Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #53,701 of 148,492
But...what if my subjective impressions are...wrong?
In audio that is impossible. They might not be shared by anyone else, but they would remain your impressions. As long as you are being truthful with yourself. :)

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #53,702 of 148,492
the lamp looks like it belongs inside the Leaning Tower of Pisa :)

LOL it was tilted as I was running the ac cord through the base, that was really what Finn wanted, the moving wire. I have learned not to leave small parts on my work bench, they suddenly become cat toys if I do. Trying to fletch arrows with turkey feathers is a nightmare with him around so he gets locked out when I work on those.

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #53,703 of 148,492
Pure speculation at this point since we don't know much about the new transport, but if the new CD player has Unison USB out, does that mean your DAC won't necessarily need Unison USB in to get the advantages of Unison? Or would you really only need Unison on the DAC input side to get the advantages of it? Or I wonder if a Unison output + input could create a unison super synergy?

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #53,704 of 148,492
I really hope it's tiny. Barely bigger than a CD. Because then I'd get one for my desk as well. Kill the tray - just a slot, display under the slot. No buttons - just a remote.

Nope. Physical buttons mandatory for physical media. Especially if it's desk sized.

Why would I want to root around in the heaps of paper I laughingly call a filing system looking for the absolutely necessary lost remote when I could instead just reach out and push play?

That would be a deal breaker for me. Right now I'm living with a Samsung bluray player with a lost remote as my CD player. If it did not have physical buttons it would be a brick.

No buttons? No thanks!

That being said, I too would prefer that it be compact and desk-friendly. Preferably half rack or smaller - I like the Rega Apollo for that.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #53,707 of 148,492
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #53,708 of 148,492
What sort of monster are you?? So you're saying I should listen to it and use my own experience to form my own impressions on how it sounds?!

But...what if my subjective impressions are...wrong? What would head-fi think of me if my own impressions didn't line up the general consensus? I think it'd be safer to just read someone elses impressions, preferably someone who has like 20k posts on head-fi, and then regurgitate them as my own! Then everyone would think "wow this Cory guy really knows his schiit, he was spot on with his Jotunheim impressions, I should ask him if he wants to borrow my wife" something like that...

You guys are sooooooo late to the party. I've been doing exactly this for 20 years now. Haven't had any takers on the wife yet though...

Now if someone would just pontificate on which sounds and tastes better (purple or green), it would be a huge load off my shoulders. :smile:

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #53,709 of 148,492
...Now if someone would just pontificate on which sounds and tastes better (purple or green), it would be a huge load off my shoulders. :smile:

Follow your (Highway) Star...

Purple -- of course!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #53,711 of 148,492
I do agree with @wout31, while it's generally interesting to get other peoples takes on a piece of gear to add to my personal knowledge bank, and just as a part of the information and experience exchange, at the end of the day it's always my take that matters most. I suspect a majority of listeners here are focused on genres other than classical, which is my primary. Very often a sound that satisfies some genres may not favor others especially in a transducer, and here I'm thinking purely acoustic instruments versus a variety of acoustic plus electronic combos. That's why it's tough to beat a 15 to 30 day (or more in some cases) trial period even if it costs a few bucks for re-stock and shipping or renting as I've done over the years with headphones and some cables. In my case I also find its easier for me to take a leap of faith on the electronics, but rarely on transducers, be they phones or speakers. I generally want to hear them first at length. The only headphone I've purchased without extensive audition is the RAAL SR1a, primarily because I've been a fan of ribbons done right for many decades and was seriously interested in what could be done with them in a headphone. Plus, word of mouth was enticing and fairly spot on assessment wise. They also have a pretty amazing return policy if I remember correctly.

Nov 20, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #53,712 of 148,492
I do agree with @wout31, while it's generally interesting to get other peoples takes on a piece of gear to add to my personal knowledge bank, and just as a part of the information and experience exchange, at the end of the day it's always my take that matters most. I suspect a majority of listeners here are focused on genres other than classical, which is my primary. Very often a sound that satisfies some genres may not favor others especially in a transducer, and here I'm thinking purely acoustic instruments versus a variety of acoustic plus electronic combos. That's why it's tough to beat a 15 to 30 day (or more in some cases) trial period even if it costs a few bucks for re-stock and shipping or renting as I've done over the years with headphones and some cables. In my case I also find its easier for me to take a leap of faith on the electronics, but rarely on transducers, be they phones or speakers. I generally want to hear them first at length. The only headphone I've purchased without extensive audition is the RAAL SR1a, primarily because I've been a fan of ribbons done right for many decades and was seriously interested in what could be done with them in a headphone. Plus, word of mouth was enticing and fairly spot on assessment wise. They also have a pretty amazing return policy if I remember correctly.

FLTWS is among the few people I would listen to with recommendations and he has some specific listening choices that are very revealing IMHO. Occasionally I will get to hear large groups of very good equipment but it is generally just short term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back