Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #47,972 of 149,163
Was using line level XLR inputs in both cases from the Freya. In one case, it was Freya->SVS->2xVidar with the low pass to the sub’s amp at 50 Hz and the high pass to the Vidars at 50Hz. So nothing below 45-50 Hz was getting to the Vidars.

I switched it now so the Freya XLR out is split to the SVS with 40Hz Low pass, and Full Range to the Vidars.
I think the main problem with the pass through configuration is that the high pass is dsp, so it’s doing A2D2A, and likely adding noise in the process. And since a high levels I could still trip the Vidars, no point in keeping it that way.
Sounds to me like your problem is running a Vidar in mono to a 4-ohm nominal load. If you read the specs, in mono they are only rated into 8-ohms. A 4-ohm load will overload it.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #47,973 of 149,163
Side question - how can you tell when a tube is wearing out and needs replacing?
The simple answer is when it stops working. :) The output will change with time and there are ways to tell when it is nearing end of life, but for the average user who is not an electronics tweaker, just buy a spare tube or two and put it in a drawer, and then when the tube(s) in your gear dies, replace it.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #47,974 of 149,163
Anyone using an Aegir with a set of Tekton double impacts? If so, how are you liking it? Is there plenty of power?
Yes, great combo! Plenty of power and sounds amazing. I started with Saga/Vidar, which sounded pretty good with the Double Impacts. Then I thought I'd give Aegir a shot...15 day trial period, right? After I got past approx 30 hrs break-in the Aegir's sound became jaw-droppingly good. Especially the mids...just such a sweetness and clarity that I hadn't heard before. Unfortunately though as others have mentioned the Aegir doesn't have the same bass power as the Vidar. The Vidar feels more energetic. Despite that, the sonic gains from Aegir are well worth the trade-off to me, so I'm sticking with Aegir and sold the Vidar. Power-wise I can turn it up very loud - far louder than I ever would want.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #47,975 of 149,163
The simple answer is when it stops working. :) The output will change with time and there are ways to tell when it is nearing end of life, but for the average user who is not an electronics tweaker, just buy a spare tube or two and put it in a drawer, and then when the tube(s) in your gear dies, replace it.

Meaning it stops glowing? Or will the sound start to get duller or some other sonic tell?

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #47,977 of 149,163
Sounds to me like your problem is running a Vidar in mono to a 4-ohm nominal load. If you read the specs, in mono they are only rated into 8-ohms. A 4-ohm load will overload it.
This has been covered before:
Vidar is fine in mono into 4 ohms. It is "stable". However, if you play it loud, it may turn off thermally.

My only experience with tubes thus far has been with my Saga which I got last fall. I generally prefer the sound with the tube engaged rather than on strictly passive. Perhaps that means I like tubes...
I prefer Saga with a LISST "tube" over passive, but that is solid state. It had a similar improvement to the center image as running the provided tube did (while otherwise sounding better to me), and Ragnarok 2 (both by itself and as a preamp into Vidar) retains that quality. So perhaps you just like active preamps :)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #47,978 of 149,163
Meaning it stops glowing? Or will the sound start to get duller or some other sonic tell?
Yes, it will stop glowing and the output will go away from your preamp.

As far as hearing an aging tube, it is pretty rare to be able to do that by ear - but it is not uncommon to replace an old tube then think, "Wow, that sounds better all the sudden!" :L3000:

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #47,980 of 149,163
Suggest you write to Schiit and get an official reply.
Yes it is OK to do that with no degradation of sound quality. And Jason has reinforced that answer on this forum.

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #47,981 of 149,163
Yes, great combo! Plenty of power and sounds amazing. I started with Saga/Vidar, which sounded pretty good with the Double Impacts. Then I thought I'd give Aegir a shot...15 day trial period, right? After I got past approx 30 hrs break-in the Aegir's sound became jaw-droppingly good. Especially the mids...just such a sweetness and clarity that I hadn't heard before. Unfortunately though as others have mentioned the Aegir doesn't have the same bass power as the Vidar. The Vidar feels more energetic. Despite that, the sonic gains from Aegir are well worth the trade-off to me, so I'm sticking with Aegir and sold the Vidar. Power-wise I can turn it up very loud - far louder than I ever would want.

Oh god, this sounds like a mouth watering combo. 2 weeks ago I heard the DIs for the first time and BLEW ME AWAY. Best speaker I've ever hear hands down and it's not even close. I've heard Maggies, B&W, Martin Logan, Golden Ears, Paradigms, Vandersteens, and many others. It's not even funny how good the DIs are.

@Jason Stoddard you should get some Tekton for the Schiiter meets!

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #47,982 of 149,163
Still using Saga in the pre stage?

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #47,983 of 149,163
Thinking of buying a yggy analog2, but have a question.
Is it possible to connect both RCA and balanced at the same time without degrading the sound quality?
(Have separate amps for speakers and hp)

Yes, I do it all the time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back