Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #56,162 of 145,572
Martin-Logan CLS, oooh, I've always wanted a pair. My college graduation present to myself (after a couple of years' savings) was either Apogee or Martin-Logan: Apogee won.

I'm not a big fan of redoing other people's work. Leave Star Trek alone. Don't colorize classic movies. And, please Hollywood, no more remakes. Somebody, somewhere, has to be writing original stories that are worth bringing to the screen.

I hope Tammy Wynette doesn't suffer the same fate as Frank. The lyric just wouldn't work in reverse.

A pair of Apogee Divas driven by some beastly amps is what started this lifelong addiction for me. I listened to them in a store, became infected, couldn't possibly afford them, and left. Went back 2 days later, listened again, still couldn't afford them and left. On my third trip I left with a pair of Duettas. Couldn't afford those either, but they were less unaffordable than the Divas. The rabbit hole appeared when I got home and found my 40wpc Harman Kardon receiver wouldn't play them very loud... :relaxed:

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #56,164 of 145,572
Awesome chapter! One of the best reads in the series so far. I'm glad that you're taking the time to do some crazy engineering. The world needs more of that.
I'm curious how the lessons learned from the "JOTUNHEIM R MODULAR AMP FOR RAAL RIBBON HEADPHONES" trickles into the other product lines. Will I ever buy a pair of those unusual headphones? Nah. :) I need something with almost complete sound isolation (and Audeze LCD-XC will hopefully fit bill for my soon-to-be 50 year old brain).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #56,165 of 145,572
I would love to demo the RAAL/
Odd, because I've never had any problem getting to ear-bleeding levels on Jotunheim R with the SR1a, definitely above a Vidar into the resistor box.

With respect to a more powerful box, anything's possible--for several times the price, and in a much larger physical size. There are currently no plans for this.

Jason -

Just wondering how many SR1a/Jothunheim R rigs is Schiit going to bring to CanJam NYC. I don't think one will be enough.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #56,166 of 145,572
A pair of Apogee Divas driven by some beastly amps is what started this lifelong addiction for me. I listened to them in a store, became infected, couldn't possibly afford them, and left. Went back 2 days later, listened again, still couldn't afford them and left. On my third trip I left with a pair of Duettas. Couldn't afford those either, but they were less unaffordable than the Divas. The rabbit hole appeared when I got home and found my 40wpc Harman Kardon receiver wouldn't play them very loud... :relaxed:

Reminds me of my Carver Amazing's but they had 4 x 12' woofers a side crossed over to the ribbon at 100Hz. The Diva would have been a fun comparison for me, I've always liked ribbons done right. And I like the sound of Quads ESL's, especially the 63's from among the few designs in stats' I've heard over the years.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #56,167 of 145,572
We HATED walking to school in the snow: meant we had to wrap our feet in barbed wire for traction. We didn't have a lot of holes in our shoes, but damned if the barbed wire didn't find where to poke in. Every time. As if the "uphill both ways" wasn't bad enough...
http://www.montypython.com/

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #56,168 of 145,572
Reminds me of my Carver Amazing's but they had 4 x 12' woofers a side crossed over to the ribbon at 100Hz. The Diva would have been a fun comparison for me, I've always liked ribbons done right. And I like the sound of Quads ESL's, especially the 63's from among the few designs in stats' I've heard over the years.

I never got a chance to hear the Carvers. I loved both the CLS's and the Quads for what they did well, but neither had enough bass for my tastes (and subwoofers back then were a cruel joke). The Divas pushed all my buttons, and while the Duettas couldn't do bass like the Divas, they had just enough to be a respectable alternative for poor people.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #56,169 of 145,572
Not sure they fully understand their target-audience if they've got this product showing on a background-picture on their website...
"German scientists found a natural electromagnetic wave which resonates at a frequency lesser than 10 Hz, they named it the Schumann resonance wave."
Wait wut, That website is interesting. Magnets how do they work....

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #56,171 of 145,572
You have an unobtanium one?!? Totally not fair. I've had one on order for what seems like forever, but the lead time is still posted as infinity. :confused:
Well I cheated when I used the quantum purchasing channel so I placed the order before they were even offered so of course they HAD to step up to the plate, you know to keep ahead of the game that I put them behind because I ordered before they even knew they had a product to sell…
hahahahahahahahahaha…

JJ :ksc75smile:

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #56,172 of 145,572
cool find. think he's a bit off on the pronunciation of the company name, though :)

Bullska-heet. Has a certain lack of ring to it. :sunglasses:

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #56,173 of 145,572
Well I cheated when I used the quantum purchasing channel so I placed the order before they were even offered so of course they HAD to step up to the plate, you know to keep ahead of the game that I put them behind because I ordered before they even knew they had a product to sell…
hahahahahahahahahaha…

JJ :ksc75smile:

:relaxed: That was dastardly, but I like it.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #56,174 of 145,572
Well since it was all quantum entangled and such, I made my order disappear after I had received their one and only unobtainium variant so they had no record of ever making one, which is probably why they are listed with a ∞ delivery date.

So not only is it a one off, they can disavow any knowledge of ever making one… :ksc75smile:
hahahahahahaha

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back