Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #55,936 of 145,580
More Sol information from Jason (posted elsewhere)

The most likely scenario is that we'll start shipping Sols again in February, but they will all come pre set-up with a standard cartridge. Target price for re-intro with cartridge is $799.

For this, you get some significant advantages over other turntables near its price class, including the longest arm anywhere near the price, the biggest bearing anywhere near the price, full cast aluminum construction, on-the-fly adjustable VTA, and easily swappable true unconstrained unipivot arms. We believe this is enough to allow Sol to carve out a niche above the entry-level turntables but below the "big boys," but we also understand if this doesn't work for you, and that there are more choices than ever in turntables these days.

However, one caveat: the re-introduced Sol will also have the older pulley and belt, which is the only way we've gotten it to measure consistently under 0.1% wow and flutter (on the APx555, not on a phone app or antique meter). This means that the platter will not self-start.

Before the requests start for a different motor, the answer is "the turntable was designed with a low-torque motor and high-mass platter, and if we have to redesign for a different motor, it could send all of that out the window, plus we'd need new motors, new motor pods, new sorbothane motor mount, new motor board...which means 6 months more waiting, realistically, and at that point Sol probably isn't coming back."

If this is a non-starter for you, I understand, and you can opt out of the beta and get a full refund.

We're still waiting a bit for some additional small parts (better motor rubber base and better mat), and we're testing options for standard cartridges (Grado Red sounds best, but has a bit more environmental hum pick-up than other options).

All beta participants will get the new parts, of course, but I don't know the precise timeline. If you want to know the status of the beta program, it's best to email amy@schiit.com and copy tony@schiit.com and tyler@schiit.com, since they will have the latest information.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #55,937 of 145,580
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #55,939 of 145,580
eye-twitch.gif
That's my mother you moron.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #55,942 of 145,580
Time for a Public Service Announcement...

Recently, on another forum, someone posted some very nice interior shots of their house. It was easy to download the pic to my desktop and select "Show Information". The info tab had lat/long info which allowed me to see their general address along with a 'satellite view' which, if I lived in their neighborhood would allow me to discern their actual address. Mac makes it too easy by having a tab that says "Show In Maps."

So the PSA is: Please, before you upload pics to any internet site, scrub the picture of all location data. Instructions are easy to find via DuckDuckGo or Google. Please protect yourselves.

Here endeth the lecture.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #55,943 of 145,580
I keep hoping that some day I walk into the right second hand store and find a copy of that on vinyl. I really really like that album, start to finish.

To date all of my records have been hand me downs or bought from second hand establishments, and garage sales.

I know I could use the internet to have a copy of that album here yesterday, but for this particular hobby, that doesn't hold much appeal.
My co-worker's uncle was Grady Martin, a member of the Nashville "A-Team." Grady played lead guitar on that Marty Robbins album, along with many other albums. Small world :)

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #55,944 of 145,580
Please, before you upload pics to any internet site, scrub the picture of all location data. Instructions are easy to find via DuckDuckGo or Google.
Encouraging people to "go look it up" is enough to dissuade most from bothering with it, and I find editing metadata to be not so simple and in the area of specialized knowledge. It would help if you describe what you have found to be a quick and simple procedure.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #55,945 of 145,580
Encouraging people to "go look it up" is enough to dissuade most from bothering with it, and I find editing metadata to be not so simple and in the area of specialized knowledge. It would help if you describe what you have found to be a quick and simple procedure.

No. In the time it took you to write your reply you could have found your particular solution (it's different for Mac, PC, IOS, Android and Linux)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #55,946 of 145,580
No. In the time it took you to write your reply you could have found your particular solution (it's different for Mac, PC, and Linux)

If you use Android, open your camera app and turn of the share location setting. This keeps location metadata out of your photos. Thankfully I had already done that.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #55,947 of 145,580
I am impressed you keep your card catalog to free of dust. :jecklinsmile:

He sticks his ear up to it every now and then and vacuums it off.

:left_facing_fist:

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #55,948 of 145,580
Silly Rabbit. I keep the catalog in the Class 1 clean room I built in the garage next to the hot water heater and aquarium I'm gonna clean out and use again one day. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #55,949 of 145,580
impressive!
Meh, not really. I found a template through an online search of MickeySoft's holdings but did tweak it a bit for additional fields. I once had the grand idea to include the cover art but then my currently 35 MB file would most assuredly balloon by several orders of magnitude. So no. It (the db) does come in very handy I must admit! :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #55,950 of 145,580
I have a list of Albums, with just over 6000 items, that I have been growing in an Excel spreadsheet for many years. Excel because I like to use colors to highlight all sorts of things, and if msAccess or another (actual) database does that, it's beyond my knowledge. I use it regularly.

1144 are "unique" items that I have, and there's probably another 300 or so that are alternative versions. Includes CDs, music DVDS and BluRays, and e-formats. I haven't bothered entering any of my 500 or so LPs. I've listened to exactly one LP in the last 20 years, and even Sol probably won't get me off the convenience of digital.

The rest are my working "looking for" list, populated from Artist/Album recommendations here and other forums, All-Music, etc.

I don't have a portable version though, so I still sometimes buy a used CD at Goodwill that I discover, when I get home, I already own. Dammit, that's $2 WASTED. But I presumably get a partial refund, in charity points, when I donate those back. (That's assuming Somebody Up There is diligently keeping score, and I'm not thinking about Santa Claus here, although he is on my Most-Admired list.)

I'm not totally convinced the benefit exceeds the pain, but it DOES keep track of all the things I'm interested in acquiring and hearing. JRiverMC does a better job of keeping 100% up-to-date with what I own as e-files, but AFAIK JRMC doesn't handle physical media or the WANT list. (Maybe I should check, though.)

Probably when I decide that streaming is delivering high-enough sound quality, or upgrade to Roon, my entire catalog becomes a piece of useless obsolete e-rubbish. (Well heh, you know, some of the Egyptian pharaohs invested a lot of effort into their pyramids, and they didn't get to take those with them either.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back