Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 1, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #47,986 of 149,012
Yep. I wonder how a Freya S or Freya + might change the sound, but I've been generally happy with the Saga.

You'll need a balanced output for that second Aegir.

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #47,987 of 149,012
You'll need a balanced output for that second Aegir.
Haha, yes of course once the finances build up once again. However my speakers are 4 ohm and the Aegir specs don't say they can do monoblocks at 4 ohms, so perhaps one Aegir is the only option?

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #47,988 of 149,012
Yep. I wonder how a Freya S or Freya + might change the sound, but I've been generally happy with the Saga.
I’m unhappy with my sound right now. The Saga doesn’t give enough bottom end and punch to the Aegir in my experience (into Tekton Lore OG). Agree that’s the highs and upper mids are really spectacular with the Aegir and Saga combo, but at giant expense of the lower mids through sub bass. I had Vidar before. It was a very nice amp. Some transformer noise, but I think they can fix that; not the most refined in the highs, but amazing PRaT, and punch, worked well with the Saga because Vidar has unbelievable, effortless gain. Kind of regret swapping it for the Aegir. My best guess is that Freya S/Freya + is the solution. An actual gain stage (4x for balanced vs Unity gain on Saga). With that move, I could also get a second Aegir down the line if needed for more power (which I expect might be where I'm heading). Bottom line for me, Aegir is unreal in detail and musicality from the upper mids on up, in my setup, but I’m really feeling the lack of gain in the pre stage isn’t doing me any favors.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #47,989 of 149,012
I'm planning on ordering the Zu Omen Dirty weekends tomorrow. Been talking with Zu quite a bit via email and a few (gasp) phone calls. So far customer service has been top notch. Like awesome. I called today, got voicemail, less then two minutes later the owner, Sean, called me back (caller ID is great). I missed his call, but when I played back the message, the guy gave his cell number in case the main line was busy when I called back.

Being the typical noob that I am, I asked tons of questions. Everyone I dealt with was superb.

Looking forward to running mimby, saga, Vidar with some new speakers. The old wharfedales have served me well the last 20 years, but it's time for an upgrade. For those interested, the Omen Dirty Weekends go up for sale tomorrow at 12 mountain time.

About 3 months ago I bought some of their Libtec speaker cables via their eBay promo account. I know cables are a touchy subject, but just the fit and finish alone was worth the 90ish bucks I paid. The oversized pure copper spades I got fit Vidar amazingly well, and the construction looks very durable. It might be the jump to 11ga cable, or the fresh non oxidized connection, but my 2channel Schiit stack loved the sound improvement they brought to the table. Nice to see two small American manufacturers filling my audio needs.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #47,991 of 149,012
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #47,992 of 149,012
Any more info about this?
I'm debating buying the yggy a2, but if there's a new dac/streamer coming soon I would regret not waiting ?
Last info was release in 2020?

My money is on the Loki Maxi

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #47,993 of 149,012
I'm planning on ordering the Zu Omen Dirty weekends tomorrow. Been talking with Zu quite a bit via email and a few (gasp) phone calls. So far customer service has been top notch. Like awesome. I called today, got voicemail, less then two minutes later the owner, Sean, called me back (caller ID is great). I missed his call, but when I played back the message, the guy gave his cell number in case the main line was busy when I called back.

Being the typical noob that I am, I asked tons of questions. Everyone I dealt with was superb.

Looking forward to running mimby, saga, Vidar with some new speakers. The old wharfedales have served me well the last 20 years, but it's time for an upgrade. For those interested, the Omen Dirty Weekends go up for sale tomorrow at 12 mountain time.

About 3 months ago I bought some of their Libtec speaker cables via their eBay promo account. I know cables are a touchy subject, but just the fit and finish alone was worth the 90ish bucks I paid. The oversized pure copper spades I got fit Vidar amazingly well, and the construction looks very durable. It might be the jump to 11ga cable, or the fresh non oxidized connection, but my 2channel Schiit stack loved the sound improvement they brought to the table. Nice to see two small American manufacturers filling my audio needs.

I hear the Zu's you are getting at the 2017 RMAF. Amazing for size and price. Sean was playing Rush's Hemispheres La Villa Strangiato. Something I have played 100s of time growing up. I have never heard it so alive. Hope you enjoy them.

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #47,994 of 149,012
I hear the Zu's you are getting at the 2017 RMAF. Amazing for size and price. Sean was playing Rush's Hemispheres La Villa Strangiato. Something I have played 100s of time growing up. I have never heard it so alive. Hope you enjoy them.
thats quite a tune

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #47,996 of 149,012

I have a pair of Omen Dirty Weekends and I really enjoy them. The Zu folks are great and can always be counted on for playing great music at audio shows. I also have a Modi Multibit and a Saga but I'm planning to get an Aegir - hopefully soon. Let us know how the Vidar works with the DW!

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #47,998 of 149,012
Yes, great combo! Plenty of power and sounds amazing. I started with Saga/Vidar, which sounded pretty good with the Double Impacts. Then I thought I'd give Aegir a shot...15 day trial period, right? After I got past approx 30 hrs break-in the Aegir's sound became jaw-droppingly good. Especially the mids...just such a sweetness and clarity that I hadn't heard before. Unfortunately though as others have mentioned the Aegir doesn't have the same bass power as the Vidar. The Vidar feels more energetic. Despite that, the sonic gains from Aegir are well worth the trade-off to me, so I'm sticking with Aegir and sold the Vidar. Power-wise I can turn it up very loud - far louder than I ever would want.

Did you try Aegir as just one stereo vs 2 monoblocks? Does it still sound the same at low volume?

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #47,999 of 149,012
I’m unhappy with my sound right now. The Saga doesn’t give enough bottom end and punch to the Aegir in my experience (into Tekton Lore OG). Agree that’s the highs and upper mids are really spectacular with the Aegir and Saga combo, but at giant expense of the lower mids through sub bass. I had Vidar before. It was a very nice amp. Some transformer noise, but I think they can fix that; not the most refined in the highs, but amazing PRaT, and punch, worked well with the Saga because Vidar has unbelievable, effortless gain. Kind of regret swapping it for the Aegir. My best guess is that Freya S/Freya + is the solution. An actual gain stage (4x for balanced vs Unity gain on Saga). With that move, I could also get a second Aegir down the line if needed for more power (which I expect might be where I'm heading). Bottom line for me, Aegir is unreal in detail and musicality from the upper mids on up, in my setup, but I’m really feeling the lack of gain in the pre stage isn’t doing me any favors.

Do you feel that a single Aegir has insufficient power? I'm looking for a desktop system 2 feet distance from my head. Need best quality at low volume. Ragnarok 2 is another option, but can't find any review yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back