Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #46,786 of 148,521
Oh and its a lot better sounding than my previous Ragnarok. Even my wife, who thinks im coo-coo in this audiophile hobby, says the Freya plus Aegirs are sooooo better to the point that she asked me to teach her how to turn on the switch the yggy to the right input, turn on freya and turn on aegirs so that when i am away she will play her own music.
She wants something from you obviously. Be prepared.

May 23, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #46,787 of 148,521
Since we're on the subject of speakers I'm happy to say I finally found my next pair. A fullrange model from Omega. I really liked the idea of their Alnico Hemp driver based monitors, but they are physically very large speakers. So what we ended up doing was subbing that driver into their smaller Super 7 monitor cabinet. Hopefully they'll be here soon and I can find out if this whole single driver speaker business is right for me or not.

Ooh.. I'd be very interested to hear how that turns out.
I have a pair of the base model Super 3i's and I'm really enjoying them.
(Rest of the setup is Modi MB, Lyr MK1 (used as pre) and Quad II power amps. Very curious what an Aegir would do instead of the Quads.)

May 23, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #46,788 of 148,521
ooh! and we were getting sooo close! :)

best thing would be to work out a way to audition singles and pairs of both side by side; I should find a way to go and visit the Schiitr!
I might also add (since i live on the other coast), if someone here did manage to do such a comparison (KEF LS50s driven by either a pair of monoblock Aegirs or Vidars) whether at Schittr or by other means, I’m sure inquiring minds here would very much welcome the impressions from such an experience....

May 23, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #46,789 of 148,521
Ooh.. I'd be very interested to hear how that turns out.
I have a pair of the base model Super 3i's and I'm really enjoying them.
(Rest of the setup is Modi MB, Lyr MK1 (used as pre) and Quad II power amps. Very curious what an Aegir would do instead of the Quads.)

I'll post some impressions once I get a feel for them. I don't have the amp I eventually intend to use with them yet either so at best my impressions will be incomplete for a while.

May 23, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #46,790 of 148,521
I can find out if this whole single driver speaker business is right for me or not.
The clarity of the single driver speakers I've heard has been outstanding. Like anything else, they're not perfect, but you may fall for its charms.

May 23, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #46,791 of 148,521
I believe the Ls50 is rated 85db. The R300 is 88db.

88db was the recommended minimum for Aegir monoblocs. (I seem to read it from Jason’s post, please correct me if I am wrong)

Edit: looked up Aegir’s FAQ at Schiit’s website. Here’s what it says:

But, isn’t 20W not a lot of power? Is that enough for me?
We can’t really predict how it will work in every situation, but if you’re using efficient speakers (88dB and above), or if you’re using two Aegirs run in mono for 80+W, then it’ll probably be fine.

I'm running Freya into Aejir monoblocks with 88 db rated speakers (Paradigm Studio 100's V3)
Plenty of power and really great sound.
I have a 165-Watt per channel power amp also fed by the Freya and running an identical pair of Paradigms standing next to the first pair.
The Aejirs sound so good & have so much power, I have not played the other amp once since the Aejirs arrived.
I can't believe how much detail I am hearing for the first time in music I have played hundreds of times.
Pre-loudness wars, high dynamic range CDs are heavenly. Even if you don't like the music, you love the sound.

May 24, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #46,792 of 148,521
I'm running Freya into Aejir monoblocks with 88 db rated speakers (Paradigm Studio 100's V3)
Plenty of power and really great sound.
I have a 165-Watt per channel power amp also fed by the Freya and running an identical pair of Paradigms standing next to the first pair.
The Aejirs sound so good & have so much power, I have not played the other amp once since the Aejirs arrived.
I can't believe how much detail I am hearing for the first time in music I have played hundreds of times.
Pre-loudness wars, high dynamic range CDs are heavenly. Even if you don't like the music, you love the sound.
For 86 dB magneplanar 1.7is, I am running 2 Vidar and I wouldn't want to go lower in power than that. the room here is 25x10x8, and I'm often sitting 15-20' from the speakers though.

