Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #49,036 of 148,510
Not that I plan to give up my LPs...

If someone had suggested 10 years ago that I give up my LP's, I would have kicked them out of the house and probably taken out a restraining order on them. Now there's Tidal, I'm 10 years older, 10 years lazier, and while I still have no plans of ditching my LP's, they are getting less and less play time even though there are a good number that are audibly superior to any existing digital version.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #49,038 of 148,510
If someone had suggested 10 years ago that I give up my LP's, I would have kicked them out of the house and probably taken out a restraining order on them. Now there's Tidal, I'm 10 years older, 10 years lazier, and while I still have no plans of ditching my LP's, they are getting less and less play time even though there are a good number that are audibly superior to any existing digital version.

I was listening to Tidal last night and either it is getting better or I stumbled upon a set of tubes that sound magical in the Freya. Either that or the GE rectifier tubes @bcowen sent me finally achieved greatness.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #49,039 of 148,510
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #49,040 of 148,510
Although anything is possible, this is not likely one of them. :slight_smile:

I did use the Marilyn Manson trick, I listened to him prior to putting on other music and suddenly everything else sounded so good!!!

It is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, if feels so good when you stop. :)

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #49,043 of 148,510
What GE tube is in your photo @sam6550a ? I hope that is a power tube.
If you have a good way to listen to single 6sn7's I should send you some to listen to after they get back from Schiit. I am trying to put together some of the better ones without spending more than say $150 per tube.
It is a GE 6550A beam power tube, NOS, a 6550 on mild steroids, Pd is 42W vs 35W, Pg2 is 8W vs 5W. Hard to find for a reasonable price. I can certainly listen to single 6SN7 tubes, as I have a Gen 1 Saga that I use for just that purpose. The pairs and quads I roll in a Gen 1 Freya. I certainly appreciate you thinking of my participation in your 6SN7 adventure.

I understand that you have a Freya +, have you [or someone you trust] ever compared it to the Gen 1 Freya? I have not found a good published comparison to date. All in due time.

Aug 7, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #49,045 of 148,510
So no Hank Williams or Hank Williams Jr?

Also

Gunfighter Ballads by Marty Robbins? Missing out.
Hurts more than a dentist's drill.

Aug 7, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #49,046 of 148,510
Well, now.

Reference my post - Post #48860

This may explain the design:
a&P.jpeg

Still ... no, just no

Aug 7, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #49,047 of 148,510
It is a GE 6550A beam power tube, NOS, a 6550 on mild steroids, Pd is 42W vs 35W, Pg2 is 8W vs 5W. Hard to find for a reasonable price. I can certainly listen to single 6SN7 tubes, as I have a Gen 1 Saga that I use for just that purpose. The pairs and quads I roll in a Gen 1 Freya. I certainly appreciate you thinking of my participation in your 6SN7 adventure.

I am more familiar with 6080's and the tube did not look like one to me and I confess I have not used a 6550 before.

I understand that you have a Freya +, have you [or someone you trust] ever compared it to the Gen 1 Freya? I have not found a good published comparison to date. All in due time.

I owned an earlier Freya and now have a Freya +, I only got to A/B them for a couple hours one evening and IMHO the + is certainly an improvement. I prefer the volume pot upgrade to the previous version as well as a bit less background noise although you really have to AB them to hear much difference. This will sound pretty subjective but I tend to notice differences in tubes more in the + than the older model Freya. Some amps and devices seem to lend themselves to tube rolling more, and the + is that way for me. Do you hear a lot of difference in tubes in the Gen 1 Saga? Just curious, with the Freya I doubt I will own one but I may get a Lyr 3 sometime.

I will send the 6sn7 singles on to you when Jason sends them back to me or if he is agreeable he can send them on to you directly. There are colored dots on the top labeled 1-8 that are easily replaced and are mixed up before the next person receives the tubes so it will be a blind test for you. I am hoping you are a bit like @bcowen and can hear and identify a Sylvania compared to a Tung Sol or whatever lol, I make no such claims so I am impressed by those who can. A couple of the tubes are diamonds in the rough.

Aug 7, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #49,048 of 148,510
Well, now.

Reference my post - Post #48860

This may explain the design:

Still ... no, just no

I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would make a combination headphone stand and amp as one unit.coaster rack.jpg

This is one of a kind, and probably for a good reason. A Schiit coaster amp mounted in a headphone stand. The two little LED's look like glowing eyes if the room is dark enough. I believe this was a request, I am not sure I came up with the idea but anything is possible and there are only so many ways to mount a round circuit board.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #49,050 of 148,510
To me, twangy country music is the hammer to my head. But like all things to each his own. :)

I am not sure if this is a good place for music recommendations, I do not listen to a lot of country and this is a bit more like folk in places. An older album, and a two time Grammy winner. The back up musicians on this album are amazing. Nanci is joined by or backed by Bob Dylan, John Prine, Arlo Guthrie, Guy Clark, Alison Krauss, Chet Atkins, Leo Kotke, etc.

512K46tMHbL._SX355_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back