Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #54,916 of 149,175
Here's what I did in Roon. Do a search in Roon for Grateful Dead. When you get the results, select "View All Tracks". When you get those results, on the far right side of the screen tap the upside down "^" symbol which will reveal some display options. Select the "Date Added" option. You should now have all of your Dead files listed with the most recent ones first. Select "Command A" to select all of the files. Once they're highlighted, at the top of the screen there's the icon with 3 vertical dots. Tap it and select "Add to a playlist" and follow the commands giving it a name that you'll remember. You'll now have ALL of your Dead songs in a playlist. The files should be listed with your newest ones first and they should play in order. You can manually delete any of your other Dead files from the list but that would be fairly time consuming. Hope this helps.
@Roy G. Biv hey thanks for suggestion will try that-- basically downloaded those 'original first time played' dead songs for 'schiits and giggles' but it is interesting how they sounded 'way back' when... but some are really awful sounding! bobbmd

Dec 21, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #54,917 of 149,175
I dunno. Took Freya out of signal chain and now I'm using Audirvana volume control. It's not the same. Some audiophile buzzwords disappeared.

But Saga is not Freya. I get the impression from various things I've read, that Freya sounds a whole lot better than Saga.
Which Saga and Freya exactly did you try -- original? S? +?

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #54,918 of 149,175
Yeah, I had originally considered this approach, and it would definitely be simpler/cheaper. I decided on the 4PDT primarily so that when in stereo mode, the resistors wouldn't be in-line at all.

EDIT: IMPORTANT, I should have stated, adding this mod will remove the reversibility of the Sys. In mono mode, it can only be safely used as a switch, not a splitter. If you use it as a splitter and want this switch, you'd need to reverse the input/output wires on the RCA jack/PCB.

Going with the solution I have, the trade-off is, in stereo mode, the signal goes through the switch. The SPST switch version may be better, assuming the resistors are matched so you don't have channel imbalance and you can live with the slight volume reduction.
For those curious, here's what that would look like.
rHNWpr7.png

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #54,919 of 149,175
@quimbo thanks that's exactly where i got my DEAD lists from am going to try @Roy G. Biv's suggestions and also go back to Archive.org and see if i missed something on how to download them to something other than music files like i said i did it for schiits and giggles and some are really POOR but listenable and i will try that other link you cited-- certainly better than doing my medical records from last week or so thanks again and happy holidays/new year
bobbmd

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #54,920 of 149,175
@ev666il thanks for the reply—i probably didn’t explain this correctly-i have all those dead files and can play them one at a time in ‘FINDER’(they show up as music files one song at a time)i tried to transfer them to first TIDAL as a playlist and then to ROON and A+3.5 but couldn’t— i can’t seem to figure out how to do this. My system is late 2012 Mac mini i7 16GB RAM OS is El Capitan. Like you i have all my iTunes library of ripped cd’s dvd-a’s and sacd’s on ROON ver 1.7 on A+3.5(in the ‘legacy’ iTunes portion) and also on Qobuz and TIDAL— just don’t know to get those Archive.org dead songs in ‘FINDER’ into one of those platforms-hope that is a better explination (sic) bobbmd

Not sure if I'm following here, but this is what I think you need to do based on the above.
In Roon go to Settings > Storage and add the parent folder of the orphan albums [this is what you must have done to add music to Roon]. I use a number of 'top level' folders Flac, Mp3, Spoken, Etc, each mounted as a separate location.

I'm not aware of any way to 'transfer files to Tidal [or Qobuz] - p[erhaps you create a playlist to either bu simply searching for the files and adding them (that is, creating a duplicate of the playlist?), then if you add your subscription details for Tidal and Qobuz into Roon, you will see all your playlists etc (and can add to them) search, play etc. That's how I have it set up and it works really well.

If I've misunderstood, happy to help more.

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #54,921 of 149,175
Personally I have 3-5 remotes laying around all the time, I am lazy.

You and I are a different kind of lazy.:grin:

I was hoping you would provide a unified remote so that I would only have to keep track of one remote, because I am too lazy to keep track of 3-5 remotes....

New products eh? What else is percolating? Some would guess Gadget. I hope that's it, but it's been rumored for so long now, I will believe that when I see it.:grin:

In regards to custom remotes can your remote vendor put out a remote in the same style as your current ones that is user programmable, or programmable by you guys? Maybe the SD card trick you use for bifrost 2 can be used on a remote to help future proof it.

Also, not doing something now because you might have something else coming out in the future does seem to fly in the face of the positions you have posted about, in the past.

