Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #51,604 of 149,114
In all seriousness, I just know the name as being on expensive tube amps. Thanks for the info @Ableza more high fi history for me to learn.

35 years ago I was just learning to talk, still learning that one.
35 years ago was one year after I got out of the military...

In any case the story is Phase Linear amplifier designer Bob Carver was challenged by Stereophile to recreate the sound of some high-end Conrad Johnson (I believe it was) tube amps with cheap solid state electronics. He succeeded, proving only that it could be done, but making many audiophiles of the day question their choices.

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #51,605 of 149,114
Who....oh Bob, yeah I love Bob, Bob Curver right, yeah, I've heard lots of his stuff. Man that thing he made that one time was great, of course I knew that.... Hey what Rob Carver model was that again.... What issue of stereophile was it 200.......

https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge :wink:

Gotta love Bob...Phase Linear 400 was my first Amp -- ORT would've loved it! :frog:

4264b7cb79efbe52025950a52fb77a64.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #51,606 of 149,114
He wasn't as uncontent as he appears. I wanted to insert another picture where he looks happier but somehow that was upside down after uploading...

Don't know why it does that, it shows properly on the screen before uploading.

There. Managed to fix it.

He looks much more content when you're not holding him upside down. :laughing:

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #51,607 of 149,114
Now there is a bad idea!:ksc75smile:

I am very deep into some woodworking today so I sent my wife out to buy up some Balvenie before the price starts changing. I am making every attempt to customize a stereo rack to fit specific Schiit gear and a couple other pieces of tube gear if I have room. Some of the shelves for said rack: 3/4 inch solid cherry with a bit of clear danish oil. They are the perfect width to accommodate a Freya plus, Gungnir, Mjolnir, and hopefully a Sol on top.

You keep your Schiit gear outside? Interesting idea. What if it rains? A Synergistic Research electron-tunneled tarp perhaps? :slight_smile:

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #51,608 of 149,114
Oct 4, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #51,609 of 149,114
LOL, yeah, we've been playing with something recently that sounds really good balanced, but super ass-y single-ended, and have tried a bunch of tricks to de-ass it, including changing the power supply significantly, and it's still pretty ass-y. That one probably won't make it out the door. Unless we find the ass.

I know this would just add another part number that you probably wouldn't want to do, how about removing the SE completely, add an additional balanced input and just offer it balanced only, especially if it does sound really good!

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #51,610 of 149,114
You keep your Schiit gear outside? Interesting idea. What if it rains? A Synergistic Research electron-tunneled tarp perhaps? :slight_smile:
Lol just a few shelves. I was trying to keep kitten tracks off the finish and besides the weather was glorious.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #51,611 of 149,114
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #51,612 of 149,114
Gotta dust-off my CT-7 Sonic Holography Pre-amp/Tuner and give it a run. :D

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #51,613 of 149,114
Bob Carver was active in the 19 oatcakes, not the 2000s…
He's still doing stuff.

Here's Stereophile writing about the Carver Challenge: https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge

There's this ad/video of Carver going into an audio store and kind of having a party that I saw a while ago but couldn't find just now. It's almost a cross of the famous Robert Plant video and something a bit more gonzo.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #51,614 of 149,114
Oct 4, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #51,615 of 149,114
Short answer: it's largely BS, but with some surprises.

I covered this in the Asgard 3 chapter, and in the Bifrost 2 chapter. I was surprised at the effect a power supply change had on the sound. I was also super-surprised how different Unison USB sounded from other USB solutions. Both of these are not really measurable phenomena. And there are still days when I think I'm just fooling myself.

The only thing we do that would fall under the uber-pretentious term "voicing" would be in the tweaking of Continuity, which has a dramatic effect on the sound and on the measurements. I can make something sound more or less tubey by changing a few resistors with Continuity. But once that's set, that's set.

Beyond that, sure, we change things if it sounds like butt during development. And I like that term a lot better than "voicing." De-ass-ifying is a more accurate description of what we do.

If by tweaking a resistor you get different levels of tube-ness, how possible would it be to offer a switch that cycles through different resistor value to tone the tube-ness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back