Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 8, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #44,611 of 145,573
You can also try the black sharpie painted over the led approach.
It does take a deft hand to not smoodge it all over the front, but its cheaper than buying a bunch of 'dimmer dots' that are sold for just this purpose.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #44,612 of 145,573
Some folks will remember there have more than a few comments about bright lights in the past. I was a bit cavalier about it until I got my modi 2. It was positioned in my peripheral vision next to my computer screen and the bright light was constantly demanding my attention.
The first solution was to clip a small patch from the sticky part of a post-it and stick that over the light. That muted the brightness but also turned it yellowish green.
The second try was to clip a small patch from some light weight white paper and glue it on with temporary glue stick (sort of post-it like glue). That was still bright but a second layer did the trick. Still had the nice white light but toned down to a non-distracting level.

I just used 2 tiny layers of blue painters tape, all my gear sits ~14 feet away from me so I can't see the tape, and the blue lights match everything else I have...

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #44,615 of 145,573
It's written.

I am just debating if I want to publish my thoughts on each of the multi-bit DACs individually first, or just do the all-up review/comparison instead.

I currently own a Mimby (April 2017). I've heard Y1 extensively and loved it (over Gumby V1). I've never heard Y2 and don't really know how it's different. My chain is SE but can do Balanced > SE. I assume Y2 is really what I want but always wonder if there's a better way for my wallet. My application is in a 2.0 speaker setup.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #44,616 of 145,573
I currently own a Mimby (April 2017). I've heard Y1 extensively and loved it (over Gumby V1). I've never heard Y2 and don't really know how it's different. My chain is SE but can do Balanced > SE. I assume Y2 is really what I want but always wonder if there's a better way for my wallet. My application is in a 2.0 speaker setup.
Many people have said the latest Gumby with B serial number (unofficial A2?) sounds much closer to the Yggy1. Where as the Yggy A2 is more similar to Gumby A1. I can attest to at least that 2nd part having owned the original Gumby, a B-serial Gumby, and a Yggy A2 at the same time. Yggy A2 was more similar sounding to the original Gumby. So a recent Gumby B might be right up your alley if you really liked the Y1, and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #44,617 of 145,573
Many people have said the latest Gumby with B serial number (unofficial A2?) sounds much closer to the Yggy1. Where as the Yggy A2 is more similar to Gumby A1. I can attest to at least that 2nd part having owned the original Gumby, a B-serial Gumby, and a Yggy A2 at the same time. Yggy A2 was more similar sounding to the original Gumby. So a recent Gumby B might be right up your alley if you really liked the Y1, and a lot cheaper.

Interesting. Yes, I preferred Y1 to GMB1. Have not spent serious time with either Y2 or GMB"2". Does anyone else agree with that? @Torq ?

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #44,619 of 145,573
Yep, I'd say that's broadly my take on it. Yggdrasil A2 is still better on the technicalities, but signature wise its closer to the original Gungnir MB than Yggdrasil A1 was.

My impression of GMB1 was that it was more syrupy, laid back, thicker wheraaw Y1 was more energetic, nuanced, yet still with a sweet mid-range/bass authority. If this describes GMB2 then yeah, I'd be happy.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #44,621 of 145,573
My impression of GMB1 was that it was more syrupy, laid back, thicker wheraaw Y1 was more energetic, nuanced, yet still with a sweet mid-range/bass authority. If this describes GMB2 then yeah, I'd be happy.
While I would never personally classify Gumby1 as “syrupy”, laid back I would agree with. It was a pleasure machine, slightly warm and a touch rolled off in the highs and sweet through the mids yes. The current generation Gumby is more energetic with lower noise floor and punchier dynamics. It still doesn’t have the technicalities and resolution of Yggy and the ability to bring as much in the way of soundstage and spacial queues, but it has better separation of instruments and more even tonality than Gumby1 - not as warm and not as euphonic. But definitely not cold or bright or hard sounding either - more neutral in a good way, if you don’t tend to like the warm/euphonic sound from your DAC.

No word from the Schiiter last night? Cmon cmon....
I’m curious about this as well...looking forward to any info or impressions!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #44,622 of 145,573
.....{snip}........It was a pleasure machine, .....{snip}.....
There's a 1973 Woody Allen comedy that had a machine... just... like... that.

Anybody remember the movie, Sleeper?
sleeper_orgasmic_orb.jpg
Source: https://gregd3.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/sleeper_orgasmic_orb.jpg
Downloaded March 9, 2019.

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #44,623 of 145,573
Any reports from the Shiitr last night?

How did Sol, Aegir and Rag2 sound?

I have been waiting for the Aegir for so long that if Schiit does a preorder I would buy it now. First time for me to be an early adopter

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #44,625 of 145,573
If Schiitr meet happened on Saturday which would be right now, I would've been there for sure

Same here. I refuse to drive from the O C to the Schiitr on a Friday evening. I would have to leave at 2 PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back