Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #55,786 of 148,629
@Schiit

Two questions:
1.) Is there any concern for the scratchy noise I hear when moving the volume pot on both the Magni 3 and Heresy? This is heard when you move it quickly through the volume range.
2.) Is there anything you might do about it in the future such as clean the pot leads etc.

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #55,787 of 148,629
You have reminded me of a must: if your are using a laptop, use a good external drive for ripping.

Absolutely. The built-In laptop drives and external slimline drives I’ve tried have been less than stellar at ripping (crap actually, struggling with even hairline scratches). The full-size SH-S182D effortlessly gives an accurate rip on those, and can also handle discs that are scratched far more severely and still give a verified accurate rip.

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #55,789 of 148,629
AFAIK, there are no plans for a DAC card that will include Unison. Unison won't fit on the same board.

Apologies if I missed a related discussion somewhere earlier in the forum, but a kinda sorta related question about Unison: does it make sense to include as a solution on a source device, e.g., a transport? Or if Schiit were perhaps to come out with a USB-equipped, affordable, and cleverly (i.e., Schiittily) engineered Volksstreamer that would make existing digital streamers seem limited and archaic?

I don't use USB as an audio connectivity solution (yet) so I feel like there's a lot about Unison that is just beyond my ken.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #55,791 of 148,629
AFAIK, there are no plans for a DAC card that will include Unison. Unison won't fit on the same board.

I did some digging and Jason previously said this it was almost a year ago:
Unison USB could fit into anything we want it to. Heck, it could fit in Fulla 2. It's actually physically smaller than our current C-Media based solution. However, Unison is a bit more expensive than our current USB input, and, as mentioned before, this is a future-looking product (no W7 support), so we'll be careful what we put it in until W7 is well and truly dead. So, Unison small products are pretty far out. Expect to see it in a card first.
You will see Unison In Bifrost, Yggdrasil and Gungnir first of course.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #55,792 of 148,629
Jan 16, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #55,793 of 148,629
I did some digging and Jason previously said this it was almost a year ago:

Unison USB could fit into anything we want it to. Heck, it could fit in Fulla 2. It's actually physically smaller than our current C-Media based solution. However, Unison is a bit more expensive than our current USB input, and, as mentioned before, this is a future-looking product (no W7 support), so we'll be careful what we put it in until W7 is well and truly dead. So, Unison small products are pretty far out. Expect to see it in a card first.
You will see Unison In Bifrost, Yggdrasil and Gungnir first as replacement USB boards of course.
I stand corrected. I knew about Unison upgrades for the standalone DACs but missed Jason's comments about the optional DAC cards.

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #55,794 of 148,629
It’s dbPoweramp. I’m running it on a mac. It’s also available on Windows, but not any kind of Linux as far as I can see on their website. It has great batch transcoding options as well. I transcode the ripped FLAC to AAC for use with iTunes (which can’t - or rather won’t - handle FLAC).

There’s also EAC (exact audio copy), that can also consult the AccurateRip database, but is Windows only. However, I’ve read that some have had success running it on Linux using Wine.

The developer of EAC reports a Mac version in the works. "Coming soon".

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #55,797 of 148,629
I have ripped over 2000 CD with theses work horses.: https://www.amazon.com/LG-GE24NU40-Super-External-Rewriter/dp/B00C4401UO
Highly recommended.

99232DB7-2727-4BFC-926A-E620E3B1B1E9.jpeg

$53, that’s a fair price I think, but,
$506 in shipping and import fees? Yikes! :scream:
I think I’ll shop local on this one.. :smirk:
..even if I can save $2.40 at checkout.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #55,798 of 148,629
That's a crazy shipping and import charge. In the US with Amazon Prime, it is free one day shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back