Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 29, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #49,831 of 148,976
Even though I’m slightly bummed I can’t upgrade my Bifrost Uber to the latest version, I just realized I’ve owned it for over 5 years now and it’s still in a daily use. The $100 discount for old owners is a great move, and I’m happy to say I put an order for Bifrost 2 - in silver, of course.

Now I can continue using the Uberfrost with my TV without a break.

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #49,832 of 148,976
Phase inversion is a useful control under some circumstances and for some systems.
In essence what it does is reverse the polarity of the generated pressure wave from the drivers so that when a kick drum is initially struck, the re-created pressure wave is actually positive and not negative.

The ear can distinguish the differences between a positive vs. negative pressure wave when musical instruments are being played.

Bass is where I hear the greatest benefit from use of this control, in that the bass response is enhanced and extended to lower frequencies, assuming of course the track has those frequencies to begin with AND the system is capable of delivering these lower frequencies.
But all sources of sound (vocals, instruments etc.) will respond to the proper absolute system phase, but these changes are even more subtle and can take considerable training/calibration in order to hear them.

Overall though I consider the ability to change the absolute phase of the signal a 'must have' feature, so much so that I have added a data field into Media Center devoted to the absolute phase for each track I listen to.
And granted for some tracks it doesn't seem to make any difference, one way or the other, but for other tracks having the deep rumble of subsonic bass present as well as the increase in the leading edge dynamic impact of every instrument, even for instruments such as piccolo's, and all tied into the music, is most gratifying.
So getting all this dialed in can result a most satisfying and delightful experience.

And the ability to hear and feel this degree of bass is MUCH more discernible on HP's than speakers, that is unless you have WAY more $$$$$$$$$$ than ¢'s, and even then it's often hit or miss if you can actually get speakers to re-produce true musical bass down to 20Hz and below.

JJ

great post @johnjen !!

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #49,833 of 148,976
Throwing in my two cents regarding volume pots on dedicated DACs. No, no, please no. That's a hard no. Keep the volume control in the preamp or the amp. I hate fiddling with multiple volume pots in a chain. If you need one box, get a DAC/Amp combo. I don't mind the addition of a remote with the new Bifrost at all. I likely won't use it much but it's nice to have. And kudos on the suggestion to develop a Schiit universal remote. That's an excellent idea.

Aug 29, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #49,837 of 148,976
@Jason Stoddard hey Jason, the old Bifrost had a NOS mode for frequencies higher than 176-192khz (I think). I don't see anything in the Bifrost 2 specs that shows this has a NOS mode, so I assume everything will be passed thru the comboburrito filter regardless of bit/frequency?

Bifrost 2 is 8X oversampling, so no NOS mode.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 29, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #49,838 of 148,976
It still has a light, it just shines on the inside.
...and NOW, I'm humming, There's A Light (over at the Frankenstein's Place) from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Damn you, @Gazny :ksc75smile:

...sing along...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #49,839 of 148,976
Hey Jason, kudos to you, Mike and the entire Schiit team for Asgard 3, Bifrost 2 and all the other Schiit. The specs for Bifrost 2 don't list what kind of analog stage it has. Could you add that?

Bifrost 2 is 8X oversampling, so no NOS mode.

Good to know! So that's exactly like Gumby and Yggy.:thumbsup:

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #49,841 of 148,976
Hey Jason, kudos to you, Mike and the entire Schiit team for Asgard 3, Bifrost 2 and all the other Schiit. The specs for Bifrost 2 don't list what kind of analog stage it has. Could you add that?

Fixed!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #49,842 of 148,976
@Jason Stoddard Seems like your article for Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 in About section is future dated September 28th.
Capture+_2019-08-29-08-13-19.png

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #49,844 of 148,976
Oh yea I guess it wouldn’t be Bimby anymore :)

I like the sound of Bamby (Bifrost Automomy Multibit) but Bamu would be more accurate (Bifrost Autonomy Multibit Unison). Maybe someone else has a better acronym, have to see what catches on. Does Schiit have an in house nickname for Bifrost 2?

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #49,845 of 148,976
These both sound great. And for me, absence of a front-panel light on Asgard 3 is a feature rather than a deficiency.
The main reason it will be an (admittedly minor) issue for me is that I plan on stacking my Lyr 2 on top of it, so I won't be able to see any light coming from its top.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I just like seeing those little white LEDs shining in the darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back