ripping etc:...: and I have tried this many times with CD transports and compared the sound from a CD in a transport using the digital and optical outputs and comparing to my ripped stuff...and honestly I could not detect any real world differences.....that would really want me to go this route.

But if Schiit makes one I would be very tempted to try it. But just to get one for ripping?? Dont think I would be interested in that. I have several pcs with cd/dvd drives and a poprtable usb cd drive that I use for ripping my cds to digits....

So the real reason I would be interested is if honestly playing a CD directly to a dac/amp was indeed "better" than ripping...well I am there !!

Alex

Yes as you said playing CD directly into DAC/Amp is what I prefer for several reasons one of which is sound quality. For years I only streamed and did computer audio. Certainly nothing wrong with going this way and I still do it especially when trying new music. But my Dad talked me into getting a dedicated CD transport so I could still play the several hundred CDs I have. Now that I have one I would not be without it. Love playing my CDs almost as much I love playing my vinyl. I believe we will see a similar resurgence with CDs as we have seen with vinyl.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #56,830 of 148,982
A CD transport with a Unison out to a Dac etc....would be pretty nice IMO.
The only thing here is having to select cds manually and if you have hundreds of them this gets un-yieldly.
Guess I have become spolied by having a PC music player do all that song management etc...

For a purist this would be really neat...

Agree it does get un-yieldy. I recently got a nice large CD case or cabinet and organized my CD by genre then alphabetically. This was a very good move that made it easy to search and find the CD I want. Was worth the effort. The ritual of choosing a CD actually enhances the experience for me. I know it is not for everyone.

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #56,832 of 148,982
For the longest time I would not go the digital ripping route and like you selected my CD and put into the tray and hit play!!

It was not until a bitperfect scheme came about that I started experimenting....and doing alot of AB comparisons....

But theres nothing wrong with using a transport etc...

Heres hoping that Schiit comes out with a great solution here!

Alex

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #56,833 of 148,982
I LOVE every one of these things, and for the love of GOD, PLEASE open up insurance (both car and health) to be purchased out of state!!!! Moving from SoCal to Michigan caused my car insurance to more than double! This is INSANE! I pay more for insurance now as a middle ager (no tickets/wrecks etc...) on a boring CUV than I did on my 5.0 Mustang when I was a teenager WITH tickets on my record!!!!!

Lucky. Cars hadn't been invented yet when I was a teenager.

:)

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #56,834 of 148,982
Mike and Jason have both also written that Unison is source-independent. It will be interesting to see if it is bi-directional, meaning for both source and receiver. Having a high-quality transport with USB output that could also be used to rip discs to the server would be very useful to me.
plus one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back