Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #45,587 of 145,589
Couldn't agree more Jason. As an audio nut for over 30 years, it has always astounded me how many people in this hobby seem to flip through gear faster that they change their clothes. I used to subscribe to many stereo magazines (I wont list them all, but one was Stereophile) and I couldn't believe how some guys were selling their 6 month old gear for half price or less...just so they could fund their latest "new path to audio nirvana". Me, I keep my gear for years and when I DO move up, I spend 6-12 months researching to find what I want...and then at least another 2-3 to get a price I can afford and am willing to pay (even if that means buying used). It does seems sometimes, that many people dont spend enough time tweaking their gear (or finding other components that match well with it) before they slap a for sale sign on it. In many cases, it seems like they couldn't even be bothered to spend enough time with the piece of gear, before they labeled it inferior for their needs and sent it off to the trade-in shelf. Seems like a shame...alot of good gear gets dissed just because it wasn't paired with the right other gear, and was discounted before it got a chance to shine within the context of a synergistic system. Oh well, bargain hunter types like me just end up getting better deals on the used stuff.
To take your time is a bit sadistic but also FUN! I remember when upgrading from my all in one Panasonic radio/tape/record system to Rotel I first bought the pre amp and then had to wait a whole year to buy the power amp...not sure i have the same patience nowadays

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #45,589 of 145,589
Just have to skip the sidegrading and keep three different amps and a collection of headphones to create the combo that best fits your mood. :)

GY19C0w.jpg
that is a whole lotta of Schiit! Always in a Schiit mood!

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #45,590 of 145,589
Apr 4, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #45,591 of 145,589
Just have to skip the sidegrading and keep three different amps and a collection of headphones to create the combo that best fits your mood. :)

GY19C0w.jpg

Is your MJ2 connected via the Yggy’s rca out?

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #45,592 of 145,589
...I have experienced less expensive, and MORE expensive, and for the latter, I never found the cost to justify the inconsequential improvement...

...I do find it fun to try a bunch of headphones, but when it comes to source and amp, I'm of the "get something you feel is good enough" camp, and worry mainly about the actual transducers.

Yep...same here!

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #45,596 of 145,589
Correction, something by SCHIIT that is a Magni/Modi in one chassis. I want something aesthetically pleasing as well, IMHO of course.

I've already had dac/amps from other manufacturers of varying price levels. I really kinda just want the Schiits. :wink:

I would already be the owner of a Lyr 3 with multibit dac module if I could afford it, but I'd happily take something of that ilk for half the cost, hence why I'd like previously mentioned M/M all in one.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #45,597 of 145,589
Pretend someone was to use multiple Vidars and Aegirs to control a myriad of speakers.
Pretend he/she wants to control each L/R-set separate in output volume.
Is there a pre-amp that can separately control multiple output channels?
Like a studio mixer but for hifi?
I don't need commends on the SQ. Just some pointers to right pre-amps.
It's for someone on this forum who didn't have the nerve to ask the question himself.
I'm not sure if this fits the bill but I am using a "pro audio" ROLLS DA134 Distribution Amplifier which takes one line level stereo input and has four volume controlled line level stereo outputs. The inverse of this is a ROLLS MiniMix Pro MX122 which mixes four inputs to one output. I've also used a ROLLS Stereophile Headphone Amplifier HA243, which takes two line inputs with four A/B switchable headphone outputs, to drive headphones and powered monitors. These items are in the $100-$130 range (USD).

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #45,598 of 145,589
Correction, something by SCHIIT that is a Magni/Modi in one chassis. I want something aesthetically pleasing as well, IMHO of course.

I've already had dac/amps from other manufacturers of varying price levels. I really kinda just want the Schiits. :wink:

I would already be the owner of a Lyr 3 with multibit dac module if I could afford it, but I'd happily take something of that ilk for half the cost, hence why I'd like previously mentioned M/M all in one.
Two elastics do wonders

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #45,599 of 145,589
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #45,600 of 145,589
It turns out a new audio purchase creates a whole stream of endorphins causing a grand feeling of well-being.
So, we buy stuff because we have no friends. That's really sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back