Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #52,186 of 149,245
845 Tube

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/845_(vacuum_tube)

Not only is hot, it has RADIOACTIVE, THORIATED CATHODES. It is truly is 'Hot'

Strange. You'd expect them to glow green instead of red. But "thoriated cathodes" just sounds so cool the radioactive part becomes irrelevant. Both the 845's and 211's run around 450F when fully warmed up as measured with an (admittedly inaccurate) IR thermometer. But get 4 of them lit up (2 per monoblock) and you save a lot of wear and tear on your house furnace. :relaxed:

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #52,187 of 149,245
You probably used the big ones, didn't you? Everyone knows the mini-size are the only ones that work. Sheeez. Do you need an instruction sheet for everything? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
WRONG!!! The peanut butter needs to be smeared on the cable in a 1mm layer.

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #52,188 of 149,245
Jotunheim R is the official name. Not super imaginative, but accurate. It's Jotunheim sized and it uses a Jotunheim bottom chassis. A lot of the mech is the same. Just every other part is different, from transformer to outputs, LOL. It's also a Nexus™ amp, unlike Jotunheim, so there are tons of matched parts.

There's something I've been puzzling over. If some SR1a owners are driving their phone with a stereo or mono Vidars, and others using amplifiers of 100 watts per channel and up, and some on even larger more costly behemoths with toaster sized heat sinks, how can a Jotunheim sized box develop sufficient power to drive them without melting down into a puddle of plastic and metal? :thinking:

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #52,190 of 149,245
There's something I've been puzzling over. If some SR1a owners are driving their phone with a stereo or mono Vidars, and others using amplifiers of 100 watts per channel and up, and some on even larger more costly behemoths with toaster sized heat sinks, how can a Jotunheim sized box develop sufficient power to drive them without melting down into a puddle of plastic and metal? :thinking:
The RAAL SR1a are very low impedance, a load of 0.2 Ohms (mostly supplied by the cable).
To get the necessary current from a normal amplifier it would need to be able to supply 100 W + into the 5.6 Ohm load of their Ribbon/Amp Interface
. The amplifier Jason is doing is designed to supply the current the RAALs need but only at the low voltage they require, so much lower power total.
He said the prototype was supplying 14.2A at clipping into a RAAL load, so that's 20 Watts RMS output into 0.2 Ohms.
(mainly heating the cable if recommended cable used :astonished:)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #52,192 of 149,245
Do you have media directly connected to this device or is it going over a network?

I built something similar with much help from @CAPT Deadpool running MoOde and while it ran quite well with an SD car that only had about 1 GB of music on it, when I connected one of my normal media drives (1 TB SSD with ~25000 files in .flac and .wav format) even after a day it hadn't indexed all the files, I tried this a couple times before just giving up and dragging out my old Oppo 105D to use as a source/server.
Connected to a 2TB SSD drive that I use to carry music between home and work. First indexing took maybe 20 mins, but updates since then (when I add music) are very quick. I think moOde has been improved in the last year, when I tried it back when I built the device, I had a similar experience to yours. Before moOde I had been using piCorePlayer, but that became flaky for still unclear reasons.

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #52,193 of 149,245
Of course not.
until Fulla is considered a big amp/dac relatively to the future components of course...nice dream: decades from now MB dacs are the size of a cable ... imagine those talks: my integrated cable/dac is the most neutral with slight warm flavour around it :)
:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #52,194 of 149,245
A Raspberry Pi can be a Roon Bridge I believe but it's not a DAC. Do the Roon endpoint streamers you have also function as a DAC? Or do you still have a standalone DAC next to it?
The streamers I use are connected to DACs. I did not want a DIY solution so no Pi's in my house. :)

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #52,195 of 149,245

Because it's not driving Raal's included impedance converter box (a box of resistors and chokes), it's designed to drive the Raal headphones directly. It does not need the impedance converter, which is typically used with a 100W+ speaker amplifier. So, instead of a stack of DAC/Preamp/Speaker Amp/Impedance Converter Box, it's a single unit (when used with the internal DAC card.)

Bottom line, every other speaker amp has to go through the converter box, because they're not designed for the very low impedance load. Jotunheim R is designed for a very low impedance load.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #52,196 of 149,245
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #52,197 of 149,245
Connected to a 2TB SSD drive that I use to carry music between home and work. First indexing took maybe 20 mins, but updates since then (when I add music) are very quick. I think moOde has been improved in the last year, when I tried it back when I built the device, I had a similar experience to yours. Before moOde I had been using piCorePlayer, but that became flaky for still unclear reasons.

Thanks, I'll have to give it another try. It was right at a year ago when I did the build.

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #52,198 of 149,245
I have one, bought it as soon as it became available in the Netherlands, which was actually before I got more serious about high-end audio.

It never worked well for me and as a result, I haven't made much use of it.

I've kept updating it, I've kept trying it, but still, it just doesn't work reliable for me. Not from Android phones and not from iPhones.

It loses connection, the app playing audio gets out of sync with what's playing, the app cannot properly pause or skip anymore, doesn't show what's playing, etc... All the time, with different music play apps including Google's own.
Often had to reboot it just to get it playing again.

Cheap, invisible, sound was OK in my otherwise not-so-good system, but overall not an experience to keep coming back to.

I had a similar experience with the Chromecast audio. OK when it worked, but it didn't work consistently. I have a couple sitting in a drawer somewhere now.

I have Schitt-ton of Sonos products. The app's OK, the recent updates are actually steps backward in my opinion, but overall the Sonos ecosystem works great. I use a Connect on my desktop system. When I VPN into my office, it kills my PC's internet connection, so at those times I use the Connect to feed my Modi Multibit via coax, and it works flawlessly. The CCA was always a bit hit or miss, especially trying to get Spotify Connect to find it from my PC.

I do agree the Connect (and now the new Port) are a bit overpriced for what they are...but nobody ever accused Sonos products of being inexpensive.

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #52,199 of 149,245
The RAAL SR1a are very low impedance, a load of 0.2 Ohms (mostly supplied by the cable).
To get the necessary current from a normal amplifier it would need to be able to supply 100 W + into the 5.6 Ohm load of their Ribbon/Amp Interface
. The amplifier Jason is doing is designed to supply the current the RAALs need but only at the low voltage they require, so much lower power total.
He said the prototype was supplying 14.2A at clipping into a RAAL load, so that's 20 Watts RMS output into 0.2 Ohms.
(mainly heating the cable if recommended cable used :astonished:)

Because it's not driving Raal's included impedance converter box (a box of resistors and chokes), it's designed to drive the Raal headphones directly. It does not need the impedance converter, which is typically used with a 100W+ speaker amplifier. So, instead of a stack of DAC/Preamp/Speaker Amp/Impedance Converter Box, it's a single unit (when used with the internal DAC card.)

Bottom line, every other speaker amp has to go through the converter box, because they're not designed for the very low impedance load. Jotunheim R is designed for a very low impedance load.

Interesting and thank you for the responses. My Jotunheim (sans any cards) has both balanced and SE inputs, assuming Jotunheim R has the same input setup I could use my Yggdrasil into Jotunheim R both ways simultaneously and slip my Loki in on the SE leg. Some fun options to play / listen with on SR1a.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #52,200 of 149,245
Deleted. Already answered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back