Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #56,131 of 145,769
These guys are all clueless. I doubt there's a one of them that have an electron-tunneled Quantum Tamper. Anything less is for newbies. :relaxed:
Ya know, that's the entry level tamper.

You should go big or go home, and go for the unobtanium option (only available on special order, please consult the factory for lead dates).

JJ :ksc75smile:

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #56,132 of 145,769
Yeah, the resulting speaker cables are only about 2.5 m / 8 ft each, but had to buy 50 m / 150 ft as it is 5-wire PGP cable for electrical wiring sold only in bulk. Initially I was thinking it’s stupid to buy 50 m of cable which I won’t use but then remembered the original cables for the speakers (roughly the same AWG) are around $500 and $60 for 150 ft wasn’t that bad of an „investment”. :sunglasses:
Next time you pass by bring those cables and I'll paint a very HiEnd colour scheme on them so they do look very expensive.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #56,133 of 145,769
Finally found someone happy with those bleeding Grados.

IMG_20200123_132123.jpg

Now please @CAPT Deadpool, read your PM's.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #56,135 of 145,769
Oh kids, it goes much further back... Did a lot of my early programming in Algol-60 on an Elliot 4130. Graduated to PDP-10 (various languages/OSs) Then C and PDP-11 Unix V7, then VAX 11/750 with 4.1 BSD. Then Symbolics 3600 LISP machines. Some VAX 11/780 VMS as well. Then Sun-2 Motorola 68010. Side-trip to Mac 512 and pretty much every major Mac hardware and software issue since. Then SGI Irix. Some WindowsNT C++. Then lots of Java on Sun and Intel-Linux desktops and servers. And it goes on...

That's some nice computer pr0n there.... I'll be in my bunk :wink:

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #56,136 of 145,769
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #56,137 of 145,769
Ya know, that's the entry level tamper.

You should go big or go home, and go for the unobtanium option (only available on special order, please consult the factory for lead dates).

JJ :ksc75smile:

You have an unobtanium one?!? Totally not fair. I've had one on order for what seems like forever, but the lead time is still posted as infinity. :confused:

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #56,138 of 145,769
Whichever power amp you choose will sound better with a proper pre-amp.
JC

Right now I am using the pre section of the Naim. The SYS has the volume all the way up so it can just be a switchbox.

Do you think the SYS is degrading the sound in this configuration?
(Also yes my intent would be to use the volume of either the SYS or Freya in the new configs, the Naim has a AV Bypass function)

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #56,139 of 145,769
Looks like decision time is here.... I sold off a pair of emotiva amps that I never liked all that much.

I now have some funds burning a hole in my pocket...

My sources are Gungnir MB and Rega P2 w/ HanaEL. These are switched with a SYS into a Naim UnitiQute...

Really looking at two choices here:
Get Freya (S or +) and use Naim Amp.
Get Aegir and use Sys as pre-amp.

Which do you think would come out sounding better?
Gungnir MB-->SYS-->Aegir is my recommendation.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #56,140 of 145,769
At one of the earliest Stereophile shows I heard the then recently introduced Martin-Logan CLS electrostatic loudspeakers.

Regarding CG: I grew up watching the original Star Trek series. In black and white, mostly. But, it was in reruns almost constantly, so it is in my bones.
In 2006 remastered versions with new CG were made. I'm sure they were thinking they were improving on the cheesy 1960's special effects. Now when I watch the new versions what I see is a mix of charming 1960's era effects (achieved with a limited budget and vintage tech), and cheesy 2006 era CG.
I guess "cheesy" is subjective.

Oh well. 30-40 years ago they colorized B&W movies, because few under 30 or something wouldn't watch them. In Suddenly (1954) staring "old blue eyes," Frank Sinatra, they gave him, you guessed it, brown eyes.

Martin-Logan CLS, oooh, I've always wanted a pair. My college graduation present to myself (after a couple of years' savings) was either Apogee or Martin-Logan: Apogee won.

I'm not a big fan of redoing other people's work. Leave Star Trek alone. Don't colorize classic movies. And, please Hollywood, no more remakes. Somebody, somewhere, has to be writing original stories that are worth bringing to the screen.

I hope Tammy Wynette doesn't suffer the same fate as Frank. The lyric just wouldn't work in reverse.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #56,141 of 145,769
Looks like decision time is here.... I sold off a pair of emotiva amps that I never liked all that much.

I now have some funds burning a hole in my pocket...

My sources are Gungnir MB and Rega P2 w/ HanaEL. These are switched with a SYS into a Naim UnitiQute...

Really looking at two choices here:
Get Freya (S or +) and use Naim Amp.
Get Aegir and use Sys as pre-amp.

Which do you think would come out sounding better?

I'd get the Aegir and the Sys, then you can get a Freya (or a saga) at a later date.

Sys measures well, is transparent, and highly rated..... Stereophile actually lists it on their recommended section. It won't flavor your sound, which in this case is a good thing because it would allow you to appreciate the sound of Gungnir MB and Aegir for awhile until you decide you want a more feature rich preamp.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #56,142 of 145,769
Right now I am using the pre section of the Naim. The SYS has the volume all the way up so it can just be a switchbox.

Do you think the SYS is degrading the sound in this configuration?
(Also yes my intent would be to use the volume of either the SYS or Freya in the new configs, the Naim has a AV Bypass function)

With the SYS used as a switchbox in your system as you describe you probably won't notice any degradation to your SQ.

If you intend to control your volume with the SYS then you will be dramatically increasing the source impedance that is seen by your power amplifier. This is what will degrade your SQ. It may be subtle enough to be acceptable to your ears but that's something that you'll have to determine for yourself. Much will depend on your source and amp.

JC

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #56,143 of 145,769
I'm not a big fan of redoing other people's work. Leave Star Trek alone. Don't colorize classic movies. And, please Hollywood, no more remakes. Somebody, somewhere, has to be writing original stories that are worth bringing to the screen.

A24 studios have brought pretty interesting movies out there.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #56,144 of 145,769
Oh kids, it goes much further back... Did a lot of my early programming in Algol-60 on an Elliot 4130. Graduated to PDP-10 (various languages/OSs) Then C and PDP-11 Unix V7, then VAX 11/750 with 4.1 BSD. Then Symbolics 3600 LISP machines. Some VAX 11/780 VMS as well. Then Sun-2 Motorola 68010. Side-trip to Mac 512 and pretty much every major Mac hardware and software issue since. Then SGI Irix. Some WindowsNT C++. Then lots of Java on Sun and Intel-Linux desktops and servers. And it goes on...
Very nice line-up of programming languages and machines.
In those days you were 3/\I2|\|/\/\J7(_)I2^/25 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back