Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #46,772 of 149,163
Yes, they should ... Except, it seems, Metrum Acoustics in the Netherlands ... they advertise base price and a side note, "excl VAT"
It is not a site for Dutch market only. It is a global site and in Europe you've many different VAT %, therefore.
There are other solutions though, like Thomann has a country specific site and the price is incl VAT but different per country.

May 23, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #46,773 of 149,163
Out of curiosity, how does that compare to the Rag? I have the A1 and LS50s as well, but certainly never considered pairing the two.
That little FiiO A1 sounds good (that product is discontinued now).
I don't have the Rag back yet, so can't do A/B comparisons.
And when I do my office setup will likely make it difficult to say a lot.
It's just amazing to me when something so little and cheap can sound good.

May 23, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #46,774 of 149,163
That little FiiO A1 sounds good (that product is discontinued now).
I don't have the Rag back yet, so can't do A/B comparisons.
And when I do my office setup will likely make it difficult to say a lot.
It's just amazing to me when something so little and cheap can sound good.

Especially when it's Cheap AND Class D! :wink:

(we may have to revoke your Head-Fi card)

May 23, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #46,775 of 149,163
Especially when it's Cheap AND Class D! :wink:

(we may have to revoke your Head-Fi card)

Caveats are that it is low volume, near field, background music at work with Spotify (usually) as a source.
Qobuz often finicky with firewall and presumably bandwidth throttling.
Also going through the Yggy.

May 23, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #46,777 of 149,163
I have been running a pair of LS50s with Jot as preamp and a single Vidar. My living room is about 9mx6m, and the system can be played really loud. Dual Vidars will probably give it a tiny be more control at loud volume, but I am happy when what I hear right now.......till I am not.

May 23, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #46,778 of 149,163
I have R300's and I will pretend I didn't read this, Batman. My wallet doesn't need me to want monoblock Aegirs and a Freya right now.

Oh and its a lot better sounding than my previous Ragnarok. Even my wife, who thinks im coo-coo in this audiophile hobby, says the Freya plus Aegirs are sooooo better to the point that she asked me to teach her how to turn on the switch the yggy to the right input, turn on freya and turn on aegirs so that when i am away she will play her own music.

May 23, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #46,779 of 149,163
I have 2 Aegirs and a Kef R300. Aegirs sounds a lot better in my opinion.

ooh! and we were getting sooo close! :)

best thing would be to work out a way to audition singles and pairs of both side by side; I should find a way to go and visit the Schiitr!

May 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #46,780 of 149,163
ooh! and we were getting sooo close! :)

best thing would be to work out a way to audition singles and pairs of both side by side; I should find a way to go and visit the Schiitr!

I believe the Ls50 is rated 85db. The R300 is 88db.

88db was the recommended minimum for Aegir monoblocs. (I seem to read it from Jason’s post, please correct me if I am wrong)

Edit: looked up Aegir’s FAQ at Schiit’s website. Here’s what it says:

But, isn’t 20W not a lot of power? Is that enough for me?
We can’t really predict how it will work in every situation, but if you’re using efficient speakers (88dB and above), or if you’re using two Aegirs run in mono for 80+W, then it’ll probably be fine.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #46,781 of 149,163
Oh yeah I am also in the midst of writing a mini review of the Aegirs paired with the RAAL SR1a. Ribbon headphones that blows away the Utopias or the high end stax. Will post a link here also.

Maybe write up will be posted this weekend.

May 23, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #46,783 of 149,163
I believe the Ls50 is rated 85db. The R300 is 88db.

88db was the recommended minimum for Aegir monoblocs. (I seem to read it from Jason’s post, please correct me if I am wrong)
depends on the distance from your ear to the speaker in your usual listening position (but with 88dB and normal listening distance 20W should be enough unless you want concert levels)

May 23, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #46,784 of 149,163
... they'll need to be relatively small and able to stand relatively close to the wall. Having said that, if I went that way, I'd be curious to try out the Spatial M3...

Been using one Aegir on a pair of M3 Turbo S for a week now (24/24), and it works beautifully! (powered them with one Vidar before)
Saga's pot position is about 2 hours more than before, with plenty left in a 14'x12' room.

Of course, they stand three feet from the front wall, and could use a Vidar for bass impact / tightness, but mid/highs are really on a different level, very good pairing!

May 23, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #46,785 of 149,163
Since we're on the subject of speakers I'm happy to say I finally found my next pair. A fullrange model from Omega. I really liked the idea of their Alnico Hemp driver based monitors, but they are physically very large speakers. So what we ended up doing was subbing that driver into their smaller Super 7 monitor cabinet. Hopefully they'll be here soon and I can find out if this whole single driver speaker business is right for me or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back