Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #44,326 of 149,078
I'll be tweaking this set-up until I croak (or the next OS upgrade).

I think I must be really lucky--before I had an opportunity to get confused with DNLP and BubbleUp, 7-up or Sprite... my big time computer geek friend said three letters and my whole Networking adventure was now a solution...SSH, specifically OpenSSH. You find the IP address on the computer where the files live, it is the server. My RasPi is endpoints equipped with HifiBerry and Allo SPDIF transports.
I go to the file manager of the RasPi and type "Sftp://192.xxx.xx.xx/robert/Music" with the xx's being the IP address and sign on to the server. BOOM all my Music is now available, as if on the hard drive at the end-point. So easy even this old dog learned the trick!

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #44,327 of 149,078
Ah, so my FLAC files might be invisible. Thanks for the heads' up, @golfbravobravo .

edit -- aaaaand @golfbravobravo was right. Yeesh. FLAC's invisible on my mother-desktop. Ah well. I use my WiFi box for FLAC... and DLNA for AAC, MP3, and ALAC (?). Messy. Meh....
Before I moved to Roon, I was using https://minimserver.com/ to serve my FLAC library. On a Synology NAS, not on Windows, but MinimServer is cross-platform. Worth a try?

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #44,328 of 149,078
I think I must be really lucky--before I had an opportunity to get confused with DNLP and BubbleUp, 7-up or Sprite... my big time computer geek friend said three letters and my whole Networking adventure was now a solution...SSH, specifically OpenSSH. You find the IP address on the computer where the files live, it is the server. My RasPi is endpoints equipped with HifiBerry and Allo SPDIF transports.
I go to the file manager of the RasPi and type "Sftp://192.xxx.xx.xx/robert/Music" with the xx's being the IP address and sign on to the server. BOOM all my Music is now available, as if on the hard drive at the end-point. So easy even this old dog learned the trick!

I think you may be confusing a number of protocols here: SSH is Secure SHell (OpenSSH is one implementation) and enables command line (shell) access to the client to which you are connecting. SFTP (Secure File Transport Protocol) can stream files but there are better ways to connect to a server. For example, most all Linux implementations have a network facility that enables connection to file servers, windows, com sputters, etc. The files are then accessible (permanently) to the player you use on your Pi.

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #44,329 of 149,078
Glad to hear you’re planning to include speakers in your upgrade path. I’m not saying you won’t get a step up in sound quality on your current speakers with Vidar and Saga - you will for sure. But they will certainly be a significant limiting factor in your system. However once you do find the speakers you want, you’ll definitely have the chain behind it to show you their true sound, that’s for sure. There’s no perfect path with this stuff.

As far as Aegir vs Vidar, the general idea with Aegir is that it’s lower powered amp, which means, in general, it will match better with higher efficiency/sensitivity speakers. I would say 90dB sensitivity or higher the better. Most bookshelf sized speakers will not achieve this, if that’s what you’re considering in the future. Vidar is a more versatile amp because of its high power output, it can power just about anything except maybe the really power hungry speakers like bigger Maggies (but as monoblocks I’m sure they could). And it sounds terrific, I love mine.

Thanks for the input. New speakers eventually will be in the works. However, in the meantime I'm wondering now...my current 8 ohms speakers have power handling of 15-100W. A Vidar supplies 100W. Is there any concern about using an amp that supplies the MAX amount to the speakers? Burning them out? Buzzing? Etc?

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #44,330 of 149,078
Thanks for the input. New speakers eventually will be in the works. However, in the meantime I'm wondering now...my current 8 ohms speakers have power handling of 15-100W. A Vidar supplies 100W. Is there any concern about using an amp that supplies the MAX amount to the speakers? Burning them out? Buzzing? Etc?

It should have no effect on sound until you get up to 100w, which you probably never will unless your speakers are insanely inefficient.

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #44,331 of 149,078
It should have no effect on sound until you get up to 100w, which you probably never will unless your speakers are insanely inefficient.
Gotcha. So Vidar isn't constantly sending 100W to the speakers? Does the amount depend on volume level? My speakers are 89 efficiency btw...

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #44,332 of 149,078
No concern whatsoever. You never approach a full 100W unless your speakers are horribly inefficient

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #44,333 of 149,078
Or your ears are horribly inefficient :joy::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #44,334 of 149,078
Gotcha. So Vidar isn't constantly sending 100W to the speakers? Does the amount depend on volume level? My speakers are 89 efficiency btw...
No, the total power going to your speakers is dependent on your volume. The basic way it works is that a doubling of power gives you 3db more. So for your speakers:

1w=89db
2w=92db
4w=95db
8w=98db
16w=101db
32w=104db
64w=107db

Now the power output jumps up and down as the song gets louder or quieter, but 107 db extremely loud. About as loud as having your head 3 feet away from a car horn.

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #44,335 of 149,078
Feb 24, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #44,336 of 149,078
Soo...about Aegir.

(Yeah, you know how this is gonna go.)

Looks like we WILL have a bit of a delay. Most likely a couple of weeks.

Why? Because it looks like we may have to scrap the PC boards we have. I'm not sure why, but they don't behave like the prototypes. It seems like they may have an internal problem.

This is why you do first articles. And, although it isn't the desired result, it's better than getting hundreds of them that are all messed up.

I'll report back as I know more. But guess what I'm doing today....

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 24, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #44,337 of 149,078
But guess what I'm doing today....

5E6A1DD2-9F47-44AA-B5ED-0717A47302A3.gif

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #44,338 of 149,078
Soo...about Aegir.

(Yeah, you know how this is gonna go.)

Looks like we WILL have a bit of a delay. Most likely a couple of weeks.

Why? Because it looks like we may have to scrap the PC boards we have. I'm not sure why, but they don't behave like the prototypes. It seems like they may have an internal problem.

This is why you do first articles. And, although it isn't the desired result, it's better than getting hundreds of them that are all messed up.

Please do not poke Edsel Murphy with your test probe. He always gets his revenge---at your expense.

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #44,340 of 149,078
Soo...about Aegir.
Bummer news, but just another (Sun)day at the office, eh? Thanks for taking time away from troubleshooting to keep us in the loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back