May 24, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #46,793 of 148,521
The clarity of the single driver speakers I've heard has been outstanding. Like anything else, they're not perfect, but you may fall for its charms.

A few years ago I bought some ALO Audio Pandas on clearance pretty much in a whim. It uses a 3.5" full range Dayton Audio driver in an adorably cute little bamboo cabinet. They might be the most interesting, and flawed, speaker I've ever heard. In some ways it punches way above its weight with imaging and transients that are astonishingly good. On the other hand I find the tonal balance to be downright wonky with a midrange that flips from recessed on one track to too forward and shouty on the next. They are also super fussy about placement.

That's my experience to date with full range single driver loudspeakers. I suspect it's probably not representative of the species as a whole, but I know there are compromises that go along with the benefits of not having a crossover. I guess I'll see which has more weight: the pros or the cons. I have a good gut feeling about the Omegas though. As soon as I found their website a voice inside me whispered "this is the one you've been looking for" right away. These guys are surprisingly hard to find and off the radar too I have to say. I was googling and crawling through forums for months before finding them. Of course it could be that I'm just terrible at looking for things too. :p

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #46,794 of 148,521
For 86 dB magneplanar 1.7is, I am running 2 Vidar and I wouldn't want to go lower in power than that. the room here is 25x10x8, and I'm often sitting 15-20' from the speakers though.
That is because they’ve a difficult load of nominal 4ohm and probably go below 2ohm with certain tunes, the worst enemy of a amplifier...and 5 meters listening distance is huge, especially in europe or japan

May 25, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #46,795 of 148,521
Nearly 2 days without a new post in this thread. I started to think the world beyond my headphone cable had finally ended. :point_up:

Or Ragnarok (2) had finally come, but then @Jason Stoddard would have given us a two minute warning, wouldn‘t he? :ksc75smile:

May 25, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #46,796 of 148,521
True or False- Gungnir Multibit Sounds Better through the Balanced Output than the Single Ended Outputs?

Also, saw this on another forum from Jason on Thursday night:

" Hey all,

Yep, I hear you about a more insane Continuity amp, but the reality is, we're gonna have to wait a bit on that one. There's a lot of stuff coming down the line right now, and I have to focus on getting that right. Ragnarok 2, yep, and Sol, yep (we just got usable platters yesterday, so it's really gonna be a thing now.), but also 4 other products launched next week, and two more coming this summer, and two or three this fall. Plus, now a balanced EQ can really be a thing with Nexus, so that's back on the table (but not for this year.) Sure, I'll eventually take a run at a bigger badder backbreaking nutball insane amp, but that's a ways off.

Please bear with us if you want a super insane powerful crazy megaburrito choke-input Nexus Continuity buzzword-compliant amp, but also expect to buy two of them for stereo. And don't expect it to be a three-figure pricetag, either.

All the best,
Jason"

May 25, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #46,797 of 148,521
Please bear with us if you want a super insane powerful crazy megaburrito choke-input Nexus Continuity buzzword-compliant amp, but also expect to buy two of them for stereo. And don't expect it to be a three-figure pricetag, either.

Is one to assume it will be south of $100, then? :thinking:

(J/K) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #46,799 of 148,521
May 25, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #46,800 of 148,521
A few years ago I bought some ALO Audio Pandas on clearance pretty much in a whim. ...

... I have a good gut feeling about the Omegas though. As soon as I found their website a voice inside me whispered "this is the one you've been looking for" right away. These guys are surprisingly hard to find and off the radar too I have to say. I was googling and crawling through forums for months before finding them. Of course it could be that I'm just terrible at looking for things too. :p

I have a bunch of Cambridge Audio Minx with the BMR driver. They sound really good but they do not play very loud or very deep, only down to 140Hz or so. Because of their clarity for certain uses they are really really good. I haven't found them to be fussy or FR challenged. I should measure them someday...

I seem to be sensitive to phase effects and I think no crossover really helps with that. I think on audio circle there's a whole bunch of Omega information, if I am permitted to mention that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back