Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 28, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #49,801 of 148,579
2019, Chapter 11:

And mentioning black, you’ll notice that Asgard 3 is available in black from the get-go. It’s also using new black screws on the black chassis, so It looks better, too.

Aside: yep, it gets a screw-on top to save costs. It also gets no front LED, only an internal LED that shines up through the top perf. We’ve tried to take cost out wherever it doesn’t matter. Even then, don’t be surprised if we can’t hold $199 for long.

Aside to the aside: don’t be surprised if we play around with colors a bit as we try to simplify the color choices. What do you think about a graphite metallic top and a black bottom as the only color scheme?

I really, really hope you enjoy it!

Silver should always be a choice.
It was and shall always be the "proper" color for stereo (my age is showing).
And the new stuff must match the old.
IMHO

I am just astounded.
You and Mike need to keep having fun.

Great teammates help too.
Naomi and Alex, how wonderful are they.

More silver in my future and an upgrade or two :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #49,802 of 148,579
With Bifrost 2 now out, why would someone buy a Gumby? Where does the Gumby pull ahead of the Bifrost 2?

From what I can tell so far, gumby offers:
- discrete analog stage (not "fake balanced" op-amp based)
- 4x AD5781BRUZ (vs 2x AD5781ARUZ...still need to look up exact part feature difference)
- full-width form factor
- not sure how the PSUs compare

I'm hoping Unison will be available in new Gumby's, not just as an upgrade in Jan.

From the new chapter, it doesnt sound like a "Gumby 2" is even on the horizon, until they get a feel for how Bifrost 2's modular architecture sells. I dont think I am patient enough to wait for that...will probably pull the trigger for gumby after the Unison general release!

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #49,803 of 148,579
Hi Jason,

Do you know the height (including feet) of the new Asgard and Bifrost? The specs page says 2" but doesn't specify a precision on that number or if it includes the feet. I'd love to stack the two of them beneath my computer monitor but I only have 3 7/8" clearance.

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #49,804 of 148,579
I'm hoping for an Asgard upgrade with cards like jot. The way he's been talking, I'll bet a future Asgard won't be fully class A anymore, but I'd be interested in a product like that in that price range. Less expensive than a jotunheim, single ended only.

I'm pretty proud of myself for guessing correctly on Asgard 3. Now to get one ordered. Soon.

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #49,805 of 148,579
With Bifrost 2 now out, why would someone buy a Gumby? Where does the Gumby pull ahead of the Bifrost 2?

This is also not particularly obvious to me, but some thoughts:

- Mike called it "cheap balanced" for a reason -- the Gumby board is noticeably larger than the Bifrost 2's, so that loss of real estate, I would imagine, is not entirely inconsequential, leading to...
- One of the things I was curious about, and would like to see Jason answer, is whether the Bifrost 2 retains the Analog Devices op-amp output stage of the Bifrost 1's Multibit board, or whether they returned to a discrete output stage. Visually it looks like it still has the AD op-amps on it, so my guess is no, but the discrete output stages on the Gumby boards would remain a slight advantage in that case vs. the Bifrost 2.
- The Gumby has two transformers, although how that might be mitigated vs. the beefier Bifrost 2's supply, I'm not sure.

edit: looks like another user answered this more eloquently than myself upthread already - forgot about the 4 x AD5781's in the Gumby.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #49,807 of 148,579
Being a Quad fan for over 30 years, my gear was all Quad:: 44 pre amp, 405-2 and 520F current dumping power amp and the Quad ESL-63 electrostatic loudspeakers which I had completely serviced and revised. A Technics SL 1000 with EMT arm and Denon 103r, a Pioneer CT95 cassette deck, Braun TG 1000 tape recorder was among the other analogue stuff. First step to digitize, I bought a RME IAO sound card with AES and SPDIF output for my PC. Having read so much about the bad sound of PC USB for audio, I thought that had to be my first step.

-Snip-

A set of Vidars was introducedto drive the Quad ESL-63 speakers
Bought a Loki Mini to see if that could replace the Dirac room correction software
Bought the OG Freya
Added tubes and LISST for the Freya
Bought a Magni3 just for fun.

How would you characterize the Vidars compared to the Quad 405-II’s? I have one with a single dead channel and I’m trying to decide whether to get it serviced or let it go.

The reason I ask: my speakers are Totem Acoustic Mani-2 Signatures and they’re a tough drive. Stand mounts that go down to 26 Hz, they have a nominal load of 4 ohms, but they drop below 2 ohms at certain frequencies. The owner’s manual recommends using a power amp rated between 200 and 400 watts...!

I’m using a Meitner STR-55 right now, which although it’s rated 50W into 8 ohms, is also rated to swing 10 amps, and seems to control the Mani-2s nicely. I get good bass (although I don’t listen to a lot of organ music or EDM, the likes of Jaco Pastorius or Flea sound pretty damn good).

I’m trying to decide whether the Quad’s Current Dumping (and nominal 100W rating) would be better enough than the Floating Charge of the Meitners to make the repair bill worth it, or if I should consider Vidars instead (or, god help me, as well - this hobby can be evil and expensive...).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #49,808 of 148,579
So far, my only grip about the Asgard 3 is the missing front LED.

Literally every amp you've ever made has had one, and they serve a real function.

I think its pretty lame that you decided to nix it on the Asgard 3.
Just to show I still got love for you and your sometimes head-scratching design choices.

Asgard 3 ordered! :L3000:

giphy21.gif

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #49,810 of 148,579
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #49,811 of 148,579
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #49,812 of 148,579
It was cool to read all the love for the Jot. I have a Jot on my nightstand for my main headphone rig and have been thinking of replacing it with several different options, including the Mjolnir 2. Maybe I should be happy with what I have, the Jot certainly sounds very good. I figured Mjolnir 2 would be an "upgrade" and it would be sort of fun to "roll tubes" I guess I'll think about it.

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #49,814 of 148,579
The bigger chassis alone has its benefits, usually in the form of permitting much more robust power supply design. You can't fit lots of chokes and such into those tiny form factors after all.

You can fit a bigger/better pot that avoids scratchiness, too.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #49,815 of 148,579
I haven't been able to follow schiit news as closely as I would appreciate it if someone can just clarify for me:

The Unison USB upgrade will be a hardware or software/firmware upgrade? If it's the former, I assume the various Modis will not be available? And what if it's the latter?

And I'll also join the call for a higher end Mani, specifically for MC carts. I have a Mani now, using it for both MM and MC carts, and I read various accounts online that Mani is great for MM but aren't the best for MC. I haven't had the time nor budget to buy various phono stages to compare with the Mani, but if Schiit were to ever release a higher end phono, I'll trust them enough to just snap it up on the spot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back