Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #54,796 of 149,010
In general - for anything upstream of the preamp, send it unattenuated (which usually means full volume, or better yet set up volume bypass mode if your equipment has one.) That said, I don't know how Audirvana is set up (but suspect that full volume = unattenuated).

ed

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #54,798 of 149,010
For those of you that use a pc as source, do you use the pc volume control? If not, what is it set at...max?

I'm using 2 Macs as music sources, both running Audirvana.

I ask because it *feels* like I should just run the full signal out of macs and leave it to the downstream components to attenuate the signal.

My 2 ch rig uses a Freya which I trust to do accurate attenuation.

My HP rigs however rely on the amp volume controls. However with a full signal coming in, the volume controls on both are almost at minimum...almost to the point where I lose one channel. I'm wondering if I should leave my HP amp volumes at their sweet spot and put a Saga in front of them for volume control. Unless using the mac volume control has no downside...then I'm fine.

TIA

I usually set mine at 75% (Mostly out of paranoia JIC there's a chance the signal clips once you get close to 100%).

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #54,799 of 149,010
That said, I don't know how Audirvana is set up (but suspect that full volume = unattenuated).

In Audirvana you can disable software volume control, which makes it send the signal as is (i.e. unattenuated.)

So I guess the right question to ask is: what is less detrimental - attenuating via the computer software or a preamp (I would be using a Saga for it's stepped attenuator)?

Preamp.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #54,801 of 149,010
Ok so Saga it is. In that case, I might as well completely bypass the volume pot on my Crack with some quick soldering :thinking:

+1 on preamp (like Saga) instead of using software-based volume control, for this setup. Consider trying it with the Crack's volume knob just maxxed out, before breaking out the soldering iron. If you bypass the Crack's volume pot, I recommend removing the knob to remind yourself that its bypassed.

edit: alternatively, there may be some proven mods to add padding resistors onto the volume pot and/or change the feedback (cathode resistors) and perhaps also grid resistors (changing cathode resistors may shift operating point, so grid resis may need to adjust) to reduce the Crack amp's gain. disclaimer, have never built one or looked at the schematic, but speaking about tube-based amps in general

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #54,802 of 149,010
Would any of you guys know if it is possible to drive a Gungnir with an iPad and lightning > USB interface?

Never mind that it is a BS setup, Just curious if it works.:L3000:

I found a description of this on the Schiit site but curious if anyone tried it.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #54,803 of 149,010
Consider trying it with the Crack's volume knob just maxxed out, before breaking out the soldering iron.

That would have been the easy thing to do. Unfortunately at full tilt the background noise is a tad too high for me.

alternatively, there may be some proven mods to add padding resistors onto the volume pot

Interesting thought. But if I'm going to be anal about this (which I will be), I'll just take the entire pot out of the path.

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #54,804 of 149,010
That would have been the easy thing to do. Unfortunately at full tilt the background noise is a tad too high for me.

Interesting thought. But if I'm going to be anal about this (which I will be), I'll just take the entire pot out of the path.
It may be worth trying an ifi iematch:
https://ifi-audio.com/products/iematch/
or maybe the ear buddy:
https://ifi-audio.com/products/ear-buddy/
There is a thread about the iematch here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-the-heck-is-it-ifi-iematch.814317/
I find it works quite well for my purposes (IEMs with headphone amps) but not everyone likes it (of course).

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #54,805 of 149,010
+1 on preamp (like Saga) instead of using software-based volume control, for this setup. Consider trying it with the Crack's volume knob just maxxed out, before breaking out the soldering iron. If you bypass the Crack's volume pot, I recommend removing the knob to remind yourself that its bypassed.

edit: alternatively, there may be some proven mods to add padding resistors onto the volume pot and/or change the feedback (cathode resistors) and perhaps also grid resistors (changing cathode resistors may shift operating point, so grid resis may need to adjust) to reduce the Crack amp's gain. disclaimer, have never built one or looked at the schematic, but speaking about tube-based amps in general

I have built a few, and have the schematics but I doubt I would alter the amp like that. I am working on a similar circuit but with 6SN7 equivalents. I am curious to hear this with the JJ’s Schiit is using.

Test song is Daft Punk...Get Lucky

935E88B4-F7B5-440D-87B9-394FDBCB482D.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #54,806 of 149,010
So do you have a preamp between your DAC and HP amp(s)?

Not really, my playback chain is Laptop - Bifrost Multibit - SYS - distribution amp - headphone amps. The only reason that I use a SYS in the chain is to lower the output level from the Bifrost so that it's suitable for my Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum, which has very high gain. I just set the volume knob on the SYS once - I don't use it to control the volume.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #54,807 of 149,010
Would any of you guys know if it is possible to drive a Gungnir with an iPad and lightning > USB interface?

I found a description of this on the Schiit site but curious if anyone tried it.

Sure this works. The iPad will send data to any DAC that does not draw too much power. The Gungnir is self powered, thus does not draw power.
Have done this as a method of trouble shooting a USB issue with my Mac.

I purchased a Fulla 2 on "Last Call" and use it with an iPad, must use optional USB power to Fulla or it reports "requires too much power" on iPad.
No such issue with the Gungnir.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #54,808 of 149,010
FYI, 'mook' is defined by merriam-webster as a "foolish, insignificant, or contemptible person" :triportsad:

For $4800, IMHO, a better buy would be a Yggdrasil, Freya+, and two Aegirs.
I just took delivery of Yggdrasil GS, and inserting into the chain with Freya S and two Vidars. So super budget at $3600. I still might need some $1000 wood blocks to elevate my speaker cables.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #54,809 of 149,010
So do you have a preamp between your DAC and HP amp(s)?

From what I understand Audirvana bypasses all PC volume as well...but has its own version built in? So I guess I'm not really sure - perhaps it just takes PC's volume hostage so nothing else can use it.

I run my Freya+ into my Mjolnir2. Great results.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #54,810 of 149,010

I have done this with Bifrost MB with Gen5 USB and it works. Though I use the Apple USB 3 adapter since it lets me charge the iOS device while streaming to the DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back