Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #46,801 of 148,989
True or False- Gungnir Multibit Sounds Better through the Balanced Output than the Single Ended Outputs?
Some owners have reported that the Gumby balanced output sounds better than the SE output. Jason has said that the Gungnir's SE output is derived from the balanced outputs, so it can be argued that the balanced is a more direct signal path. The quality of the balanced vs SE input at the receiving end will also matter.

May 25, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #46,802 of 148,989
True or False- Gungnir Multibit Sounds Better through the Balanced Output than the Single Ended Outputs?

So much better that I would do anything you can the balanced outputs. The SE outputs are the balanced outputs summed.

May 25, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #46,803 of 148,989
So much better that I would do anything you can the balanced outputs. The SE outputs are the balanced outputs summed.
...but that means the SE outputs are twice as good! O_o

6ACC3003-46B1-48E3-9D32-5D3938315920.jpeg

edited for full quote

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #46,805 of 148,989
Can any one comment on how the Aegir sounds in comparison to Amp Camp Amps?

That would be an interesting comparison. I built an Amp Camp Amp to use with my Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends but didn't like the result. Good bass, great midrange, but overly sharp and grating treble. I was a bit surprised at this result since Zu often runs demos with Pass Labs amps, but that's what I heard.

May 25, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #46,806 of 148,989
That would be an interesting comparison. I built an Amp Camp Amp to use with my Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends but didn't like the result. Good bass, great midrange, but overly sharp and grating treble. I was a bit surprised at this result since Zu often runs demos with Pass Labs amps, but that's what I heard.

Maybe your build has an issue?

May 25, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #46,807 of 148,989
If you haven't done it, you have to break in the cap as in the beginning they don't work like they do as designed. This has nothing to do with an subjective adaption to the sound, it's a physical process in the caps. So, there may be the chance that this cap ruined your experience.
Some people which opinions I highly value say different things about the amp, but all like the highs. So it seems to be that there has to be an issue which can be resolved.

May 26, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #46,810 of 148,989
I am running a test to find out for myself if leaving the Gungnir Multi bit DAC on really improves the sound.

It has been on for 51 hours now. No question, there is something to this claim.

Sounds better than ever. Improved detail and punch. Very impressive.

I was skeptical that Gumby could sound better than it always has with turning it off at the end of each day.

Now I have to leave it on all the time. Can't go back.

It has been said on this thread that three days is the peak improvement mark. That will be tomorrow night around 8:00 PM.

May 26, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #46,811 of 148,989
If you haven't done it, you have to break in the cap as in the beginning they don't work like they do as designed. This has nothing to do with an subjective adaption to the sound, it's a physical process in the caps. So, there may be the chance that this cap ruined your experience.
Some people which opinions I highly value say different things about the amp, but all like the highs. So it seems to be that there has to be an issue which can be resolved.

Thanks! I was aware of the caps since they cause the interesting zip-like sound when the amp is turned on. I left the amp on for a few days and while there was some improvement the treble was still too hot for my taste (I'm very treble-sensitive so YMMV here) so the amp went on eBay.

May 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #46,814 of 148,989
4 products launching in a week? Could we expect 4 items in a day? Tuesday?

Give me something to look forward to while I am working on the holiday and covering 3 offices.
Ja ja and something cheap ahumm affordable i hope

May 26, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #46,815 of 148,989
I had the pleasure of visiting Jimmy Buffs (many years ago). After passing it several times and wondering what the hell an Italian Hotdog was (I ain't from around here) I finally had to stop and see. Many more visits followed. An amazing creation.
The current love of my life is the Sonoran Hotdog. No ketchup in sight.
(yes, I realize the rest of you have moved on to other things but I was stuck on this)
Sonoran hot dogs from Moreno's in Mesa AZ are great. I will always be a Chicago dog fan, however, and was very happy to learn my local Albertsons carries genuine Vienna brand dogs, green relish and sport peppers. And I order Mary Ann buns from S. Rosen bakery on-line. Mmm.

If someone asks for ketchup in my house I tell them we are not philistines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back