Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #46,906 of 148,097
I'm quite interested in the Freya-S. I've just been waiting for an all solid state balanced preamp that is (hopefully) high performance. My previous Freya impressions were somewhat favorable so it would be interesting to try a higher performance Freya to see if it would consider me to jump.

@Jason Stoddard : Support is important for me. That's why I love your plan for your dacs. They've stayed the same and any one of them can be upgraded to the latest for a modest price. It shows that I don't have to throw away my gear.

With this project Thunderdome, I can't help but be wary of the future long term support for these (potentially) short lived products. What's your plan for support when the warranty runs out? Do you plan to stock parts past the warranty? Would we get a message saying we are out of luck since it's out of warranty even if we are willing to pay for repair? I have kept all my audio gear past warranty and shop at places that are willing to service my gear for a price.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #46,907 of 148,097
I'm quite interested in the Freya-S. I've just been waiting for an all solid state balanced preamp that is (hopefully) high performance. My previous Freya impressions were somewhat favorable so it would be interesting to try a higher performance Freya to see if it would consider me to jump.

@Jason Stoddard : Support is important for me. That's why I love your plan for your dacs. They've stayed the same and any one of them can be upgraded to the latest for a modest price. It shows that I don't have to throw away my gear.

With this project Thunderdome, I can't help but be wary of the future long term support for these (potentially) short lived products. What's your plan for support when the warranty runs out? Do you plan to stock parts past the warranty? Would we get a message saying we are out of luck since it's out of warranty even if we are willing to pay for repair? I have kept all my audio gear past warranty and shop at places that are willing to service my gear for a price.

Same 5-year warranty and support as the rest of our products, and no wacky parts...so no worries. We're still happily repairing garage-era Asgards, which have a whole lot more scary parts in them (like very very obsolete 2SK170 JFETs). We will service everything as long as actually possible, just like Velodyne keeps repairing the amp board on my 18" servo sub, which craps out every 4-5 years. I expect someday, they will say, "We can't fix this ancient thing any more," which is fine by me, because it's over 20 years old.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 28, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #46,908 of 148,097
Same 5-year warranty and support as the rest of our products, and no wacky parts...so no worries. We're still happily repairing garage-era Asgards, which have a whole lot more scary parts in them (like very very obsolete 2SK170 JFETs). We will service everything as long as actually possible, just like Velodyne keeps repairing the amp board on my 18" servo sub, which craps out every 4-5 years. I expect someday, they will say, "We can't fix this ancient thing any more," which is fine by me, because it's over 20 years old.
That's good to hear!

May 28, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #46,909 of 148,097
Freya S = a devilish way to tempt me into trying the dual monoblock thing.

I know... I just have to tell myself I don't need to buy another Vidar and Freya S.

the saga portion of your pre amp choices leave me wanting a bit more. I have a gen 1 saga with LISST, it would seem I have the best of both worlds aside from the motorized pot and alum remote.

I have to agree here. I was really hoping for a Saga that had a passive, tube buffer, AND solid state buffer mode (so basically LISST build in). The current Saga S and Sage + make you choose between SS and Tube forever since LISST is no longer a thing. On the flip side, I think Freya S and Freya + nail it. A balanced preamp with a motorized pot,128-relay stepped attenuation, and the simplicity and reliability of solid state (using a proprietary topology no less) for $600... seems amazing. Meanwhile, Freya + adds a differential tube stage and comes in at $300 more, which I think helps justify the existence of both products.

That's basically a Saga S with less inputs. Maybe $199 in a cheaper chassis.

Well, since we're in the Thunderdome... that's a product I really wish existed. Maybe you could also skip the motorized pot (going back to the old system) to save a little more? My point is I do think there is merit to making the cheapest product possible that does wireless input switching and volume control. I really do love the stepped relay, but maybe a regular volume pot might be a way to lower the price as well (though I suppose that would have to be motorized to be remote operated).

May 28, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #46,917 of 148,097
That's basically a Saga S with less inputs. Maybe $199 in a cheaper chassis.
That's great...I was hoping for preamp with tone control. But this one will do as well.

May 28, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #46,918 of 148,097
Don’t forget that all four pre amps come with the clicker dee click option as in the old Saga/Freya!

I think i’d fancy the Freya S. Since the Vali2 i am tube saturated...6 tube choices and i can’t choose; well one is out because it suffers microphony.
I have now SE inputs on my amps but balanced out on my DAC makes the Freya S future proof either way i choose to go in the future

May 28, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #46,919 of 148,097
Don’t forget that all four pre amps come with the clicker dee click option as in the old Saga/Freya!

I think i’d fancy the Freya S. Since the Vali2 i am tube saturated...6 tube choices and i can’t choose; well one is out because it suffers microphony.
I have now SE inputs on my amps but balanced out on my DAC makes the Freya S future proof either way i choose to go in the future

I hear you. a future proof set-it and forget it Freya at a killer price is....Killer. But man I think that juicy tube gain mode is worth the price of admission. a tube pre-amp paired with a good solid state amp can be magical.

May 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #46,920 of 148,097
20190414_004059.jpg
Do the LEDs come in red?

I just like red LEDs alot more than white ones. I even went and did this to my Yggdrasil. Yes it looks horrendous during the day, but looks pretty good in the dark.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back