Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 19, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #55,921 of 145,769
In my experience, embedded ID3 tags from digital downloads (eClassical, I'm looking at you especially) or CD rippers are often wrong. I can manually correct them by consulting multiple metadata sources (some that you have to pay for to get full functionality, llike Rovi/AllMusic) or I can let Roon do that work automatically. In most cases, Roon wins. My time is worth a lot more than what I pay for Roon.

This x1000. I can cite 10's of examples but here's just one.
Importing CDs from Tommy Castro using various metadata sources I got:

1. Tommy Castro
2. Castro, Tommy
3. Tommy Castro and the Painkillers
4. Tommy Castro and the Pain Killers
5. Tommy Castro & the Painkillers
6. Tommy Castro & the Pain Killers

Classical metadata is a whole different layer of pain (see what I did there?)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #55,922 of 145,769
My Bifrost clicks as well. I'm not worried about it.
My Bifrost also clicks away. Ah, relays. I like to pretend it's an all-single-outputted (no XLR) Gungnir MB. :ksc75smile:

I'm messing around with Foobar2000's Meier crossfeed DSP. My Marty Robbin's Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs album's a lot more pleasant to listen to (less extreme left/right sound output). It ain't the gadget. Ah well... Still enjoyable, eh.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #55,923 of 145,769
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #55,924 of 145,769
The developer of EAC reports a Mac version in the works. "Coming soon".
...as of 2016... Ah well. As long as EAC keeps chugging along on Windows 10, I won't complain. Damn... I'm assuming Schiit won't try installing EAC-type software on their future (?) transport -- a litigation nightmare. Right? RIIIIIGHT?! Oooh, that'd be nice. :ksc75smile:

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #55,925 of 145,769
I can sense that is both light-hearted and honest. And I get it. But I want to spring off that with a question for all the vinyl spinners: forget about the physical space for storing all the LPs (and digital discs take up plenty of doom, too), but how do you keep track of what music you own? What genres? Composers, conductors, orchestras? One of the reasons that classical meta tags, especially of older recordings, are more work is because of the lack of organizational uniformity in the record publishing industry itself. This is not a problem with any particular medium—it’s true across all media.
*snip* Cheers!

Many years ago I developed an Access database that has survived many incarnations of Windoze and computers. It contains all of my CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and LPs that have been purchased fairly recently. It was only last year that I finished adding all of my CDs. It contains all of the standard information and discogs links if available. It also contains the purchase date and price. If I really want to cringe, I run a query on the purchase price and look at the total. I don't do that very often.

I still have maybe a hundred LPs that I bought before CDs came out along with my parents' collection that need to be included. Was planning on adding those as I did needle drops on them, buuuuut....I haven't had that type of free time lately.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #55,926 of 145,769
Discogs is a necessity for me. Saves me a lot of money by not buying something I already own. You can also download your collection in CSV format to import into a spreadsheet.
While I do use Discogs, I don't do this. I have a pretty extensive database built up and it has saved me from buying duplicates of some things, but until lately I could only access it at home. Because of this, it couldn't stop me from buying dupes of things when I saw what I thought were great deals while at work.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #55,927 of 145,769
Jan 20, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #55,928 of 145,769
Good album...

I keep hoping that some day I walk into the right second hand store and find a copy of that on vinyl. I really really like that album, start to finish.

To date all of my records have been hand me downs or bought from second hand establishments, and garage sales.

I know I could use the internet to have a copy of that album here yesterday, but for this particular hobby, that doesn't hold much appeal.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #55,929 of 145,769
If I really want to cringe, I run a query on the purchase price and look at the total. I don't do that very often.
:jecklinsmile: In Access? You win. Anyway, that’s a great thing to have, something that tracks the physical assets. I used to use a media asset manager, and then I just quit. That was a mistake, of course, because it really is helpful to have a place to record catalog numbers. Not only to avoid duplicate purchases, but also to keep track of which original/master/remaster/remix is actually the one you want to listen to. IMHO, it’s not the target or strong suit of Roon and other players.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #55,930 of 145,769
I use a variation of the Dewey Decimal System to catalog my vinyl.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #55,931 of 145,769
Jan 20, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #55,932 of 145,769
Many years ago I developed an Access database that has survived many incarnations of Windoze and computers. It contains all of my CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and LPs that have been purchased fairly recently. It was only last year that I finished adding all of my CDs. It contains all of the standard information and discogs links if available. It also contains the purchase date and price. If I really want to cringe, I run a query on the purchase price and look at the total. I don't do that very often.

I still have maybe a hundred LPs that I bought before CDs came out along with my parents' collection that need to be included. Was planning on adding those as I did needle drops on them, buuuuut....I haven't had that type of free time lately.
impressive!

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #55,933 of 145,769
At one time I created many FileMaker Pro databases. Work, home, volunteer stuff and so forth.
At some point I skipped an update, then several, and now I do not have a working copy unless I fire up an old Mac from the "collection".

Would have to make stepped updates to get current, and purchase a copy. So all such data is dead, unless I expend at lot of time and effort.
Including my album, reel to reel tape, cassette tape and some earlier CD's database.
Nothing fancy just album name, artist, date, catalog number and a bit more info. Database searches and sorting cannot be beat.

However, the hand written paper listings of the reel to reel tapes are still going strong.

Now I buy duplicate copies, due to memory failure.

I guess I do not care enough anymore.
Artist and/or Album name or memory is generally enough to find what I am looking for.

Playing the music and enjoying.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #55,934 of 145,769
Ah memories, memories.
I also started out with a stack of steel drawers with handwritten cards in it. Changed to dBase database, later to Clipper and much later to MySQL.
Haven't used them for decades now. Stopped adding info when I changed from LP's to CD's.
Home compiled playlists on reel-to-reel and cassette discarded all of those too.
Knew where to find any track on any sampler in the vinyl wall by heart.
As I said, very nice memories. And it means I'm getting old :frowning2:

Now my wall is getting more and more empty as I'm selling of all my vinyl records.

vinyl.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back