I have to imagine there are enough of us who have a bifrost 2 and saga or Freya to make it worth your while. Plus all the future sales.

Please reconsider your position on it.

Thanks

Oh and one other question, if the community were to consolidate your old listings & downloads and provide them to you, would you put up a section for your legacy items?

The legwork seems to be the time consuming part right?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #54,922 of 149,175
Jason's been quiet lately. I hope that means that he has been working non-stop around the clock to bring the gadget out before Christmas. lol. (Probably just talking time off for the holidays. I guess Jason's entitled to a few days off :wink: )
Stop buggering Jason about a project that's in Mike's hands.

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #54,924 of 149,175
Jotunheim R looks great, very niche.... So does this mean a Jotunheim 2 is also in the works?

I've been waiting to go balanced, the Dx7 Pro looks good, but can be a bit pricy for my blood (Yes I know.... My Ether CXs weren't cheap, and Yes I know a Jot with DAC won't be much else than a dx7 pro) but I love the modularity, and discreet amp.

A balanced 4499 based DAC module would be cool as well as an upgrade if people so choose, or one with a usb and optical (I used both on my Modi 2u)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #54,925 of 149,175
Jotunheim R looks great, very niche.... So does this mean a Jotunheim 2 is also in the works?

Jason said not to hold our collective breath for a Nexus Jotunheim. It would be cool but also pricey, and I'm not sure how much of a benefit it would be for people using its balanced I/O (IIRC, Jason said Pivot Point and Nexus have a lot in common, except Pivot Point is only weakly differential—I'm no expert, but I believe that has to do with the balanced-to-SE conversion?)

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #54,926 of 149,175

ROFL! Jason should consider a cease and desist letter here. I mean, if anyone has natural trademark rights to a schitt'r....

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #54,927 of 149,175
Jason said not to hold our collective breath for a Nexus Jotunheim. It would be cool but also pricey, and I'm not sure how much of a benefit it would be for people using its balanced I/O (IIRC, Jason said Pivot Point and Nexus have a lot in common, except Pivot Point is only weakly differential—I'm no expert, but I believe that has to do with the balanced-to-SE conversion?)

I'm not too familiar with those terms, you mean topologies? Is nexus a newer one?

But that makes sense, the current Jot is pretty decent on its own right arm anyways

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #54,928 of 149,175
You and I are a different kind of lazy.:grin:

I was hoping you would provide a unified remote so that I would only have to keep track of one remote, because I am too lazy to keep track of 3-5 remotes....

New products eh? What else is percolating? Some would guess Gadget. I hope that's it, but it's been rumored for so long now, I will believe that when I see it.:grin:

In regards to custom remotes can your remote vendor put out a remote in the same style as your current ones that is user programmable, or programmable by you guys? Maybe the SD card trick you use for bifrost 2 can be used on a remote to help future proof it.

Also, not doing something now because you might have something else coming out in the future does seem to fly in the face of the positions you have posted about, in the past.

I have to imagine there are enough of us who have a bifrost 2 and saga or Freya to make it worth your while. Plus all the future sales.

Please reconsider your position on it.

Thanks

Oh and one other question, if the community were to consolidate your old listings & downloads and provide them to you, would you put up a section for your legacy items?

The legwork seems to be the time consuming part right?

Yep. I'm a problem solver. Sure it ain't a nice slab of aluminum, but Saga and Freya are directly supported. BF2 functions can be learned. You can also setup macros and control non-Schiit IR devices like your TV, etc. :wink:

Used Harmony for years and it's rather nice.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #54,929 of 149,175

So...
The above “transportable” system includes, from top to bottom:
Vali 2 pre volume knob update with a Voskhod Rocket 1990 tube (two other choices are in the kit)
Magni 2 Uber
Modi Multibit from Uber time period
iCon iDo, to get digital out of iPods - iPod Classic with SS 256GB mod

Now for the fun bit.

Whoever first identifies the bottom most piece of the stack will win today’s gear nerd award.
I will toast them with today’s first sip of brown water.

Everything packs in an ammo box along with the assorted power bricks, cables, connectors and a power strip, except the item to be identified which goes ...

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #54,930 of 149,175
Stop buggering Jason about a project that's in Mike's hands.

Jason is a principal at Schiit so I don't think asking him questions about the status of a company project is inappropriate. Mike seems unlikely to answer questions at this point so I don't fault anyone for asking his business partner about it. Jason will respond, or not, as he sees fit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back