Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #48,646 of 148,515
And some cosmetics....

IMG_20190729_145345.jpg

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #48,648 of 148,515
Jul 29, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #48,650 of 148,515
Very clever design, Pietro.

I originally thought the block was a box with female RCA jacks. Your design has eliminated many extra (and potentially expensive) connection points.

Thank you again for sharing!
I recommend making one yourself.
It's very easy to do for a great sonic reward.

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #48,651 of 148,515
@Jason Stoddard
There are a few bad links on the slide show of your website's intro page.
The links for Ragnarok and Freya links are incorrect.
It's because the links look like this https://www.schiit.comhttps//www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-5
Just mentioning, so you can correct.

Enjoy my Schiit stack every day. Thanks for a lot of new musical enjoyment.

Thanks for the heads-up. These are now fixed.

I should have a new chapter for you this week...no new product yet, but new adventures in the Amazon jungle and beyond...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 29, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #48,652 of 148,515
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #48,653 of 148,515
The Cardas Nautilus Power Strip with its "1 kilogram pure copper Earth plate" also comes to mind.
And iFi has the GroundHog / GroundHog+ to ground devices in various ways
Thanks for the links, @Alcophone . Eeek. Too rich for my blood.
There are many ways to set up a star ground for an audio system and they don’t require large blocks of metal. Google.
Solid 10-4, @Ableza . Mister Tinin's creation had a steampunk or diesel-punk asthetic that I like. When/if a ground-hum flares up in my listening nook, I'll do some Google-Fu. :ksc75smile: "star ground". Hmmm....
I had no schematics. It was just common sense.
I'll post more pictures later.
I had a supervisor muse to me once, "common sense is the least common of the senses".

What can I say? I'm an Italian.
Total cost of the project was less than $40.......{{{{{snip}}}}}.....The positive feedback surprises me a bit........{{{{{snip}.......I'm used to people here who immediately destroy this kind of ideas because it's "out" of the engineers thinking box......{{{{snip}}}}}....I forgot: The steel racks are grounded too.
Heh, a buddy of mine is a South African system's (?) engineer. He's a gloriously odd duck, and reminds me how to do more with less. He gets a ticket into our future woodlot when the Canadian SHTF.... :)
And some cosmetics....

They're red for a reason.
Red drains much faster than any other colour.
...don't even start with me. I teach optics and basic electric circuits to high school students. There's all kinds of odd misconceptions out there!
As everyone knows....
...that made me snort....
Thank you for the details. Nice work!
I second that. It takes courage to do show-and-tell on these streams (99% of us are decent human beings. 1% asshats). @Pietro Cozzi Tinin ... I know you're a tough old bird. But thanks, eh. :flag_ca:

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #48,654 of 148,515
Solid 10-4, @Ableza . Mister Tinin's creation had a steampunk or diesel-punk asthetic that I like. When/if a ground-hum flares up in my listening nook, I'll do some Google-Fu. :ksc75smile: "star ground". Hmmm....
Steam Punk. Dr. Cozzi Tinin likes that very much. (my surname is a double. remember I am a robber baron)... tutututut

Aside: The aluminium block weighs 3kg.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #48,656 of 148,515
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #48,657 of 148,515
Enjoyed this rush steam punk tour a while ago.

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #48,659 of 148,515
tubes in pvc.jpg Here is something less artful I recently did. This was part of a blind challenge I made up for a group of friends. These are 6sn7 or equivalent tubes of different manufacture, encased so they cannot be recognized, even sealed with sealing wax. All have tube extensions built in so nothing on the actual tube is visible. One gentleman from here was quite accurate recognizing the various makes of tubes by sound. There are a few Russian tubes but mostly those made by companies like Sylvania, GE, Westinghouse, Ken-Rad, and RCA. Each capsule is vented and no tubes were harmed in this process. Many from the forties and some are considered to be remarkable sounding but not everyone can discern the differences. :smile_phones: You can pay a lot of money for some tubes and scarcity becomes a factor, a person might find the sound remarkable for a lot less money if there are no pre-conceived ideas.

The first tests were conducted in a Lyr 3.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #48,660 of 148,515
Here is something less artful I recently did. This was part of a blind challenge I made up for a group of friends. These are 6sn7 or equivalent tubes of different manufacture, encased so they cannot be recognized, even sealed with sealing wax. All have tube extensions built in so nothing on the actual tube is visible. One gentleman from here was quite accurate recognizing the various makes of tubes by sound. There are a few Russian tubes but mostly those made by companies like Sylvania, GE, Westinghouse, Ken-Rad, and RCA. Each capsule is vented and no tubes were harmed in this process. Many from the forties and some are considered to be remarkable sounding but not everyone can discern the differences. :smile_phones: You can pay a lot of money for some tubes and scarcity becomes a factor, a person might find the sound remarkable for a lot less money if there are no pre-conceived ideas.

The first tests were conducted in a Lyr 3.
They look like cigars but probably burn a lot longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back