Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #53,776 of 148,558
Say, any of you boys (and gal) listening to music these days? :smiley_cat:

Currently listening to Elbow.

I didn't know the band yet, but Roon Radio brought it my way this evening.

Other interesting things I was listening to earlier this evening were "What a fine tune you got me into", from Gilgamesh, and "Door to Door", from Emma Sand Group.

Nov 21, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #53,778 of 148,558
I just did a lifetime for roon 3 months ago. I love it, but at $700 i would have struggled to justify it. I do believe its worth it, but its difficult to part with 700, plus for me building a ROCK server.

Maybe they should charge $100 for Roon ROCK OS?

Nov 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #53,779 of 148,558
God I hate all the nonsense about cables that continues to pollute audio forums. I'll come back when this has run its course. Again.

Interesting. I would have guessed that posts about cats, coffee, whisky, pizza et al. would be what makes one take a break from the forum.

Roon Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

$699 is too much for Roon’s lifetime subscription

It’s meant to hurt. It’s meant to reduce sales of lifetimes! If you hate it, the goal is achieved.
The lifetime should not be an end-goal for Roon subscribers, it hurts us as a company and is not a viable business model for our future.
We will eventually eliminate the lifetime entirely. If you have the cash and want the lifetime, go for it while it lasts. If you don’t, the annual is the right thing for you (and for us).
The annual is STILL $119 for a year. That’s $10 a month. If Roon isn’t worth $10 a month to you, then we are doing something wrong and you should go elsewhere. It certainly brings me more joy than $10 every month, and our business vision is to do the same for every one of our subscribers.

Lucky me for ponying up the $499 less than a month ago. It still seems like a big chunk of money, but with most of the well-known software makers going to a subscription model (Microsoft, Adobe, etc.) I can't say that I'm surprised.

One of my better purchases in the last few years was, IIRC, $50 for a lifetime Plex membership.

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #53,782 of 148,558
Say, any of you boys (and gal) listening to music these days? :smiley_cat:

Since it's raining and snowing here in the New Mexico desert, it's a fine day for long Grateful Dead jams. Later I'll find some Miles or Coltrane, or similar, to melt into the evening. :pray:

Dame Vera Lynn is on the wireless right now singing "Dream."

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #53,784 of 148,558
I've got Gerry Lafferty playing over Qobuz right now.

Hoping Mr Stoddard puts out a mid sized Loki one one of these days. The mini works great in the office, but a larger one would fit my home better.

10-12 band, 5-6 per channel, balance control, would be pretty sweet.

Add a phase button. And remote for the balance and phase...

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #53,785 of 148,558
Try attempting to find electronic component brick and mortar stores---they are all gone. The net is your only source.

Hmm. Up here In Canada we still have The Source (formerly Radio Shack), London Drugs, Best Buy and new kid Memory Express. They all sell stereo equipment. Admittedly, selection is down from a decade ago....

In Alberta we've also got a number of hi-end stores repping Macintosh, Focal, Paradigm, etc. etc. etc. It's not hard to audition everything from $50 Bluetooth speakers to $5000 amps to $50000 speakers.

And most stores will price match Amazon for other things - I've been shopping for Command Strips, and B&M stores often have better prices on that sort of commodity item than Amazon.

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #53,787 of 148,558
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #53,789 of 148,558
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #53,790 of 148,558
Interesting. I would have guessed that posts about cats, coffee, whisky, pizza et al. would be what makes one take a break from the forum.

Lucky me for ponying up the $499 less than a month ago. It still seems like a big chunk of money, but with most of the well-known software makers going to a subscription model (Microsoft, Adobe, etc.) I can't say that I'm surprised.

One of my better purchases in the last few years was, IIRC, $50 for a lifetime Plex membership.

Yup, to both! To me each has been a great investment. Today's upgrades to Roon look pretty good, and the actual upgrade went off without a hitch - a first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back