Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 21, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #53,761 of 148,404
That is a huge problem. If there are no reviews, no impression threads how in earths name will you ever be able to establish how it sounds. No clue whatsoever.
Wait ......wait, my wife just whispers something in mu ear. Listen for yourself? What? Make my own decision? Creepy. Never done that before. Must try it once.

Can't your wife just tell you how much you like it and how you will never have to upgrade?
food-drink-opinion-doormat-self_regard-decisive-saloon-bven2357_low.jpg

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #53,762 of 148,404
This would be like driving your car in reverse all the time. :slight_smile:

Seriously, although I've tried, I am not able to detect a difference in sound based solely on which way the signal is traveling in a wire or cable. There can logically be a difference in a shielded cable where the shield is connected only on one end. But even then I've failed miserably at hearing any difference significant enough to care about. Perhaps the difference would manifest itself more audibly in an RFI-noisy environment or with longer cable runs than I've had experience with.

My 1990s era Monster interconnects have arrows on them. I've never been able to hear a difference when swapping directions, but my audio nervosa makes me plug them in "right way around" anyway.

And if there's anything to this cooking business then they're probably well-cooked after 30 years of continuous use... :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #53,764 of 148,404
All this cable talk has made it hard to find my favorite cat and coffee posts. :unamused:

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #53,765 of 148,404
Nov 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #53,766 of 148,404
Yep, that's the biggest reason I order online. Local stores' stock is so bad, looking for an usual item or a specific item always turns into a wild goose chase.

To B&M stores, I say, "You can't sell what you don't have!"

I order everything I can thru Amazon to try and balance out the free shipping which costs me $13.00 a month on my credit card. Yeah! That makes sense, free shipping for $13.00 a month. LOL!
But the average for S & H use to be $5.00 to $6.00 per order so if I make 2 purchases or more a month (and I usually do) I guess it pays me to have Prime. I don't use any other stuff Prime offers.

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #53,767 of 148,404
Roon Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

$699 is too much for Roon’s lifetime subscription

It’s meant to hurt. It’s meant to reduce sales of lifetimes! If you hate it, the goal is achieved.
The lifetime should not be an end-goal for Roon subscribers, it hurts us as a company and is not a viable business model for our future.
We will eventually eliminate the lifetime entirely. If you have the cash and want the lifetime, go for it while it lasts. If you don’t, the annual is the right thing for you (and for us).
The annual is STILL $119 for a year. That’s $10 a month. If Roon isn’t worth $10 a month to you, then we are doing something wrong and you should go elsewhere. It certainly brings me more joy than $10 every month, and our business vision is to do the same for every one of our subscribers.

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #53,768 of 148,404
Say, any of you boys (and gal) listening to music these days? :smiley_cat:

Since it's raining and snowing here in the New Mexico desert, it's a fine day for long Grateful Dead jams. Later I'll find some Miles or Coltrane, or similar, to melt into the evening. :pray:

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #53,769 of 148,404
Say, any of you boys (and gal) listening to music these days? :smiley_cat:

Since it's raining and snowing here in the New Mexico desert, it's a fine day for long Grateful Dead jams. Later I'll find some Miles or Coltrane, or similar, to melt into the evening. :pray:

Which shows are you listening to? I'm working my way through some Miller soundboards from the late 70s, although I have some mid 80s stuff queued up after that. I need to find some good Hornsby shows as well.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #53,771 of 148,404
Which shows are you listening to? I'm working my way through some Miller soundboards from the late 70s, although I have some mid 80s stuff queued up after that. I need to find some good Hornsby shows as well.

I've been exploring anniversary shows this week:

19 Nov 1972- Hofheinz Pavilion
20 Nov 1978- Cleveland
20 Nov 1973- Denver
21 Nov 1978- Rochester
21 Nov 1973- Denver -> Now Playing (literally and literally, at least the reprise)

Happy Listening!

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #53,773 of 148,404
The lifetime should not be an end-goal for Roon subscribers, it hurts us as a company and is not a viable business model for our future.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that repeatedly, that selling lifetime subscriptions can not be a viable business strategy for the company...

Some people will probably be unhappy about this, but in the long run this should be better even though it will cost us more, since it will keep the company alive and the software maintained.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #53,774 of 148,404
Yep, that's the biggest reason I order online. Local stores' stock is so bad, looking for an usual item or a specific item always turns into a wild goose chase.

To B&M stores, I say, "You can't sell what you don't have!"
Try attempting to find electronic component brick and mortar stores---they are all gone. The net is your only source.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #53,775 of 148,404
Roon Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

$699 is too much for Roon’s lifetime subscription

It’s meant to hurt. It’s meant to reduce sales of lifetimes! If you hate it, the goal is achieved.
We will eventually eliminate the lifetime entirely. If you have the cash and want the lifetime, go for it while it lasts. If you don’t, the annual is the right thing for you (and for us).
The annual is STILL $119 for a year. That’s $10 a month. If Roon isn’t worth $10 a month to you, then we are doing something wrong and you should go elsewhere. It certainly brings me more joy than $10 every month, and our business vision is to do the same for every one of our subscribers.
At my age (76), a lifetime subscription is a very poor investment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back