Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #54,409 of 148,090
Paladin79, the ORT Gandalf is a very honorable gesture. It gives me the warm fuzzies.

I just ordered a Fulla for my son. I hope his audio journey gets a kickstart.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #54,410 of 148,090
Going back to the first Yggdrasil chapter for a second, I wanted to ask—does anybody know when D/S ADCs started to see widespread use in the industry?
Based on what Jason wrote, CDs recorded roughly from the early days of digital (1982) to about a decade later (say, 1992) should have gone through multibit ADCs (thus retaining all original samples.) Mike's GAIN system was in use from 1993 to 1997, so MFSL albums released in that time frame also used a multibit ADC (with an inverse comboburrito filter to boot.)
Bit of a nervosa moment for me, but I'm trying to ascertain which albums would give me the full "original samples" experience, which should be as close to analog as digital can sound (I've already retrieved a list of MFSL records done with Mike's GAIN system, so I'm mostly after everything else.)
If (digital audio) life was that easy, this (audio) world would be a beautiful world.
Early digital recordings were stored on analogue 1-2 inch video tapes. That's also why we ended up with that weird 44.1 sample rate. In the eighties that was the only available recording device with enough bandwidth to hold 14-16 bits audio. To be able to store the digital signal a Sony PCM 1600-1603 unit was most likely involved.
The only company NOT using these machines was Decca UK who manufactured their own digital recording machine in the late seventies in Hampstead-London. It was used until the late 90's because there was no system that sounded better!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #54,411 of 148,090
Paladin79, the ORT Gandalf is a very honorable gesture. It gives me the warm fuzzies.
You are most kind.
He was a good man. I need to think of a name for the smaller version.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #54,412 of 148,090
AM/FM tuner = dedicated commercial delivery device. No thanks. :)
No (commercial-free) NPR/Community Radio in your area?

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #54,413 of 148,090
You are most kind.
He was a good man. I need to think of a name for the smaller version.

The ORT Gandalf Jr.

Perhaps just obvious to me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #54,414 of 148,090

I am doing some preliminary setup on a device I just built to honor ORT and his love of VU meters. I have not figured out the labeling I want to use yet but it shall be the ORT Gandalf. This is one of a kind, except for a smaller version I will build for my mini rack. They are NOT something I would sell or build for anyone else.
When completed I will be able to check various levels though out this system and it will be switchable between four stereo inputs and there will be at least four outputs so that I do not give up any outputs on existing gear.
That's beautiful.. has a great 'vintage' look. 4 meters - Is that a quad system? Sweet! (said as an ex-Marantz 4270 owner).

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #54,418 of 148,090
That's beautiful.. has a great 'vintage' look. 4 meters - Is that a quad system? Sweet! (said as an ex-Marantz 4270 owner).

It is not quad, it is monitoring two different outputs. As I said earlier it will be switchable as well, I am in the middle of a project where I am building four class A tube amps and I want to be able to quickly check all levels. This is similar to the Schiit shoot out except any size or shape of 6sn7 equivalent can be used.

Oh and Gandalf...by way of Wikipedia..

Tolkien derived the name Gandalf from Gandálfr, a dwarf in Norse mythology. In Norse the name means wand-elf or staff-elf. This is reflected in his name Tharkûn, which is "said to mean 'Staff-man' " in Khuzdul, one of Tolkien's invented languages.

I have the electronics done on the small box, I will try to post a photo later after I do a few cosmetics. @bcowen made a much nicer mini rack so I am trying to outdo him with bling. :ksc75smile: This device has fewer practical purposes other than matching up the red and black color scheme with a HEL.

I am reminded of the line from 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.....Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #54,419 of 148,090
@bcowen made a much nicer mini rack so I am trying to outdo him with bling. :ksc75smile: This device has fewer practical purposes other than matching up the red and black color scheme with a HEL.

If you keep increasing the complexity level, it's going to be harder and harder for me to copy it. But I'm guessing you already knew that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #54,420 of 148,090
The ORT Gandalf Jr.

Perhaps just obvious to me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll throw out my nomination of 'RipperMeter 5000' for consideration on the smaller, but yet equally as capable unit's name. :smirk:

If you keep increasing the complexity level, it's going to be harder and harder for me to copy it. But I'm guessing you already knew that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:If you keep increasing the complexity level, it's going to be harder and harder for me to copy it. But I'm guessing you already knew that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@bcowen made a much nicer mini rack so I am trying to outdo him with bling.

Here ya go, @Paladin79 . Glad to help!!

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back