Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 7, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #46,276 of 148,482
Was Schiit listed there for a long time? Maybe a new product coming soon?
I remember seeing it there ~pre-AXPONA 2019 time (when I got Roon), so not brand new.

May 7, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #46,278 of 148,482
I don't know what "roon tested" means except that you can plug a Schiit into some USB port somewhere and Roon will stream to it.
Despite purchasing Roon, I don't get it all completely.
This explains some of the terms:
Roon partner programs
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_partner_programs

Roon Ready network players
Roon Ready is the highest level of Roon integration available to partners, and means that Roon technology is actually customized for, and embedded into, their devices.

Roon Tested DACs
We want Roon to work with all the hardware out there, but most importantly, we want our users to have confidence that the products they have (or are considering buying) will work well with Roon.
To achieve that, we came up with a second hardware partner program called "Roon Tested".
We need to have a working relationship with the manufacturer to make this happen.

The idea is that we test various manufacturers' audio endpoints with Roon, using a much more rigorous test than any normal user would.
The manufacturer also tests Roon with their product, and makes sure we don't do anything bad to their endpoint.
Because the manufacturer has provided us with their hardware, we can test our software against every device when we make new releases.

A few USB and networked audio products out there do some special in-app stuff when you hook them up to Roon.
They're identified in Signal Path and the zone selector, and Roon can identify the product, support extra features, provide links to the manufacturer website and the product's manual, and so on...

If your favorite product is not showing up as Roon Tested, contact your manufacturer and tell them to get it tested.
We only can test what we have in our possession. Feel free to link them to this post.

May 7, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #46,281 of 148,482
Maybe its just marketing?
Why? And why that question?
It states clearly what it means and of course the details of the partnership seal the relationship.

Aside:
I am a Roon fan, the way it looks and interacts with other devices i like very much. But the steep first investment so far holds me off of purchase.

May 7, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #46,282 of 148,482
Jason has already said that Schiit Audio has no interest in getting into software that needs to be updated. Adding an Ethernet port and making a DAC Roon Ready through that port would be counter to this position.

May 7, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #46,283 of 148,482
Jason has already said that Schiit Audio has no interest in getting into software that needs to be updated. Adding an Ethernet port and making a DAC Roon Ready through that port would be counter to this position.

@Jason Stoddard also has a history of saying that Schiit is not going to do something, and then turning around and doing just that. :ksc75smile:

May 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #46,284 of 148,482
May 7, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #46,285 of 148,482
@Jason Stoddard also has a history of saying that Schiit is not going to do something, and then turning around and doing just that. :ksc75smile:

This is quite a bit different than changing his mind on some hardware. Both Mike and Jason have been adament about this. So don't hold your breath!

May 7, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #46,286 of 148,482
Why? And why that question?
It states clearly what it means and of course the details of the partnership seal the relationship.

Aside:
I am a Roon fan, the way it looks and interacts with other devices i like very much. But the steep first investment so far holds me off of purchase.

I’m not sure there’s a partnership there. Saying Roon Tested doesnt make sense to me. Unless Roon is doing something special in its USB interface to the DAC.

But yeah having Roon Tested is a good idea to easily show that a dac is compatible with it. Its partly marketing. And marketing isnt a bad thing.

May 7, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #46,287 of 148,482

I think Jason made that comment when asked if Schiit would be building a streamer. And I think he said he didn't want to build a UI, which would be required for a streamer but not for an ethernet port. Schiit writes software all the time.

May 7, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #46,289 of 148,482
I think Jason made that comment when asked if Schiit would be building a streamer. And I think he said he didn't want to build a UI, which would be required for a streamer but not for an ethernet port. Schiit writes software all the time.

Schiit writes firmware code. That is not "software".

What do you think a Roon Ready Ethernet port on a DACs is? It means the DAC has a built-in streamer. This means that the DAC would have software on board that would have to be updated to maintain Roon Ready status. There would have to be a UI to update that software.

Based on what Jason and Mike have said, this will not happen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back