Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 25, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #52,501 of 148,492
are you also evaluating one of those 'R' variants, or are you unable to confirm/deny due to NDA?
Neither.
I'm just being a smart a**,
just because…
hahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #52,503 of 148,492
I'm just going to leave this here ...

Those paying attention will quickly realize what they're looking at...

---

(This unit is a "production-qualifier", as mentioned earlier by Jason).

Ya,a tease, "R" variant,.wondering what the toggles do. The left one looks like Balanced/SE/and ? (some kinda connector I probably don't use). The middle toggle looks like a frequency modification setting, Bass Boost type(?). The right toggle I don't have a clue, on/off?, in/out? The upper symbol looks like the gender symbol for female but at a 90 degree angle, the bottom symbol "X" for X chromosome? Cryptic. Well, anyway, the seventh veil has finally dropped. I may for the first time buy a piece of Schiit in black, like that volume knob contrast and white print on a black background.

Looks like it may be available sooner rather than later. Shine-y!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #52,504 of 148,492

---

beautiful

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #52,505 of 148,492
The left one looks like Balanced/SE/and ? (some kinda connector I probably don't use). The middle toggle looks like a frequency modification setting, Bass Boost type(?). The right toggle I don't have a clue, on/off?, in/out? The upper symbol looks like the gender symbol for female but at a 90 degree angle, the bottom symbol "X" for X chromosome?
Best guess
Left: input selection. Dac card, balanced, SE
Middle: frequency response flat or bass boost
Right: preamp output on/off toggle

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #52,506 of 148,492
Ya,a tease, "R" variant,.wondering what the toggles do. The left one looks like Balanced/SE/and ? (some kinda connector I probably don't use). The middle toggle looks like a frequency modification setting, Bass Boost type(?). The right toggle I don't have a clue, on/off?, in/out? The upper symbol looks like the gender symbol for female but at a 90 degree angle, the bottom symbol "X" for X chromosome? Cryptic. Well, anyway, the seventh veil has finally dropped. I may for the first time buy a piece of Schiit in black, like that volume knob contrast and white print on a black background.

Looks like it may be available sooner rather than later. Shine-y!

supposed to be same inputs as regular Jotunheim.

top logo looks a bit different than the "S" on the front, though...

@Torq, would you mind pm'ing me your address, and closing your eyes, just for a little bit... :wink:

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #52,507 of 148,492
supposed to be same inputs as regular Jotunheim.

@Torq, would you mind pm'ing me your address, and closing your eyes, just for a little bit... :wink:

I wonder if there will be a choice of DAC card type (MB / DS)?
Will it use Pivot Point or Nexus tech or something altogether new / different?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #52,508 of 148,492
@tincanear thanks for reply-i have no interest in bifrost but thanks for the suggestion/i will not be using a preamp the Rggy 2 performs that function and i have the ORIGINAL Gungnir which is now retired --as i said i will be buying a NEW Gungnir multibit to go with the Rggy 2 BUT i would really like someone( like @Jason Stoddard ) to say that the GS definitely is GEN5USB and that it would be a 'better' buy but for the few extra $ than a new Gungnir multibit ( i assume b/o more expensive DAC chips used)
i have emailed @grover at Schiit same question
also any comments on Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors i am mating with the above?
thanks again for quick reply
bobbmd

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #52,509 of 148,492

---

Lovely shot and kind of envious of location (unless you brought it out somewhere special just for the photoshoot).

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #52,510 of 148,492
Anybody try a single Aegir on Maggie LRS?

See...
Schiit Audio Aegir power amplifier
https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-aegir-power-amplifier-page-2

Driving Magnepan .7s

"40Wpc into 4 ohms should be enough to play the $1400/ pair Magnepan .7s in my small room—right?
Well then, imagine "Po' Laz'us," also from Deep River of Song (singer unknown), at 80dB average with crazy 94dB peaks (C-weighted).
Or better yet, how about Kortnie Heying making tears pour down my face at 86dB average while singing the title song from I'll Fly Away: Country Hymns and Songs of Faith (44.1/16 FLAC EMI CMG/Tidal)?
Kortnie sounded pure and heavenly—but only at low SPLs.
At higher volumes, the Aegir's clipping was frequent and easily noticeable, but not totally damning."

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #52,511 of 148,492
wondering what the toggles do. The left one looks like Balanced/SE/and ? (some kinda connector I probably don't use). The middle toggle looks like a frequency modification setting, Bass Boost type(?). The right toggle I don't have a clue, on/off?, in/out?

Best guess

@terminatetrails is correct on the left and right selections. The middle switch turns the step-baffle compensation on or off. With it on the idea is that you get similar compensation as if you used the RAAL interface box. For the SR1a you'd want this on. The "off" option is there in case a future ribbon headphone needed different, or no, compensation. It'd also be useful if you want to handle the compensation yourself via EQ.

The top logo looks like a stylized "R".

I wonder if there will be a choice of DAC card type (MB / DS)?

You can use the same cards as for Jotunheim, Asgard 3, Lyr 3 and Ragnarok 2, so yes.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #52,515 of 148,492
Best guess

Bingo. As Torq confirmed, the middle switch is baffle compensation for the SR1a, like the one baked into the speaker amp interface box. If there are other, more conventional, headphones in Raal/Requisite's future, you won't need the baffle compensation. So you can turn it off.

And the preamp outputs can be turned on or off with the third switch, to facilitate use for pros who may be using powered monitors. Unlike most of our preamp outputs, though, this one is simply a passive volume control; we didn't want to take the chance of someone connecting XLR to RCA adapters that may short one leg of the XLR to a stage capable of very very high current. Also notice that there is no 1/4" jack, and the 4-pin XLR is male, as per Raal standards.

A couple of other details that I've probably already covered: yes, this is a Nexus amp, like Ragnarok 2, and the one that Torq has also has a True Multibit card in it, but it takes the same cards as our other modular amps. Or no card.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back