Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #49,021 of 148,561
You will probably get that freaking Lyr and it will be one of a kind since no one else wants to spend a fortune for the tubes for it.

I decided to go back and watch the Soprano's again and saw something that reminded me of @bcowen, a huge Marilyn Manson fan. Now mind you this is a fictional show and Anthony is probably 12 years old here or less so the Manson adoration is probably not real, as it is in Mr Cowen's case. :ksc75smile:

I grew up in New Jersey. The Sopranos weren't a drama. That show was a phuckin' documentary.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #49,022 of 148,561
Amazon’s shipping times are hardly anything to write home about, at least in Europe. I bought a computer monitor a month ago, and the day before it was supposed to arrive they cancelled my order without any notification. A week ago I re-ordered the monitor with express shipping, which costs me 60€, and I still haven’t received information about when they’re going to ship it to me. The monitor is in stock, send by Amazon warehouse, and the customer service is useless.

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #49,024 of 148,561
Yup! I grew up in North New Jersey and experienced it firsthand.

Serious stuff. Sam I hope all is well with you, I have a lot of projects in the works and less and less time to spend on them.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #49,027 of 148,561
Yes Tom, the older we get, the faster time seems to pass. Also, gravity is not a constant, it increases as you age!

What GE tube is in your photo @sam6550a ? I hope that is a power tube.
If you have a good way to listen to single 6sn7's I should send you some to listen to after they get back from Schiit. I am trying to put together some of the better ones without spending more than say $150 per tube.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #49,028 of 148,561
Yes Tom, the older we get, the faster time seems to pass. Also, gravity is not a constant, it increases as you age!

That is an absolute truism.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #49,029 of 148,561

This reminds me of a funny (to me) presentation I saw at an event called BAHFest (Bad Ad Hoc Festival). Zach Weinersmith (yes, his real name. well, the name he and his wife willingly chose at marriage when the merged their names Weiner and Smith) who makes the SMBC webcomic made this one as a joke. It turned into a real event that has been going on for a few years. The premise is you present "well" argued and reasons hypotheses that are completely outlandish. One I saw was about how when you get older time goes faster because you are actually causing relativistic time dilation. Here is the video for that presentation.

Edit: This does poke fun of the older generations, so I apologize if that upsets people. There are other BAHFest presentations that are worth watching too.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #49,030 of 148,561
Was just reading that there may be actual evidence for the existence of a "spiritual" gene. That there may indeed be a segment of our DNA that, instead of setting our eye color, predisposes us to be religious, drives us to search for divinity. Generally, I treat Science with skepticism. I regard Evolution as a nice theory (and the archetype of 19th century Euro intellectual hubris) but far from proven. And don't get me started on climate change. But a religious gene does seem plausible, given that we can see the expected results displayed around the world every day.

People do seem to have the urge to believe in something beyond themselves. Many seek divinity. And when they can't find something suitable on the rack, as it were, they create divinity. Which helps explain so much of audiophile behavior. (You just knew I was going to get to the point eventually, didn't you?) Some people even make a religion of Science. Again, see audiophiles. And it doesn't even have to be real science. (Both audiophiles and climate change.)

So when someone posts that science knows everything there is to know about electricity flowing through a wire, my immediate response is I Doubt It. Another intriguing bit of science is String Theory. (I view string theory as proof that physicists aren't the socially awkward nebbishes they pretend, but anarchic pranksters. They float increasingly fantastical theories, searching for the one which is so outrageous that the public will rise up en masse and call BS! Hasn't happened yet, which says a lot about the gullibility of the public. But I digress.) If there is anything to string theory, it means that we only understand about .001% as much about reality as we like to think we do. Including such seemingly common phenomena as current flowing through wire.

So what does this have to do with the sound of your Schiit Stack? Probably not a whole heck of a lot, at least at the practical level. But I suspect there is great scope for even better music appreciation gear out there in all the science yet to be discovered. Along with other minor things like cleansing the environment and ending hunger. To find that new knowledge, we have to keep looking and not take things for granted. Kinda like Jason does with all his new amp circuits (note the desperate attempt to get somewhere near back On Topic.) Not that I plan to give up my LPs...

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #49,032 of 148,561
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #49,033 of 148,561
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #49,034 of 148,561
Was just reading that there may be actual evidence for the existence of a "spiritual" gene. That there may indeed be a segment of our DNA that, instead of setting our eye color, predisposes us to be religious, drives us to search for divinity. Generally, I treat Science with skepticism. I regard Evolution as a nice theory (and the archetype of 19th century Euro intellectual hubris) but far from proven. And don't get me started on climate change. But a religious gene does seem plausible, given that we can see the expected results displayed around the world every day.

People do seem to have the urge to believe in something beyond themselves. Many seek divinity. And when they can't find something suitable on the rack, as it were, they create divinity. Which helps explain so much of audiophile behavior. (You just knew I was going to get to the point eventually, didn't you?) Some people even make a religion of Science. Again, see audiophiles. And it doesn't even have to be real science. (Both audiophiles and climate change.)

So when someone posts that science knows everything there is to know about electricity flowing through a wire, my immediate response is I Doubt It. Another intriguing bit of science is String Theory. (I view string theory as proof that physicists aren't the socially awkward nebbishes they pretend, but anarchic pranksters. They float increasingly fantastical theories, searching for the one which is so outrageous that the public will rise up en masse and call BS! Hasn't happened yet, which says a lot about the gullibility of the public. But I digress.) If there is anything to string theory, it means that we only understand about .001% as much about reality as we like to think we do. Including such seemingly common phenomena as current flowing through wire.

So what does this have to do with the sound of your Schiit Stack? Probably not a whole heck of a lot, at least at the practical level. But I suspect there is great scope for even better music appreciation gear out there in all the science yet to be discovered. Along with other minor things like cleansing the environment and ending hunger. To find that new knowledge, we have to keep looking and not take things for granted. Kinda like Jason does with all his new amp circuits (note the desperate attempt to get somewhere near back On Topic.) Not that I plan to give up my LPs...

Well this ought to generate lots of discussion today.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #49,035 of 148,561
From what I can see it looks like a 6550, but that would be too weird with Sam's moniker. :smile::smile:
I was thinking 6550 myself but I figured the mention of GE would get you involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back