Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #44,267 of 149,157
I’ve not posted here for quite a while, and just want to say R.I.P ORT. I always found his posts to be witty and opinionated, in a good way. Very sad news.

Nice system @wout31
I had one of those Marantz CD players. A lovely sounding player.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #44,269 of 149,157
I just updated my Schiit stack (new layout). The only thing missing in the picture is Magni3, which is on loan to a friend to evaluate.
The Mani phone pre-amp is tugged away behind the Yggy. So that makes a total of 8 pieces of Schiit.

Killer system! I see you’re using LISST tubes in the Freya. I don’t see that they’re even available anymore. Do you like them, and do you primarily use that as your gain stage or the passive side of the pre?

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #44,271 of 149,157
I see. Thanks for the info. Can i trouble you to share the links to the feedbacks you read. I tried searching here and also at the other forum but not much useful results.
Not really, there are various restrictions on what can be linked where. Anyway, the information that the Schiit co-founders have provided about this new board on Head-Fi says pretty much everything that matters.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #44,272 of 149,157
Dilbert - won't work.gif

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #44,273 of 149,157
I just updated my Schiit stack (new layout). The only thing missing in the picture is Magni3, which is on loan to a friend to evaluate.
The Mani phone pre-amp is tugged away behind the Yggy. So that makes a total of 8 pieces of Schiit.

Nice setup. I realized late last year that I had built up quite a stack of Schiit myself - was up to 10 units, but now down to 8, mainly because I was comparing A few DACs between a couple of systems (some of which are sold now).

41C2AD15-D9D2-40B2-B196-E9FC0D0F3034.jpeg

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #44,275 of 149,157
Nice setup. I realized late last year that I had built up quite a stack of Schiit myself - was up to 10 units, but now down to 8, mainly because I was comparing A few DACs between a couple of systems (some of which are sold now).

Interesting idea using different "tubes" in each set on Freya. Can you give some feedback on your findings? How do you decide what goes where?

Cheers

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #44,276 of 149,157
Interesting idea using different "tubes" in each set on Freya. Can you give some feedback on your findings? How do you decide what goes where?

Cheers
I was curious about the LISSTs and found a used quad that I decided to try out. That’s what I was up to when I took that pic actually.

The quad of LISST I found had nice tonality and density, but lost a lot of that tube openness and spaciousness and soundstaging. So I decided to try out a pair in each of the stages along with a set of tubes. By swapping back and forth I was able to determine that you can retain a lot of the openness/spaciousness by having good tubes in the left side output stage, but still gain a lot of the tonal benefits from the LISST in the right side gain stage. This is my favourite sounding tube setup for Freya so far.

Based on that, as far as putting different pairs in Freya, you may want to try tonally rich or bassy tubes in the right side, and more spacious/open tubes in the left side to achieve a good balance and benefits of each.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #44,277 of 149,157

You were comparing 2 types of Gungnirs?

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #44,278 of 149,157
Killer system! I see you’re using LISST tubes in the Freya. I don’t see that they’re even available anymore. Do you like them, and do you primarily use that as your gain stage or the passive side of the pre?
I use LISST most of the time because I need the extra gain to get enough output from Vidar. My speakers (Quad ESL-63 electrostatic) are not the highest in efficiency, only some 82 dB. I can only use one Vidar so far, as tests with using them as mono block on the ESL's didn't wok out. The ESL is a very difficult load for an amp as it is in general a big capacitor.
Yes I like the LISST as they a silent. I couldn't find any tube (I tried several) to be as silent. There was always noise in quiet passages in the music, or when the music stopped.The best tubes I tried were matched Tungsols. Maybe there are better ones around, but I don't like to spent more on tubes then I spend on Freya.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #44,279 of 149,157

Love the Special 40's! If I ever downsize I'm going to do a 5.1 setup using 3 pairs of them :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #44,280 of 149,157
I was curious about the LISSTs and found a used quad that I decided to try out. That’s what I was up to when I took that pic actually.

The quad of LISST I found had nice tonality and density, but lost a lot of that tube openness and spaciousness and soundstaging. So I decided to try out a pair in each of the stages along with a set of tubes. By swapping back and forth I was able to determine that you can retain a lot of the openness/spaciousness by having good tubes in the left side output stage, but still gain a lot of the tonal benefits from the LISST in the right side gain stage. This is my favourite sounding tube setup for Freya so far.

Based on that, as far as putting different pairs in Freya, you may want to try tonally rich or bassy tubes in the right side, and more spacious/open tubes in the left side to achieve a good balance and benefits of each.
Thanks for the advice. Gonna try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back