Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #44,791 of 149,105
Mar 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #44,792 of 149,105
Patents actually afford zero protection, while showing exactly what you're doing to everyone. Add a large legal budget and a team of lawyers and lots of time, and sure, you can protect your patent by suing infringers into submission, but that's not a viable business model for us. I doubt if you'd like to see $500 Modis and $5000 Vidars. (And we wouldn't last long making them.)

This made me laugh because being a patent lawyer is what I do when I'm not listening to music.

It is true that there is always a risk that your patent application never grants, at least in a commercially valuable form. But since you guys seem to be doing stuff that is actually innovative, I would say this risk is quite low.

You are right that patents are expensive. Filing an application and prosecuting it through to grant can easily cost $50 grand. Employing a trade secret strategy is smart where your innovation is difficult to reverse engineer.

But if you think that patents really afford zero protection, you need to speak to better patent lawyers and better IP strategists. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #44,793 of 149,105
Is there any word of Schiit revising the Asgard similar to the new Lyr and Jotunheim? I very nearly pulled the trigger on the Jotunheim until I discovered it doesn't switch outputs like most of their other amps. I considered the new Lyr as well, but I'd really prefer something that can be left on. I saw a revision to the Asgard teased in a recent(ish) post by Jason, and their support staff said something like the above would potentially come out later this year, but I haven't been able to find anything concrete on this.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #44,794 of 149,105
This made me laugh because being a patent lawyer is what I do when I'm not listening to music.

It is true that there is always a risk that your patent application never grants, at least in a commercially valuable form. But since you guys seem to be doing stuff that is actually innovative, I would say this risk is quite low.

You are right that patents are expensive. Filing an application and prosecuting it through to grant can easily cost $50 grand. Employing a trade secret strategy is smart where your innovation is difficult to reverse engineer.

But if you think that patents really afford zero protection, you need to speak to better patent lawyers and better IP strategists. :smile_phones:

I can't believe you just offered to provide expert legal counsel on a pro bono basis to help keep prices down for the rest of us. Amazing!

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #44,795 of 149,105
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #44,796 of 149,105
You're missing my point. You'd said that "windows" is a common word and Microsoft had achieved the impossible by trademarking it. So have Apple, and Target, and countless others with common words also achieved the impossible? Nobody else can name their department store Target, even with a different logo.

With respect to Windows, Microsoft was initially denied the trademark in 1993 because the terminology of "window" was already starting to be used in the computer industry. Microsoft argued that "Windows" with a capital W and ending with an s, and referring to an operating system was unique, and they were later granted the trademark in 1995. They have not trademarked a common word but a very specific usage.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/we-own-windows-trademark-microsoft/

If you say so. I'll just go back to having done this stuff for almost 30 years and consider my navel.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #44,797 of 149,105
AND, a trademark can often be restricted to the "trade," meaning just because someone else has applied a TM to the word "Monster" in one industry, it may or may not apply to another industry, regardless of what the TM owner might like. So I can call my power drink Monster and not infringe on an electronics company's trademark. :)

Not CAN be, it IS. By definition. Also by territory.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #44,798 of 149,105
I think the burrito filter is a great trademark. I have no clue what it means or how filters work, but it makes me stop and think. The point of these trademarks are for people to pay attention to boring technology. Call your trademarks silly stuff like your names, get people thinking about clocks, multibit dacs, filters, and output stages!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #44,799 of 149,105
Great ... thanks for the return to partial sanity :)

Accirding to the article, Aegir will be tentatively ready on the 3rd week of march.
Cant wait!!

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #44,800 of 149,105
When I read "unison USB", I assume it's some sort of uniting interface that can handle any kind of USB.
One letter away from a sleep aid, right? (Implies that it’s vewwy vewwy qwiet.) Apologies. Just funnin’.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #44,804 of 149,105
Patents are like condoms. They provide excellent protection when employed and observed properly, and it can be quite expensive to recover damages and to pay for damages when they are violated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back