Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #48,016 of 148,553
I have a pair of Omen Dirty Weekends and I really enjoy them. The Zu folks are great and can always be counted on for playing great music at audio shows. I also have a Modi Multibit and a Saga but I'm planning to get an Aegir - hopefully soon. Let us know how the Vidar works with the DW!

Yeah I'm hoping the Vidar treats them well, I know the Vidar brought out the bass in my old wharfedales better then the JVC. Bass control on Vidar is awesome. Radio Ga Ga by queen has some really fast bass sections that can sound muddled, but Vidar really made it sound tight and fast at home. Vidar Modi Multibit, and saga with a foton all accentuate the bass. Looking forward to hearing it come through on some new speakers.

I went extra fancy on my dirty weekend order. Clarity cap upgrades, and American Walnut veneer and finish. My wife came on board to the idea of nice wood stain as opposed to the basic jet black Hickory. If these end up being speakers I own and use for the next 20 years, I might as well get the finish I want. I also think the silver Schiit looks great against a rich wood finish.

Also, a 60 day return policy, where they pay return shipping, and refund everything except the original shipping fee is pretty incredible.

Super excited to have it all put together in a month or two.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #48,017 of 148,553
But what if you're listening to noise rock. Wouldn't this be an undesired result? :wink:
Intentional noise is music. :)

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #48,018 of 148,553
A wise man once said, "Continually worrying about the Next Big Thing leaves you empty handed."
Now that makes me wonder what that first big thing, that he's not having in his hands, is, because most men are left standing with their bananas in their hands.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #48,019 of 148,553
94C74630-08FF-41B5-975D-719CE247FE42.jpeg
Intentional noise is music. :)
https://harshnoisewally.tumblr.com/

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #48,020 of 148,553
Perfect. The lack of bass is actually good thing for me because my wife hears when I listen from another room and asks me to reduce the volume. Extra mids can improve the sound at the max volume that is still not bothering others. Freya S should be a perfect match.
But I'm still waiting for Rag 2 reviews for better picture.
Please share how the pairing of Freya S and Aegir is when you get them. That is my intended next step (upgrade Saga to Freya S)

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #48,021 of 148,553
@Jason Stoddard - A minor wording issue with the Saga S/+ and Freya S/+ Spec pages. The Saga ones state:

Inputs: 5 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote
Outputs: 2 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote

Given what "selectable via front switch or remote" means for the inputs, it makes it sound like you can select which pair of RCA outputs you want running rather than you can select whether it is passive or buffered output.

The Freya pages also state that the outputs can be selectable via front switch or remote.

Perhaps for the Sagas, it could say something like
"Outputs: 2 RCA pairs, both active while preamp is on
Passive or Active stages selectable via front switch or remote"

And the Freya S having "Gain stages selectable via front switch or remote" and Freya + having "JFET and Tube Stages selectable via front switch or remote".

I apologize if this has been brought up before; I did search this thread of "selectable via front switch or remote" and found nothing.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #48,022 of 148,553
It's definitely not completely void of bass, lol. I mean the overall sound feels full to me. Just wish it had a bit more of the fun low-end pep that Vidar had.
Also, when someone is at home I mostly listen for classical music, because it's usually not using much of low end. So nobody hears me. After your posts I guess Aegir should be much better at classical than Vidar, because its main weakness is not in play here.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #48,023 of 148,553
Perfect. The lack of bass is actually good thing for me because my wife hears when I listen from another room and asks me to reduce the volume. Extra mids can improve the sound at the max volume that is still not bothering others. Freya S should be a perfect match.
But I'm still waiting for Rag 2 reviews for better picture.
You should file for divorce pronto.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #48,025 of 148,553
Also, when someone is at home I mostly listen for classical music, because it's usually not using much of low end. So nobody hears me. After your posts I guess Aegir should be much better at classical than Vidar, because its main weakness is not in play here.
Aegir sounds great with classical. One other thing to consider is the efficiency of your speakers. I don't know how well a single Aegir would perform with lower efficiency speakers.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #48,027 of 148,553
Now that's a modern touch. I like it.
It's a momentarily electronic divorce.
It's the same lifestyle hack that has kept me married to the current wife for 25 years. :)

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #48,029 of 148,553
I'm debating buying the yggy a2, but if there's a new dac/streamer coming soon I would regret not waiting ?
Multiple past discussions indicated that Schiit are unwilling to get into the streamer software support mess. As for new DACs, Mike mentioned some new experiments recently on his thread. Whether they'll yield anything, time will tell. And earlier he had talked about the Unison USB board under test, which might bring the USB input of the current Schiit modular DACs to the top of the input choices.

Jul 3, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #48,030 of 148,553
Need some advice. I am in the fortunate situation that the termites ate my house. No joke, but on the bright side: gives me a new floor and electricity in my listening room. Dedicated groups for my amps and dac will make an improvement but to go even further; any recommendation on the circuit breakers to use? I understood that it is best to avoid the automatic ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back