Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #46,697 of 149,012
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some tube recommendations for Saga.

I want to try a new tube in my Saga and don't really know where to start. For reference, I know almost nothing about tubes, so I'm a complete novice in this regard. I originally bought my Saga with the stock tube, then eventually purchased the Tung-Sol tube Schiit sells and have been using that since. I like what I hear so I'm not trying to change the sound in any specific way. I just want to experiment a bit.

Really all I'm looking for is for anyone to share the tubes they like (that work with Saga) and to link to where it can be bought, if possible. Or if this has been discussed elsewhere before, a link to that would be great too.

Thanks!

Also...

Regarding the Sol power output port: I've seen it at the Schiitr, and as others have already speculated, the power output port is for connection to the motor pod, which is a completely separate unit from the plinth.

Regarding Mike's latest post: I want to say I'm excited for whatever is coming. I bet "that which cannot be named" is something other than Unison (which has... already been named) and the transport. No clue as to what it is though. As always, I'm itching for a Bifrost update. I also really hope the dynamic range expander becomes a reality, because I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

May 20, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #46,698 of 149,012

I want to try a new tube in my Saga and don't really know where to start. For reference, I know almost nothing about tubes, so I'm a complete novice in this regard. I originally bought my Saga with the stock tube, then eventually purchased the Tung-Sol tube Schiit sells and have been using that since. I like what I hear so I'm not trying to change the sound in any specific way. I just want to experiment a bit.

Really all I'm looking for is for anyone to share the tubes they like (that work with Saga) and to link to where it can be bought, if possible. Or if this has been discussed elsewhere before, a link to that would be great too.

Thanks!

Also...

Regarding the Sol power output port: I've seen it at the Schiitr, and as others have already speculated, the power output port is for connection to the motor pod, which is a completely separate unit from the plinth.

Regarding Mike's latest post: I want to say I'm excited for whatever is coming. I bet "that which cannot be named" is something other than Unison (which has... already been named) and the transport. No clue as to what it is though. As always, I'm itching for a Bifrost update. I also really hope the dynamic range expander becomes a reality, because I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

tctubes is a very reliable supplier who honestly tests the tubes he sells. He also stands behind his tubes, I had a 1952 Bad Boy fail on me in one week and got a refund on return no problem. Try an early 1950s Sylvania 6SN7GT. Also take a look at Brent Jessee for Sylvanias or other 6SN7GTs. The Holy Grail of 6SN7GT tubes is the 1940s Tung Sol black round plates, oval or round micas with black glass ... but they are usually over $200.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #46,700 of 149,012
I like mustard, raw chopped onions and a tiny bit of ketchup on my red snapper hot dogs. Shoot me, it’s delicious that way. I’ll die with one in my hand with a smile on my face.
You guys should come to Brazil and see the atrocities they make to hotdogs. The list goes from cooked quail eggs and mashed potato all the way to raisins.
If you are strong enough, this website has some pictures: https://www.buzzfeed.com/br/alexandreorrico/hot-dogs-brasileiros

May 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #46,701 of 149,012

I really like the 6SN7 ge GTb it was recommended to me by Thomas & Stereo, It is really excellent and the eBay prices are really reasonable and you can get them in all kinds of flavors.
My favorite one is the Raytheon one with the chrome stuff on the inside, it really gave me what I wanted from a tube or what people clamor about. The GE one is alright just feels like it just boosts the mid range a bit

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #46,703 of 149,012

Thanks!

Also...

i have good experience with this supplier:
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/catalog.php?product_search=6SN7

May 21, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #46,704 of 149,012

Thanks!

Also...

This is the place I go for all my tubes. Everything is always top notch. They only sell the good stuff and it's all fully tested and matched. They also can help with suggestions if you email them.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes

May 21, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #46,705 of 149,012

Thanks!

Also...

The Brimar 6SN7gt have given me the most appreciable difference from passive mode on my Saga. I use it in my speakers setup and notice a little more midrange emphasis and soundstage depth.

May 21, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #46,706 of 149,012
May 21, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #46,710 of 149,012
Overpriced?
You must be confused.
He has only TOP TOP notched and controlled, matched etc on all sides.
At HiFi stuff he is cheap.
I think they are very reliable in terms of quality and recommendations. Other places you have to know your crap. And be very careful. Upscale audio is like buying a nissan car from the biggest nissan dealer in town. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back