Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #45,736 of 148,579
...Rarely hear a rock recording that sounds as bad as a live concert (from a sound quality perspective, the live show experience is another mater)...

I'm sorry you never got to a Grateful Dead concert, the sound at their shows was otherworldly.

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #45,741 of 148,579
Hey all,

Hopefully I'll see some of you at Axpona in a few days. I'll be in on Friday and Saturday (and Sunday morning for a bit). We'll have two areas, one for headphones and a speaker room. I expect I'll be bouncing around between the two areas. Sorry, nothing new to announce, though we are very close on a lot of kit. We will have Sol, Aegir, and Ragnarok 2 on hand, though.

In other news, the Schiitrmeet last Friday was very cool. We had our first piece of non-Schiit gear, a hand-built tube amp by Jeb DePaiva of DePaiva Audioworks. We A-Bed his amp against Ragnarok 1, then against Aegir and Freya, all on Magnepan 1.7s. To cut to the chase: it slaughtered Ragnarok 1, but Aegir and Freya got a lot closer. In the end, we were trading detail for harmonic richness with Aegir and Freya, but I think that everyone agreed that both options produced really good sound. If the custom amp's output transformers had been tapped for 4 ohms, maybe it would have pulled even with detail and retained the richness.

In any case, it was a convincing demo of how all-tube, transformer-coupled amps are a great listen. An interesting technical detail in Jeb's amp included a Compactron tube on the input, which is something I've considered in the past as NOS tubes continue to get more scarce, since Compactrons were some of the latest tubes produced, some had amazing performance, and most are available in large quantities and quite affordable even today.

I'm looking forward to hearing other gear—definitely bring both speaker and headphone gear and we'll do some A-Bing. In the meantime, definitely hit Jeb up if you're looking for something custom!

Now, back to the real work. There's a ton of stuff still to do....

All the best,
Jason
A power amp with compactrons, now you're talkin' hot Schiit. Triodes please, and single ended, pretty please. Best to also offer a purpose designed, crossover-less speaker with it ... Yeah.

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #45,742 of 148,579
[/QUOTE]
The Pink Floyd shows I've been to were pretty f'ing amazing, too. As good as the Dead shows I've been to.
Yes, Floyd was great, Peter Gabriel had a great sound system and a wonderful light show in the eighties and more recently both Neil Young and 21 Pilots had great sounding shows. Live can be really bad though, and as much as I try to not let it take away from the experience, it does. Nowadays it does, didn't use to.

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #45,743 of 148,579
Continuity is discussed in more detail here, and there's also an earlier discussion from when Lyr 3 was introduced. Forum search can be your friend.
Thanks for doing the search for me! I had read both posts before posting and just re-read them. No concrete answers to my specific questions there (at least not any I can deduce; I mentioned that I don't understand electronics very well.)

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #45,746 of 148,579
My pair of Aejirs are arriving tomorrow. Got the Fedex notice today. I'll be taking a day off work to be here to sign for the delivery.
Someone should start an Aegir impressions thread. When I searched yesterday there wasnt one yet.

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #45,748 of 148,579
Someone should start an Aegir impressions thread. When I searched yesterday there wasnt one yet.
m9gvpzsv66n21.jpg

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #45,749 of 148,579
why-the-grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-changed-music-forever.jpg

When Owsley "Bear"Stanley was freed from Prison he designed the "Wall of Sound" which nearly bankrupted the then nine-year-old band called the Grateful Dead. Some have termed it the only truly "Audiophile" speaker system of the rock concert era.

My first Dead show was in 1977, but recordings from that fateful 1974 tour are readily available, and even "audience" taped concerts sound almost as good as "soundboard".

"The Wall of Sound fulfilled Owsley's desire for a distortion-free sound system that could also serve as its own monitoring system. The Wall of Sound was the largest concert sound system built at that time."-Wikipedia

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #45,750 of 148,579

When Owsley "Bear"Stanley was freed from Prison he designed the "Wall of Sound" which nearly bankrupted the then nine-year-old band called the Grateful Dead. Some have termed it the only truly "Audiophile" speaker system of the rock concert era.

My first Dead show was in 1977, but recordings from that fateful 1974 tour are readily available, and even "audience" taped concerts sound almost as good as "soundboard".

"The Wall of Sound fulfilled Owsley's desire for a distortion-free sound system that could also serve as its own monitoring system. The Wall of Sound was the largest concert sound system built at that time."-Wikipedia

A friend who had experienced the WOS shared this anecdote: "The sound was so clean I could not tell how loud they were playing. When I tried to talk to the guy next to me I had to shout to be heard, the sound was so loud and yet so clean." (Paraphrased from a long ago memory.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back