Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #46,306 of 145,768
Guys, I have an honest and straight question to you. Why are people so obsessed about Roon, audionirvana, Tidal etc. so much? I mean I get it. I have a tidal subscription; sometimes I go and enjoy super high quality audio and satisfy my geek self; I also have quite a few CDs. I do have a record player (bad one) and few records which I use when I feel like class :p. But then there is so much music/ movies everywhere else that I think is little too good to be obsessing over only a limited and finite source over and over. I freed myself of that bondage long time back. I listen to every bit of obscure world music at you tube. Well recorded music at you tube is of course not as good as tidal; but not bad either. I feel so free now. Thoughts? I want to understand how you guys think.

May 8, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #46,307 of 145,768
Guys, I have an honest and straight question to you. Why are people so obsessed about Roon, audionirvana, Tidal etc. so much? I mean I get it. I have a tidal subscription; sometimes I go and enjoy super high quality audio and satisfy my geek self; I also have quite a few CDs. I do have a record player (bad one) and few records which I use when I feel like class :p. But then there is so much music/ movies everywhere else that I think is little too good to be obsessing over only a limited and finite source over and over. I freed myself of that bondage long time back. I listen to every bit of obscure world music at you tube. Well recorded music at you tube is of course not as good as tidal; but not bad either. I feel so free now. Thoughts? I want to understand how you guys think.

Ditto...rather hear a good tune on a transistor radio than one that doesn't move me in high-resolution. As such, I don't buy high-resolution recordings...CD's and music downloads are good enough for me -- yes, even mp3's :astonished:

TBH...this 'critical listening' thing is no longer for me! Wasted a lot of $$$$$$ and time back in my 2-channel stereo days chasing this unicorn!

It's a bonus if I can get a great song playing on some solid equipment, but I'm boppin' my head or tappin' my feet even if it's playing through BT iems at a park or sitting at my desk!

May 8, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #46,308 of 145,768
yes that is what I want: youtube into Roon :)

May 8, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #46,309 of 145,768
Ditto...rather hear a good tune on a transistor radio than one that doesn't move me in high-resolution. As such, I don't buy high-resolution recordings...CD's and music downloads are good enough for me -- yes, even mp3's :astonished:

TBH...this 'critical listening' thing is no longer for me! Wasted a lot of $$$$$$ and time back in my 2-channel stereo days chasing this unicorn!

It's a bonus if I can get a great song playing on some solid equipment, but I'm boppin' my head or tappin' my feet even if it's playing through BT iems at a park or sitting at my desk!

I just use a Schiit Wyrd USB conditioner (old but works great) and plenty satisfied with what I am hearing. I think the ability to just "be happy" is way understated here. So ya wanna be pissed off and pissed on? You can do that.
You want to just be happy and go on? Can do that too.

May 8, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #46,311 of 145,768
May 8, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #46,312 of 145,768

Double-ditto. I use my Schiit for listening sessions where I've decided to indulge the "quality does matter" side of my brain - local FLAC/Roon > microRendu > Gumby > Freya > Vidar (or Asgard2). I also use various other formats and delivery mechanisms when I'm out-and-about and simply want my music in an alternate location or some discovery via various streaming services. I've thoroughly enjoyed many sessions through my phone and earbuds or through the stock stereo in my car with the windows down and the wind blowing.

Point being -- give it to me anywhere. When I've had a long day at the office -- or simply a few hours to kill before bed -- I slide into my extra-bedroom-turned-listening-den and actively appreciate the way my Schiit delivers on its' promise.

enough said. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #46,314 of 145,768

When it all said and done, the Music you have is better than Music you must buy/borrow.
Schiit DACs get more music from a 16/44 CD-quality file than any other DAC at that price-point. It does a great job with 320 MP3, also.
Amazon will give you more Music than you can think of, soon Hi-Res for $15/mo. Then Roon, and Qobuz, Deezer, Spotify, Pandora, Tidal can run their investors out of cash... and go by the way of Betamax, MQA, DSD, and HDCD.

May 8, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #46,317 of 145,768
When it all said and done, the Music you have is better than Music you must buy/borrow.
Schiit DACs get more music from a 16/44 CD-quality file than any other DAC at that price-point. It does a great job with 320 MP3, also.
Amazon will give you more Music than you can think of, soon Hi-Res for $15/mo. Then Roon, and Qobuz, Deezer, Spotify, Pandora, Tidal can run their investors out of cash... and go by the way of Betamax, MQA, DSD, and HDCD.

Hey thanks for your reply. I know that good sound is good and there are pretty many sources to buy them. And I appreciate my Ygg 2 /XPA2 Kef LS50 sound even when the source is crappy. But; I was saying there is so much music/ movies/ videos that is not HD quality that I listen to. Also, I dunno if there is any one song I love so much that I will listen to it so much and throughout my life that makes it worth the $$$$. Hope I could convey.

May 8, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #46,318 of 145,768
Actually, all the benefits of Roon.
Well I am not getting the point then. Please help a little. What would a better UI do to me (Better that youtube's). Also, I have read Roon's website and seen it here and there; I do not own it. What do you think is the most imp benifit that roon has; apart from keeping all your music sources together, and streaming in HQ?

May 8, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #46,319 of 145,768
Well I am not getting the point then. Please help a little. What would a better UI do to me (Better that youtube's). Also, I have read Roon's website and seen it here and there; I do not own it. What do you think is the most imp benifit that roon has; apart from keeping all your music sources together, and streaming in HQ?

You have to need (desire) the features that Roon offers. My point was that it is not all about UI (in fact, I'd argue that the UI could still use some work).

For me, the greater benefits are that whatever I'm listening to can follow me form room to room, I can play in a group of rooms, others can listen to different things in another room, I can listen on my phone, tablet, notebook, desktop computer, big hifi, bedroom hifi, office speakers (as can my wife). I can control Roon from my phone, notebook, tablet. It "centralizes" all my audio, my in-house library of Flac, mp3s, speech, radio recordings, Tidal, Quobuz, and Internet Radio. And most of all, Roon adds metadata and linking to all music in my library, tidal and qobuz. It's (almost) like having an unlimited library to search, research and listen to.

May 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #46,320 of 145,768
Hey all,

It's another busy week around here. Lots of first articles (including Ragnarok 2!) and lots of little issues as we get Sol closer to production.

With Sol, we've been running into many mechanical problems, some small, some larger, including bad machining, bad paint, late parts (holy crap late, I mean this is getting ridiculous late type of late), and we're making the changes necessary to have a problem-free launch--and, hopefully, be able to keep things in stock. If I don't feel we can get good parts in a timely manner, we may have to make more radical changes, such as going to different vendors. I don't want to do that, but if we have to, we have to.

For now, I'll go back to the first articles. You'll be hearing more about those soon!

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back