Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #46,217 of 149,194
And pursuing the audiophile hobby will leave you with less money for more deleterious "interests".

Quite true. But, if your audiophile hobby leaves you with any money left over then that's a sign that you haven't set the bar high enough.

:wink:

JC

May 3, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #46,218 of 149,194
Of course it is [hogwash]. Sure a certain temp is ideal but not realistic in my world...

Wait. Because it is not convenient for you to keep your DAC powered up something that is factually correct about your DAC is hogwash?? That makes no sense. I guess that isn’t surprising considering the source....

May 3, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #46,220 of 149,194
I believe Jason said it would take some time to phase out made in USA. Or maybe they are rethinking it. 3M is a huge Corp. They regularly put Made in The USA of domestic and foreign (or global) materials on their stuff.

May 3, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #46,221 of 149,194
I am really anxious to find out what Unison offers us. More transparency, better error correction, better timing, jitter reduction, etc? I will probably buy one for Bifrost MB, but beyond it being a new USB protocol created and owned by Schiit, I am not clear on the intended benefits.
Not a new protocol, the same USB audio 2.0 protocol. USB sources and receivers can be electrically noisy and can have timing issues, both of which can contaminate the DAC's operation and thus its output. The Unison board was designed in-house to minimize those when connecting to the rest of a Schiit DAC.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #46,222 of 149,194
Not a new protocol, the same USB audio 2.0 protocol. USB sources and receivers can be electrically noisy and can have timing issues that, both of which can contaminate the DAC's operation and thus its output. The Unison board was designed in-house to minimize those when connecting to the rest of a Schiit DAC.
Thank you, super promising!! I’m in

May 4, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #46,223 of 149,194
Not a new protocol, the same USB audio 2.0 protocol. USB sources and receivers can be electrically noisy and can have timing issues, both of which can contaminate the DAC's operation and thus its output. The Unison board was designed in-house to minimize those when connecting to the rest of a Schiit DAC.
Agreed

(I missed the `like` button and clicked 'reply' instead ... :flushed: )

May 4, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #46,224 of 149,194
Every time I see somebody post that the best way to make their system sound better is to have a couple of drinks I always am left wondering.

So, a serious question for you guys: do you genuinely feel that your music sounds better after a couple of drinks (alcoholic), or is this just a universal figure of speech kind of way of telling people that their neurosis is getting in the way of their hobby?

The way I remember it, having a couple of drinks did usually equate to quite a pleasant listening experience.
Then again, I haven't had a drink in many years, and it's not as if my enjoyment of music has been impacted in any meaningful way.
I think it's really just about being in a more relaxed state of mind. Perhaps it makes you more receptive. Who knows.
One could arguably get the same relaxing effect from taking your shoes off, putting your feet up and having a nice cup of tea.

May 4, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #46,225 of 149,194
The way I remember it, having a couple of drinks did usually equate to quite a pleasant listening experience.
Then again, I haven't had a drink in many years, and it's not as if my enjoyment of music has been impacted in any meaningful way.
I think it's really just about being in a more relaxed state of mind. Perhaps it makes you more receptive. Who knows.
One could arguably get the same relaxing effect from taking your shoes off, putting your feet up and having a nice cup of tea.

I'm enjoying an Old Fashioned at the moment, homemade with Breckenridge bourbon from here in Colorado.

Listening to my newly purchased AKG K240 Sextett LPs. I have them plugged into the Vali 2 and it definitely is doing a better job than I expected. These are 600 ohm '70s or '80s monsters, supposed to be very hard to drive, but the little amp is doing it at high gain and like 20% volume. Metallica's Black Album sounds really good right now.

May 4, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #46,226 of 149,194
So, a serious question for you guys: do you genuinely feel that your music sounds better after a couple of drinks (alcoholic), or is this just a universal figure of speech kind of way of telling people that their neurosis is getting in the way of their hobby?

I ask because I have always found that music sounds awful after a glass of whiskey, or anything else for that matter. Like, puts me in a bad mood awful. I won't even attempt to listen to any of my gear if I'm having a drink on a Friday evening, I know better than to waste time with the attempt. My system sounds like an off-brand bedroom clock radio on steroids after a few drinks, all harsh shouty treble and no depth or bass, and I have to turn it up twice as loud as usual. Obviously the gear is fine and the problem is my ears and whatever they and my brain are doing in response to the alcohol, but is this really uncommon?

Depends on whether the person is a happy drunk or a sad drunk :) Moderation is the key, as Pietro and several folks wrote above!

May 4, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #46,227 of 149,194
May 4, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #46,228 of 149,194
What is this Schiit?
(bottom device in picture)

https://twitter.com/SchiitAudio/header_photo

1500x500

A new balanced headphone amp?

EDIT:
Mjolnir 3 (?) or is this a Mjolnir 1 that I have never seen?

upload_2019-5-4_11-14-18.png

EDIT #2:
Yes, looks like Mjolnir 1.
I hadn't seen it before
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/schiit-mjolnir-reviews-and-impressions-collected.15844/

thumb

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #46,230 of 149,194
Every time I see somebody post that the best way to make their system sound better is to have a couple of drinks I always am left wondering.

I ask because I have always found that music sounds awful after a glass of whiskey, or anything else for that matter. Like, puts me in a bad mood awful. I won't even attempt to listen to any of my gear if I'm having a drink on a Friday evening, I know better than to waste time with the attempt. My system sounds like an off-brand bedroom clock radio on steroids after a few drinks, all harsh shouty treble and no depth or bass, and I have to turn it up twice as loud as usual. Obviously the gear is fine and the problem is my ears and whatever they and my brain are doing in response to the alcohol, but is this really uncommon?
@Xcalibur255 ... I think you're one of the first users that had the minerals to ask such an question! Nice. When a YouTube channel content-provider reviewed a Vali 2, that was one his 2016 musings! My preferred perception-time is Saturday morning, before I've over-caffinated myself, on an partially-empty stomach. Caffeine. Ethanol. Body hormones. Hell, my ear-fatigue. It changes my perception. Re: off-brand bedroom clock. Heh, interesting observation. When my tinnitus really acts up (after a week's worth of high pitched whines [teenaged-junior-scientists]), the most I can tolerate is "rain on a tent", by MyNoise dot net. I bypass my fancy toy (Valhalla) and plug-in straight to my Vali. When I'm feeling particularly twitchy, I switch to my solid-state Magni and listen to spoken-word podcasts (in the dark).
Booze.
Food.
Weed.
Fatigue.
My mood.
My music or (horror) podcast preferences change with what's going on in my body. :ksc75smile:
{{{edit... I'd never, EVER do stand up-philosophy [teaching], electronics repair or software troubleshooting while under the influence. Bad news! }}}

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back