Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 13, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #56,761 of 148,648
I remember the day I started a new position in the company I was working for the same day that they switched to SAP. That was memorable. I've probably posted about it before, but the call center SAP was different to ours, and they'd not enabled the ability to send messages or any other kind of communication between people between the modules (if that is what they were called) so when an order came through for a product that was out of stock (or unavailable -- we were in a place where during a major sale, so much stuff came into the dock that anything behind and above it on a pallet was inaccessible for days sometimes) we had to write out the details on a piece of paper and then fax it to the call centre.

One of the best bits was that it had to integrate with the point of sale system, which was ancient, and DOS based. It didn't really integrate of course, but all the store systems would upload all the sales data at 10pm every night, after closing. Since our delivery centre at the time was attached to a store, and our stock also part of theirs, we ended up doing a lot of faxing! One day though, one of the young kids found a bug in the POS system, and proceeded to demonstrate it to everyone, including the managers. That was fine...until the end-of-day sync, when it locked up not only the sync for that store, but every store in the country, resulting in managers turning up in the morning to find that they didn't have a working POS system and all sales had to be done manually.
And, the next day, the company adopted the policy of design change control and was forever improved!
BTW, nice work on the 1TB SD card scam :)

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #56,762 of 148,648
It's not too loud, you are too old. I feel for you folks that don't have good live music venues. My wife and I love attending concerts and listening to live music. One of life's true joys. I'm 62 so at the rate I'm going total hearing loss and the end of my life will happen at approximately the same time. I'm not that concerned that I'll have 'perfect' hearing on my deathbed. :L3000:.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #56,764 of 148,648
And this is why I have a bit of a laugh when I’m told we’re raking in the money on $150 Unison USB upgrades (not kidding). From the outside, it’s easy to look at cost of parts and say, “Wow, I can build that cheaper.”
I'm flabbergasted to read this.
Maybe people should consider what would happen if something like Unison USB, a true industry game changer, was develop by a standard high end audio company.
You pick your favorite company that comes with versions II, 2010 edition, supreme, Pro version, you name it. They would present it as .......... make the rest of the marketing blather up yourself. They would build a new box around it, give it a fancy name, a 10mm thick aluminum milled front and sell it for premium price as the new flagship DAC. The audiophile would be very happy, because hthey made a major upgrade in their system that stands out, so everybody can see you've got the latest and the greatest. Visibility is VERY important.
I think $ 150,00 for this upgrade is a STEAL. I even payed a little more because of my position on this globe, but as I wrote before it is worth every penny.
Enjoy Unison USB every day more and more. Still surprises me with every track I play that I thought I knew very well..
Schiit introduced it with a 2 line post in this forum. Charges as little as $ 150,00 and lets you enjoy all you precious music even more.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #56,765 of 148,648
Funny,

How much money will make your happy?

Is your business doing well, are you happy, are your employees loyal and happy?

Are you content with making great stuff and fair prices and a good profit?

OR

Like most companies, there is something wrong if your not growing at a certain rate each month, quarter or year?

To many companies unless your growing ALL the time your in for failure....

But there are some companies that are proud of what they make, and people flock to there door, because they trust and like what they make and how they make it.

IMO Schiit is one of those companies, they stand put because of their honest in your face attitude, they have great products at good prices and are very successful. People cant wait for your new maverick style stuff to come out and when it does they buy it!

That says something......

Why cant we be happy making stuff, good stuff and stop worrying about if I am growing as much as I think I do.....why cant just being what you are be good enough?

I think Schiits honest open approach to making stuff, advertising etc is just fine, at least from my customer view.

I hate it when the sharks smell easy money and want a part of the kingdom YOU built....and they laugh all the way to the bank!!

I can understand wanting to make your website better, more responsive and have some fancy ineractions etc....

BUT!! don let the wolves in and knock down the walls!!

Buyer Beware!

Alex

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #56,766 of 148,648
Speaking of software demos by vendors took me back a decade or so when I was part of the team evaluating potential new knowledge and information management systems. (Yes I know, not exciting but essential for a $100B company). In order to do this we had to expand our team and had a new hire for IT liaison who I thought was more than a little sus. We were all in a big conference room as the vendor started his spiel but he found at one point that he was not able to show some functionality as his laptop hit some of our security. New guy is asked to slide his fancy new company provided laptop over and demo proceeds fine until there is a 'save' and it defaults to the last file location. On the giant projector screen we all see ( including my female boss) very briefly before the guy makes a dive for his laptop, a large file structure that includes folders such as 'girl on girl', 'teen action', etc. It was hard for me to keep a straight face. He should have known better as he was the IT 'gun'.
Never saw him again.

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #56,767 of 148,648
Funny,

How much money will make your happy?

Is your business doing well, are you happy, are your employees loyal and happy?

Are you content with making great stuff and fair prices and a good profit?

OR

Like most companies, there is something wrong if your not growing at a certain rate each month, quarter or year?

To many companies unless your growing ALL the time your in for failure....

But there are some companies that are proud of what they make, and people flock to there door, because they trust and like what they make and how they make it.

IMO Schiit is one of those companies, they stand put because of their honest in your face attitude, they have great products at good prices and are very successful. People cant wait for your new maverick style stuff to come out and when it does they buy it!

That says something......

Why cant we be happy making stuff, good stuff and stop worrying about if I am growing as much as I think I do.....why cant just being what you are be good enough?

I think Schiits honest open approach to making stuff, advertising etc is just fine, at least from my customer view.

I hate it when the sharks smell easy money and want a part of the kingdom YOU built....and they laugh all the way to the bank!!

I can understand wanting to make your website better, more responsive and have some fancy ineractions etc....

BUT!! don let the wolves in and knock down the walls!!

Buyer Beware!

Alex
So true, Alex, well written. The difference between a private and public company. :)

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #56,768 of 148,648
I used to work for several BIG companies....General Electric, IBM...and gosh it was THE end of the world if the company didnt meet its financial goals...the layoffs and rumors start...OMG each quarter and in Jan of the year folks started worrying if they were going to still have a job....and then the cuts came, and then re-orgs to consolidate and help make things better, code words for you who are left are going to do more!! Now get back to work!!

I am so glad I am out of the rat race and retired!!

:>)

Alex

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #56,769 of 148,648
Bought a Freya S!!
From the dutch Schiit; ETA mid February:beerchug:
So it is almost here and my Freya S is travelling a lot. From US to The Netherlands, then Belgium and Spain, now it is in Portugal like a 30 min drive from me but they did not drop it off yet …. will it be here today or after the weekend … WoW what a thing to get Schiit at home:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #56,771 of 148,648
Can I use the Hel's microphone input like how I would with Jil? Or rather, is the Hel microphone input on par with Jil (at least on paper)? I am unable to find the correct specs to compare (e.g. ADC model)

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #56,773 of 148,648
So it is almost here and my Freya S is travelling a lot. From US to The Netherlands, then Belgium and Spain, now it is in Portugal like a 30 min drive from me but they did not drop it off yet …. will it be or after the weekend … WoW what a thing to get Schiit at home:ksc75smile:
That's awesome, hope you v3t it ASAP. I ordered a Gungnir earlier this week but it still hasnt shipped, booooo for me

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #56,774 of 148,648
I expect most of the corporate types we talk to think we're totally barking mad.
I have assets who can help you actualize your mission-critical asks, and can drive whatever you might need to bring to the table with your strategic partners. Just let me know when you are tired of eating your own dog food and are ready to really gain traction on all your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back