Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 21, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #47,731 of 145,769
the answer for speaker and sub users is to just put their unit into speakers+headphones mode and enjoy.
Sounds like a good way to blow my headphones if I crank the volume a bit while listening to speakers. I swap between speakers and headphones every day, I'll forget to unplug the cable sooner or later.

I was looking forward to regaining the desk space that Rag1 occupies; but this may be a deal breaker. Have to do some homework on cabling options for my subwoofer.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #47,732 of 145,769
The Ragnarok 2 preout functionality being tied to headphones seems so odd to me. I can’t imagine a relevant use case unless someone is a gamer who uses a the amp on, and a subwoofer under, a desk and wants the location precision of headphones while gaming but still wants to feel explosions.

I want to use headphones when I need to be quiet at home, and when I don’t need to be quiet I want to run speakers and/or subs. There is now no way to listen to headphones without having the subwoofer on unless you unplug or turn off the sub, or wire using the speaker outputs which seems problematic given the differential output design. Any reputable sub has a feature to automatically turn on when it receives a signal. (Not a 12v trigger mind you, just sensing a signal and auto power off after X minutes if no signal). Somewhat useless now.

I think this is another relic of the desk warrior brigade messing with something really meant for a living room.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #47,734 of 145,769
That may be the unintended result given the current preamp output situation and the level of angst exhibited by some 2-channel folks. Really just seems like an oversight. I'm surprised it was not brought up and resolved in beta. Or maybe there's some underlying technical reason that escapes me. Nexus?

Edit: Read that it was a design choice based on input from folks that e-mailed wanting sub and HP active at the same time. It would be a real shame if the active community at HF was not asked for feedback prior to the decision on such an impactful change. It may have provided additional insight and a different perspective given that Rag 2 is also geared towards Speaker users. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #47,735 of 145,769
Maybe they are the ones buying Ragnaroks...

Yeah Rag 1 was well suited for desk types, being it didn't have a remote and all. No remote on rag 1 was a contributing factor to me going with saga and Vidar (which are excellent). I don't use subs, and am looking towards full range towers that get to a minimum 35hz, so rag 2 continues to be an option for me.

I'm guessing the new features of rag 2 make it more attractive to folks who didn't buy rag 1, hence more and different voices.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #47,736 of 145,769
That may be the unintended result given the current preamp output situation and the level of angst exhibited by some 2-channel folks. Really just seems like an oversight. I'm surprised it was not brought up and resolved in beta. Or maybe there's some underlying technical reason that escapes me. Nexus?

Edit: Read that it was a design choice based on input from folks that e-mailed wanting sub and HP active at the same time. It would be a real shame if the active community at HF was not asked for feedback prior to the decision on such an impactful change. It may have provided additional insight and a different perspective given that Rag 2 is also geared towards Speaker users. :frowning2:
How do you know only a specific community was asked for feedback? Maybe that community simply provided input without being asked? If so, then the active community would have had the same opportunity.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #47,738 of 145,769
Regarding the Ragnarok 2, I don’t think disabling speaker output while preamp outs are in use is that unusual. A lot of integrated amps behave this way.
The idea being that you would be sending the preamp output to a separate power amplifier and would want to bypass the power amp section of the integrated.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #47,739 of 145,769
How do you know only a specific community was asked for feedback? Maybe that community simply provided input without being asked? If so, then the active community would have had the same opportunity.

Not really sure what you are asking, but...

1. I never said feedback was actively solicited of any other community. Jason stated Schiit had received e-mails requesting the pre-out and HP on simultaneously capability. I assume those e-mails were unsolicited.
2. As a result of those e-mails (and possibly other unknown considerations) a feature and basic capability was changed (removed) as it relates to the product being replaced.
3. This active community was not asked for feedback about removing said capability/feature (as far as I know).

Sure, anyone can advocate for a new feature by e-mailing Schiit or posting in the thread, but how can one possibly advocate for keeping a feature/function that we had no idea was going to be removed? :thinking:

** Ultimately it is their product to design and engineer however they choose. Just seems like a missed opportunity to engage the active community here for additional insight on such an impactful change to the original Rag's replacement.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #47,741 of 145,769
Oh. So I cannot voice an opinion and answer questions directed at me without being told to move along?

I've already moved along product-wise, but that doesn't mean I don't want to offer up my opinion so Schiit can consider it in the future. Whether they choose to accept my thoughts or discard them is up to them, but stifling well meaning and constructive ideas and opinions does not help anyone.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #47,742 of 145,769
Oh. So I cannot voice an opinion and answer questions directed at me without being told to move along?

I've already moved along product-wise, but that doesn't mean I don't want to offer up my opinion so Schiit can consider it in the future. Whether they choose to accept my thoughts or discard them is up to them, but stifling well meaning and constructive ideas and opinions does not help anyone.
Please don't assume I was talking to you, I was not. I mean in general. Schiit has said on many occasions that they build the gear they want to build and if it's not right for a specific user that there are many other options out there in the world. That's the sentiment I was echoing.

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #47,743 of 145,769
@Ableza -- Thanks. I was a bit taken aback, but apparently I read way too much into your post.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #47,744 of 145,769

Users who are viewing this thread

Back