Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #49,336 of 148,607
My interest in Schiit began with "Hey, did you hear that Mike Moffatt from Theta Digital is creating a new end-game DAC and it's going to be affordable? And he's partnered with the amp designer from Sumo?"

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #49,337 of 148,607
I moved to a a house with a very different layout and as a result I have also been changing my audio setups in a big way (see sig). I'm all set for the main room speaker system, and for headphone systems (well, not quite, I have too many headphone amps, gotta shed some). Anyway, I'm now starting to look for a smaller speaker system for a smaller office/library room in the new house. I'm tempted by the Aegir for the power amp section, but I don't know much about high efficiency speakers. Room constraints would favor relatively small floor standers that work well close to the front wall. There's enough space for dual mono Aegirs if that's what it takes. As for preamp, will have to think a bit. Sources will be an Oppo BDP-103 (there will be a screen in the room) and a good DAC (either the Metrum Onyx I have around, or a Schiit DAC if I decide to replace the Onyx). I'm not in a hurry. Suggestions very welcome.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #49,338 of 148,607
My interest in Schiit began with "Hey, did you hear that Mike Moffatt from Theta Digital is creating a new end-game DAC and it's going to be affordable? And he's partnered with the amp designer from Sumo?"

Ditto. Serious credentials for both intrigued me, and the focus on affordable *and* quality gear. Prior to Schiit, I felt priced out of most higher end audio gear.

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #49,339 of 148,607
Hey all,

Interesting perspectives on how everyone found us! Thanks for the anecdotes, and please continue. I don't want to interrupt too much, because this is fascinating.

That said, here's a quick update, as we are heading into a time of many product releases. As usual, they are all kinda lumped on top of each other, so please accept my apologies for that. It's interesting how a great schedule can be borked by just a few slips...at the parts distributor, at the stamper, at the boardhouse. That said, what you'll be seeing soon will be grouped into three different categories:

1. Traditional products. We'll have a couple of things out for you soon that won't be too big of a surprise in terms of type of products, but you may be surprised by the specific features.
2. Gaming products. We have a couple of gaming products coming out soon. As in, products that have microphone input, as well as headphone output (plus analog in, pre out, etc.) You'll probably see them at RMAF, but they may not be shipping for a couple of weeks after that.
3. Turntable product. Sol should be shipping, or at least orderable, at RMAF. We have actually started production! Yes, seriously. No, I have not been abducted by Russian agents/aliens.

Oh, and the Jotunheim R (formerly Weldenheim) is now outputting 13A at clipping and should be seen in public (in prototype form) soon. It still needs another round of prototyping before it becomes a real product, as I need to add thermal and overcorrect protection--super critical on something like this. But the chances of it becoming an actual product are rather high.

Hopefully I can start launching the traditional products next week. If so, you'll get a chapter on one of them. If not, I'll talk about Amazon.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I figured I'd let you know that I'm not dead...just busy.

All the best,
Jason

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 15, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #49,340 of 148,607
I first heard about Schiit when I stumbled upon a thread here at Headfi talking about the pre-order of the first Asgard.

I went for it and have been a fan boy ever since. It was my first headphone amp of any kind for my first real headphone the HD600's that I got on Ebay used for $100 :)

That must have been 10 years ago??? I still have my Asgard, must have been made in one of the first lots. I don't use it any more but it has sentimental value for me so I have kept it.

Can't wait for what is in store in the future!

Personal request is a tube phono :)

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #49,342 of 148,607
I first heard about Schiit reading an article by Steve G. aka the Audiophiliac on CNet. I've been a CNet reader for it seems like 20 years.

Always enjoy hearing Steve's take, but you almost never here him say much negative about something so I take his opinions as a start but triangulate with other sources.

BREAK BREAK

Grado has the Schiit/Grado bundles live if any one is interested:

https://www.4ourears.net/category_s/1515.htm

They also include a month of Qobuz and a free digital album.

The bundles can have an A&K DAP added as well. (I've never tried A&K, a little too expensive when I already have an iPhone).

The bundles are actually pretty cool, would make good Xmas gifts for potential new audiophiles etc.

I think I mentioned before, but I sent a friend (my Best Man at my wedding) of mine a pair of SR80Es, Modi 3, Magni 3, and some CablesforLess cables in a bundle I put together myself.

Who says you can't have a good USA made headphone system (DAC, AMP, Phones) for cheap?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #49,345 of 148,607
I first heard about Schiit from a brief blurb in The Absolute Sound about the Bifrost, shortly after its release. The article mentioned Jason and Mike and their backgrounds plus the fact that the Bifrost was upgradeable. That was good enough for me.

I upgraded the Bifrost to the Uber version when it became available. I upgraded myself to the Gumby following its release and gave the Bifrost to a buddy who upgraded it to multibit. We both have several other items of Schiit now as well.

JC

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #49,346 of 148,607
Good to see EITR in stock again at Schiit Europe ... ordered ... final production run. Best DDC ever produced IMO.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #49,348 of 148,607
Hey all,

Interesting perspectives on how everyone found us! Thanks for the anecdotes, and please continue. I don't want to interrupt too much, because this is fascinating.

That said, here's a quick update, as we are heading into a time of many product releases. As usual, they are all kinda lumped on top of each other, so please accept my apologies for that. It's interesting how a great schedule can be borked by just a few slips...at the parts distributor, at the stamper, at the boardhouse. That said, what you'll be seeing soon will be grouped into three different categories:

1. Traditional products. We'll have a couple of things out for you soon that won't be too big of a surprise in terms of type of products, but you may be surprised by the specific features.
2. Gaming products. We have a couple of gaming products coming out soon. As in, products that have microphone input, as well as headphone output (plus analog in, pre out, etc.) You'll probably see them at RMAF, but they may not be shipping for a couple of weeks after that.
3. Turntable product. Sol should be shipping, or at least orderable, at RMAF. We have actually started production! Yes, seriously. No, I have not been abducted by Russian agents/aliens.

Oh, and the Jotunheim R (formerly Weldenheim) is now outputting 13A at clipping and should be seen in public (in prototype form) soon. It still needs another round of prototyping before it becomes a real product, as I need to add thermal and overcorrect protection--super critical on something like this. But the chances of it becoming an actual product are rather high.

Hopefully I can start launching the traditional products next week. If so, you'll get a chapter on one of them. If not, I'll talk about Amazon.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I figured I'd let you know that I'm not dead...just busy.

All the best,
Jason

Coming to you in the future. The OASIS. Audio powered by Schiit.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #49,349 of 148,607
I stumbled on this blog when our then one-year-old daughter was in the hospital on and off for three weeks with pneumonia and RSV. I read the entirety of it on my phone, during sleepless nights while making sure the oxygen mask didn't fall off of our daughter when she was sleeping (she refused to keep the tubes taped to her face). I bought a Schiit Fulla during that time, and quickly moved up to a Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 stack.

Confession: I am currently Schiitless in terms of amps. I've sold the Magni 2 and the Vali 2 I bought later. But I still enjoy my pair of Modi Multibits, two Manis, and Loki Mini.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #49,350 of 148,607
I first caught wind of the smell of Schiit here on Head Fi. I relocated, space was at premium, and I needed to get my first set of "real" headphones and some supporting gear.

I read this thread and Mike's thread from post 1 forward. I wanted to support a cool company and try out the gear. I'm thrilled with all the gear, and I've met some wonderful Schiitheads both virtually and IRL. I'd day that's a pretty great side benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back