Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #45,301 of 145,769
Right on the money, @PolarBehr XKCD always needs a repost. Love it (I'm the dude holding the mollusc). {rant-edit: 'applied' has a negative connotation in Ontario high schools. Oh, you're in Applied Science 10... I'm in Academic Science :triportsad:}.

I think there has long been the rift between the applied and theoretical schools of different fields. Yes, there are those who bounce between the two.

I disagree with one thing here. Biology is not just applied chemistry. Why? Evolution.

Yes, but what is evolution but the result of errors in a chemical process (DNA replication and/or RNA transcription) and unintended changes in a chemical structure? (reductionist perspective yes, but as a chemist, or former chemist, I have to poke in good fun. And I am tired and it is early and I do not know better)

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #45,303 of 145,769

Steve recommending tone controls (also the Loki Mini)

I quite like Loki. It’s transparent in my system when switched off and when on it doesn’t reduce detail from what I can tell. I’m using a VERY clean pre though (Saga) with extremely low PF interconnects (BTE Designs Van Damme silver @55pf/ft). I like to keep it in the chain to give a little boost to albums that are mastered dead flat. Kind of like the theory around a “House curve”: https://www.hometheatershack.com/fo...urve-what-why-you-need-how-do.html#/topics/96

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #45,305 of 145,769
{rant-edit: 'applied' has a negative connotation in Ontario high schools. Oh, you're in Applied Science 10... I'm in Academic Science :triportsad:}.
It's because of lack of high-tech jobs in Canada. If you are in science, pretty much the only choice of employment is in academia (university). In other places applied sciences are valued higher than academic.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #45,306 of 145,769

Steve recommending tone controls (also the Loki Mini)

Steve mentions using the loki between your preamp and amp, but I have used it differently since I don't own a Saga.

I have a Loki mini and when I use it I have placed it between my Mimby and the Headamp (Jotenhiem or Mainline).

I understand the benefits of using it after your preamp if you are using multiple sources (Mani, DAC) but the only input switching preamp I have is Freya and Loki isn't balanced (yet Loki Max!).

Is there any downside, besides being limited to a single upstream DAC (or Phono, etc), to putting the Loki between your DAC and Amp/Preamp? After all the Schiit Loki page does show the Loki sandwiched between a Modi 2 and a Magni (photo should be updated to a Modi 3 or Mimby).

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #45,307 of 145,769
Steve mentions using the loki between your preamp and amp, but I have used it differently since I don't own a Saga.

I have a Loki mini and when I use it I have placed it between my Mimby and the Headamp (Jotenhiem or Mainline).

I understand the benefits of using it after your preamp if you are using multiple sources (Mani, DAC) but the only input switching preamp I have is Freya and Loki isn't balanced (yet Loki Max!).

Is there any downside, besides being limited to a single upstream DAC (or Phono, etc), to putting the Loki between your DAC and Amp/Preamp? After all the Schiit Loki page does show the Loki sandwiched between a Modi 2 and a Magni (photo should be updated to a Modi 3 or Mimby).

I would guess the majority of Loki users have it exactly like you do - between DAC and amp. I had it that way for a long time but now I have a SYS in between Mimby and Loki, to facilitate a turntable.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #45,308 of 145,769
Im sure most of us cant wait for the (not planned) Loki Maxi.

Or is it just me? :)

Mar 29, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #45,310 of 145,769
Not true. For Freya, with no tubes installed, the B+ bus voltage increases to a value where the power supply capacitors are overstressed. Contact Schiit before you decide to try it.

In point 5 of post 13113 of this thread @Jason Stoddard mentions leaving the tubes out to allow a cooler running Freya. See here for the post —> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...obable-start-up.701900/page-875#post-12929614 In that case you’d have thought it was something the designer had anticipated.

Your quoted post is from 2010. I sent an inquiry and some measurements to Schiit in March 2018 about this and Jason personally replied to me: "I'll investigate further, and in the meantime, let tech know not to recommend running without tubes or LISST". Sometimes issues are overtaken by events.

As of March 28, 2019, Schiit tech support says "[y]ou can run the [F]reya just fine without tubes. Shouldn't be an issue." Perhaps @Jason Stoddard could clarify whether running changes were made to address this issue? We know there have running changes to Freya given the gain in tube mode was 5 (14dB) at launch and is now 2.5 (8dB).

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #45,311 of 145,769
As of March 28, 2019, Schiit tech support says "[y]ou can run the [F]reya just fine without tubes. Shouldn't be an issue." Perhaps @Jason Stoddard could clarify whether running changes were made to address this issue? We know there have running changes to Freya given the gain in tube mode was 5 (14dB) at launch and is now 2.5 (8dB).

I'll talk with tech support. I don't think we're recommending running Freya without tubes. Sorry for the confusion.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #45,312 of 145,769
In other news, looks like we'll be opening up Aegir ordering on Tuesday.

FINALLY.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #45,315 of 145,769
Now that Aegir is coming I have a question.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RS8 speakers. 91dB and an easy load. My 30w Naim Unitiqute fills my room nicely with sound and by my best calculations I never use beyond about 10 Watts of power.

The rub for me is the specifications on the Speaker say Minimum 40 Watts.

Would I be crazy to consider Aegir as am amp? I'm thinking that 40W minimum rating is for HT receivers which outright lie about their specs. Sure a good 20W or my existing good 30W amps aren't hurting these speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back