Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #45,631 of 148,518
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #45,633 of 148,518
snip
I decided to check out what realistic speaker cable resistances might be to get some idea of the magnitudes involved. I used american values (AWG/gauge) and resistance values from http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/wirega.html. The table is for solid wire. Speaker wire, I assume, is almost exclusively stranded but I didn't try to check solid -vs- stranded resistances for a given gauge.

24 gauge is thin lamp cord. 14 gauge is normal 120v/15-amp circuit house wiring. 10 gauge is pretty fat. I think some high end cables can be even fatter. Blue Jeans sells 10-14awg cables.

So based on a 10' cable (20' of wire) (6m) of different sizes, with the 3000 DF amplifier and 8 ohm speaker, I get

(gauge, 20' wire resistance, DF)
24awg, .5ohm, DF=16
22awg, .32ohm, DF=25
16awg, .08ohm, DF=97
14awg, .05ohm, DF=152
10awg, .02ohm, DF=356

If the amplifier DF was 100 to begin with, 16awg -> DF=50 and 10awg -> DF=80.

It seems unlikely folks in this forum would be using 24awg (I use 16awg 10' cables) but it seems that there could well be an audible difference between the cables even at the 16-10awg range.

Post updated to account for 20 feet of total wire in a 10 foot speaker cable (thanks to jimmers for the heads up)
This reinforces my observation that keeping the headphone/speakers cables short and fat, makes me happy.

This and also applies to the power cables, but for different reasons.

JJ

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #45,634 of 148,518
Will internal photos of Aegir be posted? Curious to see what the inside looks like. :smile:

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #45,637 of 148,518
With multiple SUMO amps and INFINITY 9/6 Kappas in the garage, I listen these days to 25 year old headphones (AKG K280 etc.) with a Bitfrost Multibit and Asgard 2.

Any plans for a garage sale anytime soon?

:wink:

JC

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #45,638 of 148,518
I use a Little Bear for this. How does that one compare do you think?

I don't believe I've seen that one before, I'm somewhat of a Sinophobe when it comes to electronics (a primary driver to me become such a Schiit-head). So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The few pieces of Chi-fi I've bought over the years have always been very disappointing in performance and quality (Oppo OPDV971H [the internal DAC/preamp is unusable with a "wow"-like volume fluctuation issue] and the Bravo V2 and FiiO E6 headamps both of which have all kinds of audible hiss and noise). The Oppo, I paid $20 for to use as a CD transport anyway and is paired with a slightly modified Modi Uber which works just fine.

Since it is passive you are probably just fine if all you need is 2 sources in. And my comments about rewiring or repair regarding the switch witch are likely just as applicable to the Little Bear.

Are you happy with it? If so that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #45,639 of 148,518
Hey all, it's another SchiitrMeet tonight, so if you want to come by and talk, I'll be there.

No huge sekrit products to show this time, but we'll have production Aegir and Vidar on Magnepan 1.7s for you to listen to. Or, even better, bring some of your own gear.

As usual, it's 6-10 at The Schiitr, 22508 Market Street Newhall CA 91321. Sorry, no flying cars or teleportation devices are available. At least not yet.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #45,640 of 148,518
No huge sekrit products to show this time,

sekrit1.jpg

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #45,641 of 148,518
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #45,642 of 148,518
Hey all, it's another SchiitrMeet tonight, so if you want to come by and talk, I'll be there.
... but we'll have production Aegir and Vidar on Magnepan 1.7s for you to listen to. ...

Uncanny, now that's interesting. I've been ruminating on those .7's of late and wondering exactly how the Aegir and/or Vidar would sound on them (although my Ragnarok should be okay as well). I've been headphones only since 2004 but the itch to get back to in-room speakers is strong of late with me. My first boxes were KLH 5's in 1970, followed by AR3a's, and then Maggie Tympani 1U's. Although over the following 5 decades I ran the gauntlet of Dahlquist DQ10's, Vandersteen 2C's, Quad ESL's and 63'#'s and on and on, the sound of those Maggies driven by all tube Dynaco's I built from kits haunts me as still one of the best sounds I ever enjoyed. Unfortunately, until you install a Schiit'r here on the east coast...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #45,643 of 148,518
Uncanny, now that's interesting. I've been ruminating on those 1.7's of late and wondering exactly how the Aegir and/or Vidar would sound on them (although my Ragnarok should be okay as well). I've been headphones only since 2004 but the itch to get back to in-room speakers is strong of late with me. My first boxes were KLH 5's in 1970, followed by AR3a's, and then Maggie Tympani 1U's. Although over the following 5 decades I ran the gauntlet of Dahlquist DQ10's, Vandersteen 2C's, Quad ESL's and 63'#'s and on and on, the sound of those Maggies driven by all tube Dynaco's I built from kits haunts me as still one of the best sounds I ever enjoyed. Unfortunately, until you install a Schiit'r here on the east coast...

Maryland is nicely located in the middle of the East Coast if your looking for Schiitr locations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back