Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #44,131 of 148,440
Jason I have a question.

When you say Unison USB will be in a card released sooner.

Do you mean this is a card I can plug into a computer pcie and interface with a new card in one of your DACs?

Or will this be isolated to the new CD transport coming out?
He means the USB cards in their upgradable DACs (and maybe amp/DACs, but that might come after).

Like the Gen 5 USB card.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #44,132 of 148,440
In case you guys are wondering why we suddenly seem to have more time, it's because things are getting worked out. We're a profoundly different company than a year ago. Hell, I just got an alert today from our support team that Nvidia drivers are causing hell with many USB DACs (not just ours) and WASAPI, and they're working to find a solution. If it can be worked. It may be an Nvidia-fix-thing. Not sure yet.

But suffice to say, everything is operating at a higher level. Support is really on it now, and they are now working together to solve problems, rather than shut doors. Production and test are operating much more proactively, and helping to find fixes to glitches that have been bothering us for a long time. Engineering has largely been unloaded from the Nightmare That Is USB. When you consider that Unison USB chewed up thousands of person-hours, and involved us becoming a USB signatory and figuring out stuff that the microprocessor manufacturer said was impossible, plus overseeing a fairly large beta test, plus internal testing, and you see what we've been dealing with. I can finally get Nexus into production and complete the analog IP push I've been working on for a long time (Continuity and Nexus are the two big things, plus Coherence on the tube side.)

So, if you've had issues with us in the past, I'd say: don't try us again now. Wait for a year. Or two. And see how we do now that things are really meshing.
The fact that you have delegated specific product development responsibility to an individual [like Sol to Tony], is a clear sign that your company is growing and maturing. Defining a task, selecting a leader, and letting them work, succeed, and sometimes fail, without micromanaging their efforts is a sign of mature senior management in the front office, This allows you to grow while freeing you to make the important decisions, and also helps mitigate risk. Best wishes in your endeavor--if I were not 3000 miles away and 75 years old, I would love to be a product engineer on your staff.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #44,133 of 148,440
He means the USB cards in their upgradable DACs (and maybe amp/DACs, but that might come after).

Like the Gen 5 USB card.

Okay and because it's USB they will just interface with USB?

so I can put one of these in an Yggdrasil and plug in any Win 10 ect... computer into it and it will work as intended?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #44,134 of 148,440
Windows 7 won't be dead just because Microsoft stops supporting it - some people will continue to use it anyway. Personally, I think you can decide not to support Windows 7 whenever you feel like it, and even after Microsoft ends its support, you're still going to get customers asking about Windows 7.
Or is the point to still have something for Windows 7 (the current products) until Microsoft declares it dead?

Also, W7 officially ends extended support January 14, 2020, FWIW. Then it is really, truly, 100% dead. Unless you want to roll the dice and end up paying someone in Bitcoin to unlock your computer.
When Microsoft declares something dead they just stop issuing security updates. And people cling to old operating systems due to inertia of mind and superstitious fears. I bet many people still use Windows XP. (I had to use it at work but only because the attached hardware wouldn't work with a more modern Windows; and it was off the net.)

And Microsoft's stopping issuing updates won't encourage people to upgrade because many people block updates on modern operating systems anyway. Technically Windows 7 will never be dead, it will become improbable :)

The way to make an operating system dead is to make more and more hardware that won't work with it. That's how XP became dead/improbable. So, please don't wait, release the new USB. It will help kill the W7.

As a side note there is a way to force-install any driver on W7 (on W10 too but more difficult). You might be surprised that your driver will unofficially work with W7.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #44,135 of 148,440
Anyone clinging to win7, I know there's the supposed spying issues and what not.

But if you have not tried Windows 10 you are sort of missing out on a good thing in my opinion.

I've had to force-feed Windows 7 machines their existing drivers because they wouldn't work any other way

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #44,136 of 148,440
Okay and because it's USB they will just interface with USB?

so I can put one of these in an Yggdrasil and plug in any Win 10 ect... computer into it and it will work as intended?

Yep, just like the current Gen 5 USB card that is in Yggdrasil right now (and Gumby and Bimby), which is this one:

https://www.schiit.com/products/gen-5-usb

That card in Yggy will simply be swapped with the new one when it’s ready, and then you plug in whatever Win 10 PC or Mac you want - at least that’s the hope (and some Linux it seems like as well).

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #44,137 of 148,440
Anyone clinging to win7, I know there's the supposed spying issues and what not.

But if you have not tried Windows 10 you are sort of missing out on a good thing in my opinion.

Eh. Of course my multimedia PC is still running Win7 Ultimate (for Windows Media Center). Figures that Unison won't work with it....grrr

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #44,138 of 148,440
I guess this also begs the question to @Jason Stoddard : will products like Yiggy have TWO USB inputs? One legacy Gen5 AND one Unison?

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #44,139 of 148,440
Hi @Jason Stoddard & Co.

Sorry I couldn't make it to NYC.

A few questions:

I'm totally tempted to buy a black Yiggy while I can but was under the impression that SchiitUSB was coming out Q1. Why buy now if I can get one with a better USB implementation in a few weeks?

What is Nexus on the Rag2? It's the name of an Android phone and a really expensive legal search engine to me.

What kind of DAC module is offered in Rag2? Bimby equivalent? Gumby?

I read that Sol was in NYC. How close are we on that? Will Schiit debut a new phono amp along with Sol? A new Mani?

What about the two questions above in bold?

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #44,140 of 148,440
Yep, just like the current Gen 5 USB card that is in Yggdrasil right now (and Gumby and Bimby), which is this one:

That card in Yggy will simply be swapped with the new one when it’s ready, and then you plug in whatever Win 10 PC or Mac you want - at least that’s the hope (and some Linux it seems like as well).
Although not stated, a motherboard firmware change may be required,

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #44,141 of 148,440

Cool I will be doing the swap myself.

I always wanted to take Yggy apart :ksc75smile:

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #44,142 of 148,440
Eh. Of course my multimedia PC is still running Win7 Ultimate (for Windows Media Center). Figures that Unison won't work with it....grrr

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it to work.

As was mentioned you can force install drivers it's not that difficult and it most likely would work.

Although maybe not :wink:

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #44,143 of 148,440
I guess this also begs the question to @Jason Stoddard : will products like Yiggy have TWO USB inputs? One legacy Gen5 AND one Unison?
Why would they do that? The whole point is to replace Cmedia chip with something better and that doesn’t tie them anymore to Cmedia chips.

Once Unison comes, Gen 5 will be dead. Simplifies things from production and inventory perspective too. Plus existing Yggy only has a hole and input switch for one USB input. Maybe in an updated Yggy, but who knows. Even if it did have two USB inputs, I guarantee it won’t come with Gen 5.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #44,144 of 148,440
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #44,145 of 148,440
I have a close friend who is a technician.

His business is actually repairing vintage audio gear.

He works on all kinds of stuff and is very talented and has the tools.

so even if a firmware update is required I'm hoping I would be able to do this in my hometown instead of shipping it off to California

Users who are viewing this thread

Back