Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #49,456 of 148,552
The only cabling in my house that I use is the AC power wiring. Networking cable I just run what I need and ignore what is in the wall or use wireless. I tried to use some of the installed coax and the latency was ridiculous- must be seventeen splices and stupid long runs to get from one room to the next in the OEM wiring.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #49,457 of 148,552
Our house is not yet 4 years old, was the gold medal house in the local parade of homes, and yet the cabling is a nightmare. I still haven't found where it all is, or where it is all supposed to come together. I have had a couple of quotes that are eyewatering, so for now we are on an Eero mesh which works very well. It's only when I start moving g lots of data around that I tera my hair out.

Cheers........
I looked at Eero but decided on Plume. I have a Plume Pod next to my system and have 2' of CAT5 running between the Pod and Allo Digione. Works perfect. Never a dropout on Tidal, even with Apple TV in use in other rooms.

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #49,461 of 148,552
How do you like the Mjolnir? I prefer tubes and have nearly run out of other choices from Schiit. Do you hear much difference when you roll tubes or have you not tried?

Update re the Brimar CV4033, early 60's blackplate from TubeMonger (topic of Valhalla 2 tube rolling): a real winner!

These were bright/brash right out of the box, but have settled and mellowed really nicely over the first 20-30 hours.

They do sound even better in Valhalla 2, but in Mjolnir 2 are entirely competent, quiet and transparent, musical without compromising detail and timbre, and without any suggestion of dynamic compression.

An expensive ($150) experiment, but work so well with Ananda and Sundara that I'm thinking I may be just about done.

Ananda has the better soundstage, but Sundara stays lush and beautiful, and either driven balanced with the CV4033 has no treble issues that I can hear, and both remain very, very fast.

Given that these bottles are nearly as old as me, color me impressed. SE, Mjolnir now opens up my HD600 & DT1990 nearly as well as Valhalla 2, and with better imaging.

Overall, I think the Brimar CV4033 can honestly be considered an upgrade for Mjolnir 2, and the combo makes Ananda an even better all-rounder than it already is. All I hear now is music.

My evaluation tracks included:

Zazen/Enlightenment-Kundalini
John Kaizan Neptune/Tokyosphere-Jungle Trail
Andy Narell/The Hammer-Brontosaurus Ballet
Fourplay/Elixer-Elixer
Lee Ritenour/Earth Run-The Sauce
Van Halen/OU812-Black and Blue
Atomship/The Crash of '47-Plastic People
Big Wreck/Albatross-You Caught My Eye
Mickey Hart/Supralingua-Umayeyo
James McMurtry/Live in Aught-Three-Red Dress
Andy McKee/Art of Motion-Keys to the Hovercar

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #49,462 of 148,552
Update re the Brimar CV4033, early 60's blackplate from TubeMonger (topic of Valhalla 2 tube rolling): a real winner!

These were bright/brash right out of the box, but have settled and mellowed really nicely over the first 20-30 hours.

They do sound even better in Valhalla 2, but in Mjolnir 2 are entirely competent, quiet and transparent, musical without compromising detail and timbre, and without any suggestion of dynamic compression.

An expensive ($150) experiment, but work so well with Ananda and Sundara that I'm thinking I may be just about done.

Ananda has the better soundstage, but Sundara stays lush and beautiful, and either driven balanced with the CV4033 has no treble issues that I can hear, and both remain very, very fast.

Given that these bottles are nearly as old as me, color me impressed. SE, Mjolnir now opens up my HD600 & DT1990 nearly as well as Valhalla 2, and with better imaging.

Overall, I think the Brimar CV4033 can honestly be considered an upgrade for Mjolnir 2, and the combo makes Ananda an even better all-rounder than it already is. All I hear now is music.

Fourplay/Elixer-Elixer

Excellent information and I particularly like the listing of test tracks. I am always willing to try new music.

One of my renters ended up leaving town to play drums for James McMurtry when James first started in his career. An easy name to remember because of his famous father, Larry McMurtry (The Last Picture Show and Lonesome Dove).

Of all the tubes I have tried and used, I probably own the least number of Brimars but I know they are highly regarded and generally fetch fairly high prices.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #49,463 of 148,552
Update re the Brimar CV4033, early 60's black plate from TubeMonger (a topic of Valhalla 2 tube rolling): a real winner!

Fourplay/Elixer-Elixer

Thanks for the affirmation of my own findings. I want to mention that I also purchased a pair of Brimar CV 4024 from Vivatubes.com for $59, matched pair. They are identical to the tubes Kevin really likes over at Upscale, and I considered them to be a less expensive set of back-ups for the CV4033 but found them to be remarkably the same--so they are the daily listeners and 4033 are held in reserve.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #49,464 of 148,552
Anyone have any speculation on what Schiit product is going to be refreshed this week?

I'm hoping for a Bifrost refresh myself.

I'm hoping for an Asgard upgrade with cards like jot. The way he's been talking, I'll bet a future Asgard won't be fully class A anymore, but I'd be interested in a product like that in that price range. Less expensive than a jotunheim, single ended only.

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #49,465 of 148,552
Anyone have any speculation on what Schiit product is going to be refreshed this week?

I'm hoping for a Bifrost refresh myself.
Jason said maybe "controversial" -->

Major form factor change on MJ3/Gun style? Not as wide?

Valhalla2*/Bifrost roughly same, but new chassis, and everything else with that chassis style (asgard, etc) asgard tweaked -- Bifrost completely new ΔΣ

USB cards more user accessible or firmwares user updatable?

Gaming/Mic stuff...

Vali3

Sol, dual USB spinner

yggy 768/1536/3xxx+ DSP board / reclock update and w/bypass, 22bit AD57101BRUZ (I'm being silly here :wink: ), seems too soon? gun unison

*Still: I think there's strength in having a few pieces that never change.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #49,467 of 148,552
... http://bit.ly/2P76EqY (turning a poor Adcom into a space heater) it was just laying around anyway....
wrt link: hifiengine.com have schematics and service manual, it would appear those JRC4558 opamps are just for the "auto-on audio sense circuit". :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #49,468 of 148,552
Jason said maybe "controversial" -->

Major form factor change on MJ3/Gun style? Not as wide?

Valhalla2*/Bifrost roughly same, but new chassis, and everything else with that chassis style (asgard, etc) asgard tweaked -- Bifrost completely new ΔΣ

USB cards more user accessible or firmwares user updatable?

Gaming/Mic stuff...

Sol, dual USB spinner

yggy 768/1536/3xxx+ DSP board / reclock update and w/bypass, seems too soon tho? gun unison

*Still: I think there's strength in having a few pieces that never change.

I was hoping the controversial part would maybe be volume control on a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back